Mosquito Blood

Alyssa

CSI Level Two
I have a rather strange question, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask it.

I've seen "Jurassic Park," but I want to know if there is any truth in this method. Is it possible to extract blood that a mosquito has gathered from a dead moquito?

In other words, if a mosquito drew my blood, and I killed it without splatting my own blood across my skin, would someone be able to later extract my blood from that mosquito? And, if so, for how long would it be possible to extract the blood? And if one could even draw the blood from the mosquito, would it be possible to match the blood with my own?

Thanks for advance for any help with this bizarre query.

I think it's been done in one NY episode. I forgot what it is though... But in the episode, Hawkes extracted blood from a mosquito and matched the DNA to a suspect.

I have no idea whether in real life you could do that or not... :) but supposed it's based on real research...

It was also done with leeches on CSI:Miami. So, it's the same principle. :)

It actually depends : in theory it is possible, but the blood would have to be extracted roght after the mosquito had drawn the blood : if he stings another person, then the blood will be "reinjected" I don't know how to say that. Basically, you'd have to do it no later then 10 minutes after you got stinged...I know there's also something about the mosquito's digestion, but I can't really remember

Back