Misc LIMS #1: ' Challenge 12-Marilyn Monroe-Results

Re: Misc LIMS #1: ' Challenge 7-Pooh-Voting Up'

Least:
04: It's hard to tell what's going on in this icon. The texture (if it is a texture) completely overwhelms the image.
10: oversharpened

Best:
02: Great colouring!
06: Very simple, works very well :)

LQ:

04- The idea was very creative, but it's hard to tell what's going on. A different color surrounding the subject(s) might have made them standout a little more.
10- A little bit over-sharpened, but the text and placement is very good.

BQ:

03- The text is very cute and the coloring is nice.
07- Very creative with the text, nice coloring.

Worst:
04: If I didn't know what the theme was, that'd just look like a blob. There's too many effects.
11: It's just boring. Not much colouring going on and the text is really plain.

Best:
09: I like the colouring and the text.
06: Same with this one. Nice colouring and text.

LQ:
11- Too plain, can't see a difference in the coloring, the position of the text is a little odd and the crop too centered.

To throw this out there, not every icon has to be glitzy and out there with techniques and such, sometimes a plain icon is what someone wants.

Lets refrain from commenting on other posters comments here. Everyone has a right to their opinion about what they like or don't like in an icon.

LQ
03 the text is fuzzy. It seems to blend in with the background
04 Even though this is an unique icon I find it hard to look at. I can't make out the text and the images.

bq
11 I like the colouring contrast.
07 I like the orange and white lettering contrast.

LQ:
11- Too plain, can't see a difference in the coloring, the position of the text is a little odd and the crop too centered.

To throw this out there, not every icon has to be glitzy and out there with techniques and such, sometimes a plain icon is what someone wants.

I actually went to S_W's post to see all the caps and what was donw in all the icons (thing, that I always do when I vote in LIMS), so I'm not assuming anything, I knew what I was saying, I knew that there were nothing done with the coloring!
And I didn't refer only about the coloring, did I? I talked about the crop and text, so I think I have enough reasons for, won't say I don't like the icon, but you know... It's getting hard to vote, and I just look to all details ;)
But, shouldn't I have my own opinion?

Alright guys, hold on for a second and take some much needed breaths. When someone makes a comment, you do not have the right to argue with the poster. Please allow me to make the decision if the poster's post doesn't follow the guidelines :) She did post her opinion and gave reasons. If it doesn't look like much has been done to an icon, I do think someone would be able to say it's too plain and since she backed it up with other issues such as crop and text, she and her post doesn't deserved to be be blasted.

Least
05 - The angle should have been wider, it is too focused on Pooh, the text doesn't really fit (I'd say it's the font that bothers me) as does the text brush on the lower white part.
02 - The white frame and the foggy effect kinda hurt the whole composition, they don't go well with the icon.

Best
06 - I don't know why but the icon makes me laugh. It may be plain and simple, but it has something about it that I really like.
04 - First I was about to vote for it in the "Least" category but then I changed my mind. It is something different and new and that's what I like. Maybe it's a bit too bright...but the idea rocks!

Least:
10 - It's really bright and a bit too sharp.
09 - The text is oddly placed

Best:
04 - I love the effects you did one this. Really different.
05 - Love the colouring :)

Alright guys, hold on for a second and take some much needed breaths. When someone makes a comment, you do not have the right to argue with the poster. Please allow me to make the decision if the poster's post doesn't follow the guidelines :) She did post her opinion and gave reasons. If it doesn't look like much has been done to an icon, I do think someone would be able to say it's too plain and since she backed it up with other issues such as crop and text, she and her post doesn't deserved to be be blasted.

No where did I say that her opinion was wrong. Why does it seem to be the trend to put words into others posts? I was pointing out that not every icon has to be over the top with extras. Also moniters are set with different color settings, so someone could have used coloring techniques and those might not show on another moniter with different settings.

And one more thing...what is wrong with plainer icons? Does everything have to be so bright that it's blinding and painful to the eyes?

No where did I say that her opinion was wrong. Why does it seem to be the trend to put words into others posts? I was pointing out that not every icon has to be over the top with extras. Also moniters are set with different color settings, so someone could have used coloring techniques and those might not show on another moniter with different settings.

And one more thing...what is wrong with plainer icons? Does everything have to be so bright that it's blinding and painful to the eyes?

OK enough is enough here starzgirl. I asked Something_wicked to make a comment about comments on others posts. I felt that if we have others commenting on voting post that some posters may feel discouraged from voting again. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I think that should be respected even though someone may not like the way it's been said.

If there are anymore comments to be made on this issue please pm me rather than take it up here :)

Voting to continue

Least
4 - I like the idea. Maybe done a different way it would have worked better. As is, it's hard to tell what it is.
2 - The white border intrudes on the coloring, I think.

Best
7 - I like the bright, sharp colors and the text. :)
8 - Love the text behind Tigger!

Least Quality:

8-
I like the idea of the text behind it and think that the maker made a brave and interesting choice by cropping so close. However, I don't think the crop is focused enough. I think it would look better if the icon stuck more to the rule of thirds in cropping. I also find the color of the background and text rather unpleasant and distracting next to Tigger. The colors don't seem to complement each other well and the background is brighter than the orange of Tigger, which again draws the focus away from the subject.

5-
I really like the coloring of this icon as well as the idea behind the text. However, the use of the screen under the text as well as the thickness and darkness of the text and its unusual font draws attention far too much away from Pooh. While ideawise, the text itself could work with more brightly colored text in a more "fun" font like impact or komika and with layer effects, preferably a stroke, I think that the use of black text and a sans serif font is too dull to make it work. I think the screen would work, but not with text and preferably at a lower opacity.

Best:

4- With another subject, this technique might not work as well, but I think Tigger has such a distinct and recognizable silhouette that the idea of the icon really works here. I love the originality of this icon, the creative use of largely limited coloring to draw attention to just the right place and the use of negative space. Gorgeous texture as well. The use of brushes (and is that text too?) behind Tigger adds a little extra to the icon without even coming close to overwhelming the subject. I love how the text also mirrors Tigger's silhouette in a way, with the taller end sticking up on the opposite side. I think it's really cool how the composition of the icon actually looks like a heart when the brush/text and subjects are viewed as a whole. It's an intriguing layout that is all too appropriate for such well-loved subjects. Also, the red/orange brush or texture adds a little air of magic, which is exactly what I'd expect from this fandom :) Awesome job!

9- I like the angle of the crop and how it allows for an interesting diagonal between Pooh's left ear, which almost hits the edge, and Tigger's tail, which crosses the diagonal-opposite edge even as the angle persists. The crop is simple, yet visually appealing and clever. The coloring has a very fun vintage feel to it, which I love, though I think the text doesn't quite match up as well as it could. Overall, though, the coloring and crop make it a strong icon :)

ETA: Ugh, whoa. Sorry to make it so long. Somehow it didn't quite look so bad on my word processor... >:\

Least:
04 - The texture overwhelms the actual picture, and it becomes hard to tell what's actually going on.
10 - A little too oversharpened.

Best:
07 - I love the text, what it says and the positioning of it, the colouring also looks great, well done. :D
08 - Lovely colouring, and the text has been positioned really well, nice job. :D

Least:
04. Is really busy, the textures and effects overpower the subject
11. Doesn't look like much has been done. Also, the text doesn't seem to fit the image and is oddly placed.

Best:
06. I lvoe the colouring and the text, very eye catching.
08. Great background and crop, really stands out.

Back