Need suggestions for my book.

I am a CSI detective from Seattle Police Department and I am currently working on a non-fiction book regarding our adventures as CSI detectives. The book will talk about real cases and will try to answer the question, "How do you deal with working on these types of cases?" Like the CSI shows, the book will be serious, funny, and have some emotional elements to it as well.

What I'd like to know is this: What kinds of topics or information would you like covered in a book like this? Do you have any questions about CSI work that you would like to learn more about?

I appreciate your suggestions and hope to be able to include them in my book. Thanks, Brian

Oh, wow that is awesome. I'm from Washington too. I know, random tidbit, but whatever. I would like to learn more about things like blood spatter trejectory (sp?) and DNA and pretty much everything else. I know, not very helpful but sometimes when I watch CSI and they talk about those things I get really confused and it would be nice to have a better understanding of them.

Hey, I'm from Washington too :D the Seattle area, you know everything in Washington is.."the Seattle area" :lol:
and CSI Seattle, there is a General CSI Discussion forum also to ask about what people like most about CSI
I'm sure the mod there (allmaple, she's super cool) will help you out

aw, im glad you think im super cool :D
i think what a lot of people want to know (myself included) is the evidence processing stuff. i know i watch and think 'can they really do that?' so the test and things you all run.
maybe for the funny part, talk about some weird cases youve encountered. again, some of the really outrages cases you watch and wonder if any of that stuff even happens. but ive learned real life is definitely stranger than fiction so throw in some of you strange experiences

Hi Pretty, thanks for your response. I like the idea of addressing what is on the show. Sometimes the scientific stuff does technical. Many times what they are doing is pumped up with Hollywood special FX as well. I definitely could discuss the facts and the fiction. Thanks again, Brian

Hi Allmaple, You come highly recommended as you can see in this string of posts. Thanks for the response. I will be adressing the fact and fiction aspect of my work. I have included in several chapters, where appropriate, some of the very funny things that have happened to us during the investigations. I have had several requests from the different areas on the web that I have asked, for information about the scientific techniques. I have been making it a point to incorporate that information into each story I tell. Again, I apprecitate your response. I may fire some questions to you later to get your opinion on other ideas. Thanks, Brian

I know that in my studies and work that I am currently involved in with my education (MFS), that learning and incorporating are two different things. I learn the best by hands on techniques, but learning the technique as in a textbook, the correct way to do things, is also appreciated.

Through school I am involved (with fellow students) in a hands on faux investigation, evidence processing, and subsequent trial this next summer. (harder than it looks, trust me. ;)) Incorporating some real life cases, the procedures that you utilized during the course of the investigation and evidence processing can be very helpful in your book. Funny stories are also a must! Good luck with the book

^^Wow, that sounds like fun. We did one of those in our Junior High, but it was really basic and all the test were done for us. Um...for your book I'd suggest putting something in about How you get to be a CSI. On the show they never really tell us what they did to get to where they are and I think that'd be pretty cool.

Back