Love's Long Journey (CSI: Miami, E/C)

brookeAp3

Rookie
Love’s Long Journey

Chapter 1

Calleigh made her way down to the M.E.’s office with her head in a daze. She wasn’t quite able to think straight due to her mind being foggy and nearly forgot why she was down there in the first place as she walked over to Alexx and her table. On it was the D.B. that Calleigh had come down to question Alexx about.

“Hey Cal!” Alexx greeted her.

“Hi Alexx. Did you find the cause of death?” she asked seeing as it was the first thing that came to her mind to ask.

“I already called and told you that the bullet nicked her heart causing it to bleed out.” Alexx answered puzzled as why Calleigh had asked a question she had the answer to. “Are you ok?” she asked the concern emanating from her voice.

Calleigh gave her a reassuring smile “Yeah I’m fine. I’ve just got a lot on my mind and must have forgotten that you called. You know, habit.” Calleigh hoped that Alexx would accept the excuse.

But of course Calliegh was disappointed as Alexx knew immediately that something was up. “Calleigh you don’t forget things.” She remarked.

Calleigh of course knew that Alexx was right, but didn’t want to admit what was really on her mind. “Everyone is entitled to slip up once in awhile.”

Alexx studied Calleigh, a quizzical expression on her face. Calleigh hated it when someone slipped up and normally laid into the person that had. “Ok now I know something’s wrong, you’re not acting like yourself Cal. What’s wrong?”

Calleigh debated with herself whether she should tell Alexx her newly accepted realization that had been taking up a great deal of her thoughts. “It’s nothing, I’m fine” she answered knowing that her voice had come out flat.

“No you’re not.” She stated firmly. “Sweetheart, what’s bothering you?” she asked more softly. “You know you can talk to me.”

Calleigh looked at Alexx for a moment “I know.” She replied. “I’m just having a problem.”

“What is it?” Alexx asked now worried about Calleigh. She could normally handle her problems without them interfering in work.

Calleigh hesitated a minute, knowing that she could trust her friend, but not quite sure if she was ready to admit it out loud yet. “Well…” Calleigh started “I think that I’m…” her voice trailed off.

“You’re what?” Alexx asked encouraging Calleigh to continue.

“I’m falling in love with Eric.” She gasped barely above a whisper relieved to have finally said what had been on her mind for days.

Alexx could not suppress the laugh that escaped her lips. Calleigh was looking at her with an expression of bewilderment on her face which only made Alexx giggle.
“Honey, you’ve been in love with Eric for years.”

Calleigh’s emotions changed from confused to surprised and back to confused again. “What are you talking about?”

Alexx chuckled again and stared at Calleigh.

“I have not been in love with Eric for years!”

“I hate to break it to you babe, but you have. You’ve been in love with him since the moment you met him.”

Calleigh stopped and thought about this statement for a minute. Had she been in love with him all these years and never realized it? But how could she not have realized it? Calleigh liked to think that she was a sensible person and a sensible person would have most certainly realized that she had been in love with someone for years.

Alexx watched Callegih trying to sort through her thoughts with amusement and waited for Calleigh to speak again.

Having come to somewhat of a conclusion, Calleigh turned her gaze back to Alexx who was watching her with an amused look on her face. “I don’t think so Alexx.” She said her voice surprisingly calm for the amount of emotion running through her body.

Alexx sighed and prepared to convince Calleigh of what was and what had been for years. “Cal…” she started off, her voice steady with reasoning. “I have never seen you smile with anyone the way that you do with Eric, your whole face lights up the minute you see him, you laugh more with him over nothing than you do with the funniest thing anyone else says. And if that isn’t enough to convince you, you positively sparkle anytime you are near him!”

Calleigh was at a loss of words. Was everything Alexx just said true? Did she really sparkle in Eric’s company? Did her face really light up when she saw him? How did she smile at him? Oh god! Maybe I’ve been in love with him for years!

Alexx watched the realization cross Calleigh’s face and a smile spread across her own.

Calleigh looked at Alexx with a shocked expression. Now what am I going to do? What does this mean? Another thought crossed her mind, does Eric know? Does he feel the same way?” What if he doesn’t? Calleigh had only just realized how deep her feelings for Eric ran, and was surprised at how she didn’t think she could bear for Eric not to return her feelings. Shear panic spread through her body and she didn’t know how to stop it.

Alexx quickly saw Calleigh’s expression change to one of panic. “What’s the matter?” she asked grasping Calleigh’s arm lightly to steady her, she looked as if she were about to faint.

Calleigh looked into Alexx’s eyes, grateful for the hand she had placed on her arm. “What…” she stopped for a moment. “What if Eric doesn’t share any of my feelings?” she asked. Calleigh was normally never unsteady, but the thought of Eric not returning her feelings had unhinged her. As she was discovering a lot of things that involved Eric could.

Alexx smiled at Calleigh’s fear. “Hun, trust me you have nothing to worry about. If you thought you were bad you’re nothing compared to Eric.”

Calleigh looked at her confused, her head clouding again. Alexx only gave her a reassuring smile.

“Honey, that boy has been head over heels in love with you from day one! He already looks at you like there is no one else in the world. He gets the exact same goofy grin on his face when he looks at you as you do when you look at him. And truthfully he pretty much glows whenever he is in twenty feet of you!”

Calleigh couldn’t help her heart from swelling in her chest as Alexx talked about Eric. Oh what am I going to do about this? But she couldn’t help herself from asking “Really?” unsuccessful in hiding the pleasure in her voice.

Alexx only grinned “Really.” She answered. “And that’s only what you can see on the outside.”

Calleigh couldn’t stop the smile that spread across her face. She sighed, much calmer that when she had arrived. “Thanks.” She exclaimed in gratitude toward Alexx for helping to keep her grounded. Though she had now opened up a whole new set of questions to be delt with.

Alexx flashed Calleigh a smile and moved back to the other side of the table to begin working again. “You’re welcome baby.”

“I guess I should get up to firearms and process that bullet that killed our vic.”

“I’m here if you need me.” She said and studied Calleigh once more. She was defiantly steadier than when she had first arrived and seemed to be back to acting like herself.

Calleigh gave Alexx a smile as she studied her to make sure she was fine. “I know.” she said and smiled again before turning and walking out.

On her way back to firearms Calleigh considered how she was going to handle everything that she had just realized. She had a long road ahead of her.

A/N: please tell me what u think!!

Hey...brookeAp3 has been updating her story on fanfiction.net. If you're interested...which you are...have at it. Sharing is great...especially when it involves Eric and Calleigh. I have read the other chapters and I am hooked. i love her updates and I can't wait for more...hopefull you enjoy and hoping that the following link works. (If not go to fanfiction.net and search for Love's Long Journey...under the CSI: Miami category...and it should be there.

Love's Long Journey by brookeAp3

Enjoy and by the way, I love your story so please update soon...here or at FF.

Back