Parents Television Council Slams 'CSI'

CSI Files

Captain
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation may be the most-watched drama in the country, but that doesn't win it any points with the Parents Television Council, which rates it as the number five worst show on television.

According to the PTC's recently released list, shows are ranked based on how appropriate they are for family audiences based on their subject matter. Ten shows are ranked on the best shows list, while ten others are classified in the worst shows list. Though CSI came in at number five this year, last year the show was ranked in the number one slot.

Citing "distasteful story lines," the PTC adds that elements such as "graphic depictions of decaying bodies, grisly crime scenes, dissections, flashbacks of brutal rapes and murders, and kinky and bizarre sexual fetishes" make the show inappropriate for family audiences. CSI's timeslot, at 9pm as opposed to the later 10pm, is also too early in the PTC's view, and the occasional rerun at 8pm also draws their ire.

CSI was not the only CBS show to earn the disapproval of the PTC. CSI: Miami's lead-in show, Two and a Half Men landed just about CSI in the number four slot. And another CBS crime drama, Cold Case, landed in the tenth worst slot. Neither CSI: Miami or CSI's lead out show, Without a Trace made the worst shows list.

But in addition to having three shows on the worst shows list, CBS claimed the top spot on the best shows list with the freshman drama Joan of Arcadia. PTC commended the show for being "pro-family." Also on the best list is Everybody Loves Raymond, which came in at number seven. Everybody Loves Raymond preceds Two and a Half Men on Monday nights.

To see the complete PTC list of best and worst shows, visit their website here.<center></center>

It's a show about crime! Hello. And crime is not warm and fuzzy.

And yet... South Park isn't listed under any of those. Along with vulgar prone Trailer Park Boys and Da Ali G Show, all awesome programs I enjoy because they're funny, and I know they offend people.

South Park is great. I think all kids should watch it. It teaches important lessons, such as shoving food up your ass means you can reverse-digest it, or censorship of Canadian shows means a war which would eventually raise Hell (literally).

What's wrong with CSI? So? Crimes happen. In fact, if anything, CSI depicts lighter crimes. What happened to those cool episodes like Blood Drops? That was kickass. CSI at its finest (excluding Miami, of course, Miami had its own fine moments). All the blood everywhere and the whole family. It was kick ass!

And now these isolationist soccermoms want to put an end to my favourite TV shows? They can't mask their childen forever.

Soccer moms, listen up:

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LET TV CORRUPT YOUR KIDS, I WILL MAKE IT MY MISSION TO CORRUPT THEM MYSELF, PERSONALLY!!!

--iMat

Umm ok! I agree, it's a CRIME show! Man, what do you expect from a show that involves around Crime? Happy little vegimites???

No! We want brutal murders! Grisly crime scenes! And a hell of a lot more so our parents can go "avert your eyes" to us and we won't pay attention coz it's so cool! :D

Posted by CSI_Files:
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation may be the most-watched drama in the country, but that doesn't win it any points with the Parents Television Council, which rates it as the number five worst show on television.

According to the PTC's recently released list, shows are ranked based on how appropriate they are for family audiences based on their subject matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but CSI isn't aimed at a family audience anyway, is it? It certainly isn't over here in the UK where it is shown after the watershed. In other words, when the younger children are in bed. So, how can the PTC name a show in their list when it isn't aimed at the family anyway? I'm confused. :confused:

just dont take any notice of them...they are just stupid arrogant people poking their noses where they dont belong...
:D

No one can hide forever from the truth.

Besides. Who watches their "approved" shows anyways? Most of them are boring, fluffy TV trash that I'd rather get a vasectomy than have to go through with watching it.

--iMat

Sorry if I sound more cynical than usual, but doesn't it seem that by attacking the most popular shows, this organization is getting itself lots of free publicity. Publicity, of course, that will aid them immensely in fund-raising, which leads to fatter paychecks for the executives.
obi-jan

oooh! thats a good idea...be as cynical as you like...we love cynicalism here! ..which excutetives are you talking about? the Parent council televesion excutive or CSI excutive? :confused:

All of them, I guess. I meant the "morals hounds" but CBS/CSI execs benefit from the ratings boost that results from the publicity too. Who doesn't love the forbidden fruit?
obi-jan

This is SO stupid. There is a very good resolution to this problem. If these parents don't want their kids watching things as 'graphic' as CSI, then don't let them watch it...plain and simple. I swear people can be so stupid...:rolls eyes: If you let the kid watch TV by him or her self when these shows are on, and you don't restrict anything, then that is your fault. And there ARE ways to lock certain channels at certain times on most newer TV sets and/or cable boxes. So it is just the parents not being responsible enough to take care of it themselves. Grrr! This just makes me SO mad! I hope they don't switch the time back to 10pm...that is when ER is on. :eek: hehehe :lol:

~Sweet Jorja

Back