Passion Keeps Eads Thinking Positive

CSI Files

Captain
One actor aims for constant improvement.<p><font color=yellow>George Eads</font> (Nick Stokes) has been on <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> since the show first began. Despite playing the same character for eight years, Eads stays positive. "I kinda took it as a personal challenge to evolve, to mature, to show change," Eads said in a press conference. "Every scene I do, I try to improve and make it better than my last."<p>"I think if I model my character after anyone, it's modeled after my father," Eads said. His dad was a district attorney for 28 years, and that had a profound effect on Eads. "He really put his heart and soul into every case he worked," he explained, saying that his father had a passion for justice and for the sorrow that a terrible crime leaves behind. One of his memories as a child involved hearing his father crying one night while looking at autopsy photos of a little girl who had been murdered. Having such memories about his father and the effect his work had on him, Eads said, is "pretty special."<p>So what does Eads want to see for Nick in the coming season? "I just want him to continue to exude strength of character," he said, but pointed out that it is ultimately up to the writers. Writing for the show, he explained, is a "group effort", and he said the writing team for <I>CSI</I> is "really talented". Eads also spoke about change on the show, saying that it can be scary. "Some of our characters are leaving," he explained. Eads also pointed out, "Grissom has got a short shelf life, and he's been my mentor both on the show and away from the show." However, it isn't just about who is departing. "Maybe the introduction of some new characters will help spice things up [and] keep it fresh," the actor suggested.<p>Eads described himself as passionate, saying that he truly loves his job. Once he is done with <I>CSI</I>, he plans to keep moving onward and upward. "It's the tip of the iceberg of what I want to do professionally," he explained. "I want to produce, I want to direct, I want to make film."<p>"I'm so proud of the fact that our show has spawned more scripted drama," Eads said. "I'm not a fan of reality TV, I'm a fan of scripted drama. I think it give work to artists." <I>CSI</I>, he said, employs 300 of these artists. The show has had other effects as well. Eads spoke about the ability to evoke emotion from the audience--and from himself. "I watched the final episode of season eight for us, and I found myself sobbing," he explained. "It was so emotional that I don't think there's anything else that can evoke a good cry in me like that, you know. I felt better after it."<p><I>CSI</I> has also had an effect on the real men and women who do this work. The show uses technology that is too expensive for most labs to afford, but <I>CSI</I> does inspire people to follow a scientific career path. While some critics say the franchise promotes crime, Eads argued that shows like <I>CSI</I> actually promote fighting crime. "All these young people are interested in forensics and science and stuff because of <I>CSI</I>," the actor said. As a man who wishes to inspire others, Eads was happy to note, "[T]hat's bigger than me."<p>The press conference can be viewed in its entirety on <A class="link" HREF="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4393022703393488313&hl=en">Google Video</a>.<center></center>

He is such an amazing person. He's honest about himself admitting that he cries which is a brave thing for a man to admit.

George has such a positive attitude about his profession, the show, the writers-particularly the writers who haven't always been very fair to Nick given how little screen time the character got in the beginning of the series.

I agree that he's an amazing person. When I read that he was "sobbing" after he watched the final episode of season eight, it made me go "awwweh!" It's great to see people expressing their true emotions and being honest with others about themselves.

The interview was very good and personal. They were things George talked about that you can really tell has affected him professionally and personally. Like his dad crying over the autopsy report and the time his mom and he had the guy from the Hell's Angels show up at their house. We now know why Nick is so upset when children are involved. Things like that stay with you and you could tell they've stayed with George for all these years.

You can tell when George was talking about CSI that he's in it for the long haul. He's trying to make Nick a better CSI and I think it has worked. I liked the comment he made about taking his dog out for a walk and working on trying to make Nick's lines flow better or work better for him. He's one dedicated actor. He was more relaxed talking about the show than he was about himself.

If you haven't seen the interview it's worth the 40 minutes :)

I loved this press conference with George. He was so nervous, it was cute.

You definitely could tell the passion he has for CSI and playing Nick. George always said they hired the right guy and I believe that. I truly believe he will stay until the show ends. It's great that he wants to produce and direct, but I want him in front the camera, as well.

They asked him about doing movies and he said he would love to, but a movie could take 6-8 months to do and he doesn't have that kind of time because of CSI. It's refreshing to see an actor so dedicated and loyal to the show he's on, where most would just leave the show to go into films.

When he was talking about things in his personal life you definitely could tell he was uncomfortable. When he talked about the Hells Angel guy coming to their house, you can tell by the look on his face that he was definitely back there, reliving it. This is what makes George a great actor, he speaks volumes just with the emotions his face shows.

And I agree Jacquie, it takes a real man to show his emotions and George is definitely a person who has his emotions on the surface. Though he didn't really elaborate and the characters that are leaving, I know Gary leaving will affect him deeply and Nick will portray that, as well. They're such good friends off screen too and they had such great chemistry on screen too.

I'm really glad that he has signed on for 2 more seasons. I'm looking forward to seeing Nick grow even more and hopefully, take that leadership role he so rightly deserves.

He pretty much rocks, who doesn't love him :phe's a sweetheart, and it's so great that he does have such a up-beat positive attitude, and with all his future plans, amazing actor, and great guy!

I liked how he said he wanted to movies so he could cuss. :guffaw:It is definitely a great interview.

I love George Eads. He is so cute. I saw parts of his interview and it was pretty good. He is the perfect person for Nick Stojkes. His acting is great. i love to watch him evaluate a crime scene.

Back