Leonie's fic in english

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by cinegirl, Jun 16, 2006.

1. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Hi guys! Well, I gave my best and will do for the rest of the translation of Leonie's FF she posted at the FanFictionNet in german.
    The Title is "Obviously" - and it's CaRWash-Stuff! :)

Here we start with the first part of chapter 1:

- R -

Perhaps it was this very short embracement - for just a second – after he came near being run over by this damned truck while working on a crime scene.
    Perhaps it was her relieved smile afterwards, or her huge, bright green eyes, which glowed at him in this particular kind. Or it was her glittering, long blonde hair, blowing in the wind such as in the shampoo advertising. Ryan just doesn’t know. He only knows that this moment had moved something inside him. Something…indescribable, weird, hot and crawly but anyway: terrific. It’s scaring him.
    Certainly he felt the same way some time ago. About more than three years ago he felt such intensive and it finished in a fiasco – a pure fiasco. He won’t have such an experience again. Never and at no time! That’s why he must not accept these feelings, has to eliminate them, because of his own private reasons.
    However – he knows, he fools himself with pursuing this way. You can’t forbid one’s feelings. They are simply present and you can’t actually avoid them. All you can do is trying to ignore and to forget them. And this is exactly what he has to do now.

Calleigh Dusquesne isn’t interested in him. Well, not in this special way he wants her to be.
    Sure, they’re good friends and from the first moment when he came to the CSI as a newbie they hit it off with each other. He had seen her once before when he visited one of her seminars she gave and he was pretty impressed by her, always. He liked her!
    But he liked her as a friend. Felt sympathy for her. Today it’s still the same but somehow different, though. He just can’t explain. She seems to be such a strong, self confident person, in everything she does. She is so… independent, does as she likes, takes over the reins. She is so different from most of the women he knows.

And since this moment he couldn’t get her out of his head! Damn it! It must not be.
    Why must this happen to him? Well, sure, it isn’t that strange to fell…uhm…to conceive affection for a fellow member – look at Natalia and Eric! Although it isn’t sure until now if they are together or not, so that doesn’t truly count.

Ryan is in cleavage with his feelings.
    The day where “it” happened he was sitting on his comfortable couch, alone, and watched TV. He stared at the screen under a spell but didn’t notice anything of the shown film. He carries on a war. A war of thoughts. On the one hand there was a big: NO. On the opposite there was: And anyway, WHY NOT?

“That will never work. I don’t have to hold out hope.”

“Why?”

“Because that would be strange“

”What exactly you find strange? “

”Well, somehow, because…just…just because it’s strange! “

“Yes, but why actually?“

“Well, because…just because!“

“Because“isn’t an answer! “

”That’s the way it is: strange. We are fellows!“

”So what ?“

”Well, these are weird circumstances“

”But why? It isn’t that extraordinary! Look at Natalia and Eric!”

“That’s something completely different!“

“Really?“

“Yes!“

“And what is different?“

“It is… just different.“

“I see…“

”She doesn’t want me in any case“

“How do you know?“

”It’s the way it is!“

”Is there any reason to suppose this?“

”Yes. No. Well, I just know.“

“Aha”

“Yes”

„But you’re both good friends.“

„Yes“

“There you are!“

“And that’s final!“

„Why?“

„I told you!“

„I don’t accept this answer.“

„Okay, forget it. It’s meaningless anyway.“

While discussing with himself, turning every possibility over in his mind, he always could get mad. The consequences never changed: it can’t work and he always feels worse! Shoot!
    If he only could avoid her, but this isn’t possible, for sure, because every day they are working together at a case.
    He fears she could figure out, what he feels or that she finally does it. That wouldn’t be well for him. He can’t tell why he fears the discovery, but at that moment he just doesn’t want her to know.

-C-

Perhaps she realized it when he began to stumble a bit during an interrogation as she entered the room and sat down besides him. Perhaps it was his awkward look as he fumbled nervously in his hair and mixed it up; or it happened while she was talking to Marc at the telephone , which whom she had a date that evening, and Ryan came in at the door, listening to the last words she spoke: “See you tonight, Marc, I’m looking forward to it!”.
    After this call Ryans’ mood suddenly changed into real bad one...
    Calleigh doesn’t know the exact time when she first assumed that Ryan could have...well, more than friendly feelings for her.
    Certainly she isn’t sure of this matter for 100%. She is only guessing, but time and again those moments return where she finds her assumptions verified. On other days, when she pays attention to it, nothing special happens and she simply forgets about it – until another moment attends. A moment where he looks at her with this special glance:
    A faint smile surrounding his lips, his wide, dark eyes focus her attentive – realizing and admiring every motion she makes. When he becomes aware that she returns his look he turns into a shy guy and looks confused aside, his hands.

Calleigh doesn’t know for sure if she should enjoy this feeling, apart from the question if she is right. On the one hand she really feels flattered; Ryan is a great and cute person, he is… somehow cuddly! Every time he looks at her with his sadly seeming – hush puppy! – eyes, she wants to lock him in her arms and hug him.
    His hair is as dark as his eyes. He has a small mouth which seems to carry a hidden smile all the time and a very beautiful nose. Well, perhaps it sounds crazy to entitle a nose beautiful, but she can’t think of another word for it.
    Altogether: Ryan is a very friendly person; from the beginning she liked him, even if she first didn’t acknowledge it to herself. It was because of Speeds’ death and Ryan was his successor. The first time was very hard: Speed and she were the best friends and than suddenly he was shot on duty.

(Will update as soon as possible!)

2. Dutchie

Dutchie Coroner

Nice tranlation Cinegirl nice story Leonie. But will you hurry up? I'm almost done :p

3. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Well, Dutchie, here's the next part - now nearly the half first chapter is done (I'm trying, but my english knowledge is very rusty ;) ):

- C -

Otherwise she and Ryan just were colleagues at the CSI. Okay, perhaps a bit more than colleagues – sometimes they flirt a little while being at work and them both don’t even realize it, not until they refocus on work again. At that point always an inner voice comes up in her mind and whispers: “What was THAT?”
    But that means nothing! Ryan is just a good friend, nothing more; and if - theoretically - tender feelings will grow… oh well! This won’t – can’t – happen! Because…because that will never do. He is so much younger than she; okay, perhaps that’s not the best argument because age doesn’t matter when you love – everybody tells you. But for her it’s something different; she also doesn’t know why but she just can’t imaging being together with Ryan. Hum, Ryan and Calleigh, Calleigh and Ryan. It sounds strange…
    She decides just to ignore it as good as she can. She will move on as before, working and talking to him normally and – yeah, even flirting with him again, if circumstances permit.
    It’ll be his funeral, not hers.
    Will it really?

”Would you please take this to Horatio?“

She handles him a sheet.

“What’s that?“

He takes the paper and reads through the text, than facing her again with that look of inquiry.

”Horatio is just working at the case with that missing woman and this is the analysis of the stuff we found on her desk.”

”Sure“ he answers with low voice and smiles at her.

“I would do it myself but I have to call Marc again because of tonight.”

She doesn’t know why she said it. Why she said it this way. Perhaps she wanted to test him, but after speaking out this little sentence she realized that it was completely wrong.
    Nevertheless Ryan just smiles a little confused, winkles irritated, stares at his hands in which he still holds the analysis-paper and looks back into Calleigh’s eyes.
    “See you.” Than he leaves.
    Is she wrong or did he really seem to be somewhat sad? She feels lousy. Why the hell did she tell him this? Does she want to hurt Ryan? Man, her guilty conscience makes her hate herself.

- R –

Every time faint hopes rise up, forbidden hope, but he can’t help. They just appear, sneaking in his mind and leaving not until all hopes are shattered; as it is now.

“I would do it myself but I have to call Marc again because of tonight.”

Marc. Because of tonight.
    Damn it!
    He could kick against the frame he’s just passing. He could knock over the garbage can. He could jostle everybody who walks past him without regret.
    Always these stupid, hidden inklings just in front of him! That’s what gets on his nerves but he can’t avoid them. They hurt and they are making him furious. When will this stop? Soon, hopefully. He’s becoming an emotional wrack.
    Later that day, while driving home after work, his mood ran a deficit. He turns on the radio:

Obviously

She’s out of my league

I’m wasting my time

Coz she’ll never get mine and I know

I never will be good enough for her

It couldn’t fit more perfect. He drives along the Miami Streets which are fully lighted at night, nearly a spectacle. Normally he loves watching this scenario, after an exhausting case the lights used to calm him down. But not tonight. He just wants to get home and fall asleep.
    Well, if he could manage to sleep: probably he will lie awake and think about the situation. Shoot!
    Now he gets to the calmer district of Miami where the nature dominates. He drives through the darkness, only the headlamps of his car show him the way of the street. The shadows of the trees and some small houses seem to fly past him.
    About 15 minutes later he lies awake in his bed and can’t fall asleep.

-C-

It was a nice date. Marc acted like a real gentleman, made her compliments, held the door open and drove her home. He was cute and also charming but that certain je ne sais quoi was missing. Something like that prickle when he took her hands or that beating of her heart when he just touched her – she didn’t feel it. Nevertheless it was a beautiful evening – finally Marc is nice and modest and he knows how to treat a lady – perhaps it will lead to more, despite the missing “spice”: he looks well although his middle parting is a bit outdated but nothing can be perfect. And in the case that she won’t be able to convince him of a more modern hairstyle he still counts with his good character and his baby-blue eyes.
    While lying alone in her warm and snugly bed at home she thinks of Ryan for short time: what he might do at that moment? Probably he’s sleeping…
    As soon as she starts thinking of him her bad conscience nibbles at her. Why did she say all that stuff? All she can do for now is hoping. Hoping that she is wrong in all of her presumptions or hoping that she didn’t drive a wedge between them both. She doesn’t want to lose Ryan.
    Not to lose him. How that sounds. It sounds like…relationship. But there is nothing! Nothing more than friendship; at least for her part.
    Ryan is angry. She feels it. He tries to avoid her, what is really difficult while working on a case together. But sometimes he asks Eric to handle out Calleigh his results. Eric doesn’t understand his strange behaviour and wants to know what’s going on.

”Do you both have struggle?” he asks Calleigh after Ryan sends him to her one more time, telling him he has do get s.th. important to done.
    A deep sigh is the only answer he gets from her.
    ”Aha“ Eric replies and walks on. Probably he just almost knows what’s going on. It isn’t that hard to focus it out.
    But for now there are more important things to do so Calleigh gets back to work.

4. Leonie

Leonie Witness

Cinegirl, You are such a good translator! :) My fic sounds better in English I think *lol*

5. IlovemySNICKERS

IlovemySNICKERS CSI Level One

The story is really good so far!!! I can't wait until the next update!!! :)
    Keep up the great work!!

6. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Thank you Leonie and IlovemySNICKERS , and @Leonie: without a great story no good translation ;) [by the way thank you again :)]
    Will continue translating tomorrow and hope, I can finish the 1st chapter so Dutchie can directly post the 2nd one!

7. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Hm, missed the "Edit"-Time... anyway, some more from Leonies' fic in english, more to follow (ah, it never ends - 5 more pages in word! ;) )

-R-

He isn’t cross with Calleigh, or even in rage. If at all he is somewhat hurt, but that’s not her fault because she doesn’t know anything at least – as far as he knows.
    It would be disastrous if she would know! Definitively it would be too strange for her and she might end up their friendship.
    Well, probably she wouldn’t do that, but Ryan can’t stop thinking about it and that this could happen. These thoughts seem to jump in his mind and to fix themselves – only can be blown away with a huge portion of optimism and self-confidence. And that’s exactly what he lacks.
    But just in this case, at work he isn’t that shy and undecided, no, at work he feels strong and self-assured. Concerning relationships it is the other way round: than he is a confirmed pessimist who tends to sink in self-pity. That’s what he hates himself for: why isn’t he able to check himself and to tell Calleigh, what her little sentence caused in him.
    Why he can’t simply invite her for a drink?

Before IT happened, he would have done it easily - what of it?
    But IT happened anyway and now he can’t do it anymore. So stupid! It would be more logical and useful if it goes the other way round (again).
    Ryan knows how foolish he seems when he always sends Eric to Calleigh, just to avoid her.
    Sooner or later she wants to know what’s going on with him – and then?
    What should he tell her? He even doesn’t know what to tell Eric, so how could he explain it to her?
    He decides to check himself. Somehow everything will work – it HAS to work. If not, well, then…then he has to leave. But it must not going this far and it will not!

-C-

Perhaps she was wrong and Ryan wasn’t angry; or he hides it very good. Perhaps he just needed one day to get over with it…
    In any case: now he is his old self again. No Eric to bring her Ryan’s results, no, Ryan is doing it personally. In some way he seems to be stressed as if he was forced to do it, but anyway: he was doing it!
    You can read Ryan’s eyes like a book: just a short look and you know immediately how he feels. Why it is this way Calleigh doesn’t exactly know – perhaps it because of this sparkling in his eyes: sometimes it seems sad, sometimes enraged, sometimes disappointed, and even horrified, to name but a few - you might find thousands additional feelings there.
    In the following days this little unnatural expression on his face disappears – slowly but at least it is gone, and Ryan gets back on talking normally to her again. No more of nervous fluttering and convulsive grin. He seems to have forgotten it after all and she is very relieved - so relieved that she can actually laugh with Ryan again.

„There’s something wrong with the weather.“ Ryan suddenly says. He is standing next to Calleigh and watching her analyzing the victims’ clothes.
    „What?“ Calleigh straightens herself and looks at him. His view rests on the jacket she is holding in her hands and it seems as if he would dream, as if he’s wool-gathering.
    „The beautiful weather doesn’t fit to the death.“
    She fixes him with her eyes, seems trying to awake him.
    He closes his eyes for a second and then looks directly into her face after opening them again.
    Calleigh realizes that in this special light his eyes seem to be green, not dark brown as usual. She never saw it before, but decides to pay attention on it.
    „So many murders happen here, every day, but the sun keeps on shining the hole day, not one single cloud to see – that doesn’t fit.“
    She says nothing, just looks at him a little confused.
    He stares at his hands, embarrassed: „That was just a small philosophical throw-in.”

:) :) :)
    EDIT: okay, now only 3 pages are missing, here's the rest for today:

She shakes her head with laughter: „Oh Ryan. You’re somehow…”
    As he lifts his head and looks directly in her eyes she shortly stops in her sentence. She seems to have a little dropout, as if she had lost the thread. His eyes are flashing a bit to…she can’t find the proper word for it. A cold shiver runs over her back. But just for a second.

“…sweet.”

There it was, the ending of her sentence. Did she really want it to end this way or did she want to say something different before?
    She doesn’t know anymore.

-R-

Sweet? Did she really say this or did he just understand what he wanted to?
    After she finished her batch this way the room turns quiet for a while. He didn’t know what to say, his face got hot and Calleigh concentrates back on the jacket again she needs to analyze, a smile on her face.
    How does she always achieve to confuse him this hard? At one time she talks of dating this guy Marc and another time she tells him that she finds him sweet – or that he IS sweet. Well, that’s pretty much the same, isn’t it? Yes, it is.
    Perhaps it doesn’t mean anything. Well, definitively it doesn’t do. She only told him to brighten up his mood. Why, the hell, did he start talking about the weather? Now, after all, it sounds completely stupid.
    He only wanted to say something, some spirited words…spirited, haha, he finally made a fool of himself!

-C-

Sweet? Why did she say it? Okay, she could have just THINK it, but not telling him straight!
    She finds Ryan – as she already implied – cuddly, for real. Like a teddy bear. But did she have to tell him? No, not really.
    The word just slipped out, she couldn’t do anything to avoid it.
    Afterwards she is annoyed for what happened. What if Ryan raises hopes just because of her?
    Well, if it’s true at all. There’s still a very slight possibility that it’s not and than it doesn’t matter anyway.

Now it’s end of the work day. There she stands, watching how Ben Madigan, the murderer of Sarah Znoyd, is lead away in handcuffs. He shortly shows Calleigh a hostile view, then he is pushed in the police car.
    She feels a faint air draft behind her and knows without turning around who it is.
    “I’m glad it was him and not the mother.”, she hears Ryans’ harsh voice from behind.
    She has to smile, but still doesn’t turn around to him.
    “Perhaps it sounds strange, but so am I.”
    Together they watch the policemen entering the car, too, and driving away. As the car is nothing more than a small point in the distance she finally turns towards Ryan.
    „Still clear weather, isn’t it?“

Ryan looks at Calleigh as if he doesn’t know what to say now. His small mouth wears this faint hidden smile again, his eyes – now dark again – are alertly focused on her. He seems to be touched a bit embarrassing.

Calleigh has to smile again. She takes a look at the fields which extended behind the Miami Dade Headquarters and are spotlighted by the rays of the sun.
    “Are you disposed for a little walk?”

There it was again! Suddenly she had said it, just because. Again it just slipped out. It seems as if she has lost control of the things she wants to say, as if her mouth wants to do what he wants. Let there be no more of this. In the end she might say something more, she doesn’t want to think about it – all the others could regard her as a kook!
    But now it is spoken it out, there’s no return.
    No return: that sounds so… negative. Anyhow the weather is actually clear, sunset, and she really feels the wish to rank the fields – but not on her own.
    Ryan’s gaze doesn’t change, he only bows his head.
    “Okay.”
    Side by side they’re walking, slow, strolling. Their hands are dangling nearby, just a few centimetres off.
    :eek: :eek:

8. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

How could you, to leave us hanging like that. Thanks for translating the fic cinegirl...Leonie your a awesome writer

9. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Well, don't be sad Raven04, now you can move on with reading THE REST OF CHAPTER ONE!!! Yes, I finally made it :)
    After this it's Dutchie's turn!

So, on with the show:

They just walk along the track in silence, towards the sunset. The heaven seems to glow and dives the grain fields which are gentle soughing from the mild wind into bronze light. It smells of nature, of fresh grass and earth. Some birds are still chirping and the crickets are chirring.
    „Romantic“ presses in Calleighs’ mind without wanting it. Perhaps it would be better to be here with Marc and not with Ryan? To go for this walk together, she means. Would it? But why she minds, it doesn’t have to mean a thing, she just goes for a walk with a good friend and – okay – there is a little bit of romantic atmosphere. Not to mention that she isn’t really fond of such sob-stuff.

“What kind of music you like the most?”, she interrupts the silence, probably to stop her thoughts. And it’s a good question because she truly wonders before but always forgot to ask him. But luckily she remembers now!

He looks at her, smiles and she smiles back. In this mild light his lovely eyes are shining yellowish; and green and brown…

“Mainly I prefer rock-music; various types of it. But just NO Hip-Hop! I’m getting earaches from this kind of “music”.”

She has to laugh.

“What types of rock-music exactly?”

Again he bows his head aside and raises his eyebrow, as if he is asking himself why she want to know all of this.

„Okay.“ He takes a deep breath and stuffs his hands into his trouser pockets – nearly touching her hand while doing this, but only nearly…

“Indie, Rock’n’roll, Alternative, some Punk and Pop-Rock… I also like Emo. I enjoy listening to bands like “Taking Back Sunday”, “Mando Diao”, “The Strokes” and some more. Well, I prefer not so public bands.”

„Wow.“ Calleigh puffs away a hank from her face which was blown there by the wind.
    “You really know the scene, I, personally, never heard one of these band-names yet.”

“If you want I will bring you along a CD, they are actually amazing.”

“Okay”. She gives him a smile.

“And what’s about you?”
    His eyes examine her full of expectation. Right in this moment he looks like a little child. She has to grin.

“Well, I like Rock’n’Roll, too, in addition I listen to a lot of “Queen” and “The Beatles”. I just like Oldies.”

“That’s good: no Hip-Hop, that’s the best!”

They are both laughing. Slowly he removes his hands of his trouser pockets and for only a second he touches her hand. Indeed it’s short but they both twitch back as if they have been stung by a wasp.
    A funny feeling expatiates in Calleigh’s body, a strange feeling, much too extraordinary to describe it just with these words – it’s somehow sensational, hot, scaring, a bit awkward but… indescribable.
    They both stopped walking and now are looking at each other, silently. You can only hear the chirring of the crickets and the singing of the birds.
    Calleigh hears her heart beating fast, she feels burning hot.

What did this short contact moves inside her? Why does she suddenly feel uncomfortable when he touches her? Right before this happened she felt great, comfortable, while walking along the fields side by side next to him, talking about music.
    Music…it’s a very good subject to break this weird silence.
    As she starts talking again her voice sounds hoarsely. It seems as if that voice wouldn’t belong to her anymore.

“Do you play any musical instrument?”

Ryan’s eyes fixating hers again. She can’t stand his glaze, has to avert her eyes and stare at her hands. But she still feels his view.

“Yeah.”, she hears his voice. He sounds as if he would be in trance. “I play drums and e-guitar, acoustics, too.”

She forces herself to face him again, directly in his eyes. She makes it.

“Two instruments? Wow!”

The sparkle of his eyes returned. But now she can’t match it correctly.

“And you?”, he asks with breathy voice.

She slowly wags her head; her view is tacked on his eyes to find the underlying cause of his thoughts. It doesn’t work, for any reason she just can’t concentrate on it.

“Nothing.”, she answered.

Another five seconds they face each other, muted, just a half meter apart. Ryan seems to pattern everything of her: her hair, her shoulders, her nose, her mouth, her legs, her feet…

She for her part looks at his arms and hands, hanging beside his strong body; they are normal hands, pretty ones, by the way. Rather a little small for a man, looking soft and tenderly. Not the way she knows from other men she met, Marc included. His hands are massive, nearly as the paw of a bear. They are raw and dry, his fingers have a yellow gleam - he is a smoker.

“Shall we return?”, Calleigh asks, even if she knows that she disturbs a magic moment. Well, she doesn’t really know what’s magical about to stare at each other without saying a word, but the feeling was there.
    Ryan looks in her eyes again, breathes, coughs slightly and smirks.

Kurz bevor sie in ihren Wagen steigt, wirft sie ihm noch ein knappes „Tschüss, bis Morgen!“ zu, dann fährt sie. Im Rückspiegel sieht sie ihn noch da stehen, vor seinem Auto, wie er ihr nachsieht. Schließlich fährt sie um die Kurve und weg ist er. Aber dieses unbeschreibliche Gefühl lässt sie nicht zurück. Es bleibt.

„As you wish.“

Does she want to?

Yes.

No.

No idea, but somehow she wants to.

They turn round and walk back to their cars – even if it wasn’t a long promenade.

Just before she gets in her car she calls a short “Bye! ‘Till tomorrow!” to him, then she leaves.
    A look in her rear-view mirror shows her that Ryan was still standing besides his car, watching her drive off. Finally she drives a curve and he was out of her sight. But this indescribable feeling still lasts.

-R-

Ryan counts the second on his digital buzzer. He lies on his bed, meanwhile it’s 11.56 pm and he just can’t fall asleep. But this time it’s different: this time his heart throb doesn’t drops back to rage, disappointment or sorrow but to happiness. Even just thinking of the soft contact of their hands a pleasant shiver runs down his back. And that feels good, very good; although it doesn’t mean something – or does it? Somehow she gave the impression as if she would…

Never!

Or…?

No!

Perhaps, you know….

The war of thoughts again. But slowly the Yes-side seems to gain the mastery.

-C-

Something is different. Something has changed between them – and nothing negative.

Perhaps it starts with the daily welcome every morning already. Before, it was just a short “Hi Ryan!”, now at first there is a smile, perhaps a short, shy look, then a “Good morning, how are you?”.

It’s funny what a moment – no matter how short it has been – can effect. It can change someone’s whole life; well, in this case it’s not a life, but…hm, what can it be? You might say that they get closer, closer than before. Just because of this one short magic moment. Not absolutely close but… close – and she loves it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

aaah, Leonie, your fic is so beautifully written. Cinegirl, thanks again with the translation

11. Dutchie

Dutchie Coroner

Okay, then I guess it's my turn now, not? And since I was faster, I've got the whole chapter two for ya. (and I'm already halfway up chapter four so Vera, you better hurry up with chapter three! :p) Chapter two:

But now it didn’t meant something real with Ryan, she saw Marc again. Almost every other day he took her for dinner in a chic restaurant, apparently he had the money. Calleigh somewhere admired him. He was so mature and elegant. Which didn’t mean that Ryan wasn’t mature. Just in some situations he looked like a kid. Then he acted so…fragile and unsure.

But Marc wasn’t like that. He always kept his proud attitude, his straight way. Calleigh could imagine him the drive of a Rolls Royce. He had class. He talks like a butler, when he asks her if she wants some more champagne, or a glass of wine.

Last night, he’d told her that she should meet his kids someday. He had been married for four times, and from every marriage he had a child.

“I’m sure you’ll like them, my four daughters.” He’d said and smiled at her, showing his lightening-white teeth.

She had returned his smile and quickly taken a sip from her wineglass. To be honest, she didn’t really look forward to meeting his kids. She liked it, if it could continue like this. Every other day he picked her up at her place, drove her to some place and they talked. But Marc apparently wanted more. Include her in his family. It makes her feel uncomfortable, thinking about it.

He had tried to kiss her on the lips, when they said goodbye, but so far, she’d always turned her head to the side, so that he only kissed her cheek. After a: ‘See you later.’ she went into her house as fast as she could, looking at him shortly, before closing the door.

Ryan had actually thought of the CD, or of the CDs. He had brought her four and grinned so cute, that she would love to kiss him on his cheek. Which she, of course, didn’t do, but the thought had been there.

He’d become happier. Since the walk, she saw more often how he looked at her, again with his special look. As soon as he discovered that she saw his look, he lowered his head and looked at his hands.

She doesn’t tell him, that she’s meeting Marc again. Well, why would she anyway? She didn’t know how he would react. If she was right, his good mood would disappear immediately. And she didn’t want that. It was much nicer working with a happy Ryan than with a not so happy one.

This time he picked her up at the lab. Suddenly he is there, standing in front of her, in the hallway, and smiles at her. She comes straight out the DNA lab, and is planning on going to Ryan to tell him what she’d discovered. They are working together on a difficult case, but now Marc is there.

“Hey Calleigh. Aren’t you glad to see me?“

No, she isn’t. Honestly it was more making her nervous. Why did he have to come here, they didn’t have plans anyway. Well, at most that she’d call him tonight. Last night she had promised to call him, and intended to do it tonight. But now he’s here.

She doesn’t answer his question, just looks at him coolly. “What are you doing here?” Marc does a step towards her and laughs. “I just want to see you.”

Calleigh gets warm. But not from happiness, but from anger. When then Ryan also walks around the corner and walks towards them, it seems to be perfect. Attention Irony.

“Hey Cal!” He greets her out of breath. He must’ve ran before. “I was looking for you, I have to show you something, Alexx found something in the victim’s body, it looks funny and…” He stops talking. He seemed to have noticed Marc, who is friendly extending his hand.

“Hi, I’m Marc. Calleigh’s boyfriend, in case you didn’t know that yet.”

Shit, Calleigh thinks. What is he saying? She feels her face getting got. She looks at the floor, biting her lips. Look everywhere, just not in Ryan’s hurt face.

“Hi.” She hears Ryan say next to her. His voice sounds weak and from the corner of her eyes she sees how his hand hesitatingly grabs Marc’s. “Ryan. Uh…Ryan Wolfe.” “Nice to meet you. Calleigh has told me a lot about you.” Marc squeaks, so she wanted to slap him. He was acting like they were married!

She looks him in the face, not trying to hide her anger. But doesn’t seem to notice it at all, he just smiles at her and says: It looks like you’re already busy.” “Yes.” She answers coolly, not returning his smile. She sees from the corner of her eye, how Ryan is standing next to her. Again their hands are just a few inches apart.

“Well then…” Marc runs a hand through his hair and grins shyly. “Would it be okay, if I pick you up later? Then I’ll take you to dinner.” “Okay.” Calleigh says, a bit colder then she wanted to. She just wants him to leave.

“Great.” Marc glows, takes another step towards her and kisses her on her cheek. The pricks of his three-days beard sting her. On top of that, he stinks like smoke.

Then he finally leaves and Ryan and her stand there alone, not saying anything. But this time it’s another silence. Calleigh knows with every word she would say about this, it wouldn’t make anything better. No, probably even worse. That’s why she doesn’t say anything about it, and just says: “I’ll go to Alexx then.”

She does, and leaves Ryan behind her. She doesn’t have to turn around to know which feeling reflects in his eyes right now.

-R-

Shit. That’s the best way to describe what he is feeling right now.

-C-

Ryan doesn’t look at her the days after that. Only answers, if he really has to and they are very short. She is sorry. She feels terrible, but what should she do? Talk?

But how? And this is definitely wrong place for that.
    Wait and see then, how it would develop itself. Maybe it would calm down. But maybe it wouldn’t, a voice in her head whispers. She doesn’t wanna lose Ryan. Not now. Never. She were closer now then ever, and she had felt really good and Ryan too, and then this little visit from Marc and this little lie would destroy that all?

With the next opportunity, she decides to talk to him. Alone.

Marc comes in, reaches out and pulls her against him. He doesn’t smell like smoke anymore, but to Hugo Boss perfume. His beard is still there, but this time it doesn’t look so unattended as earlier. This time he seems to belong. Though his stupid haircut is still there. He himself probably thinks he’s irresistible. Or he thinks that she finds him irresistible. Like always. Fact is, that she’s hates him. And the stupid haircut.

“Hello my cottontail.”

Cottontail, how childish! She raises and eyebrow as he takes her hand, brings it to his mouth and kisses it.

“Are we going, milady?”

As answer, she just nods quickly. She doesn’t feel good. He had something planned. But what?

They leave the building, stand directly in front of it. It dawns already, but this time there is no sunset. No chirping crickets and no rushing wind.

Marc was holding her arm, to keep her up. He looked deep into her eyes and takes her hand in his. Next to him she looked tiny and delicate, like an elf being compared to a bear.

“I love you.” He said, without warning. She is frozen, feels how she cramps, when he pulls her towards him. She tries to break out of his grip, hit him, but his grip is too strong. She doesn’t succeed.

A second later he presses his lips against hers. His beard stings her, his breath smells like an astray. Her heart beats in her throat, the blood rushes in her ears and she can only think one thing: GO!

At this moment she can’t remember when the last time was she felt so much fear. She was really scared. Marc shouldn’t touch her. It is only horrible and she can’t cry, since he has his wet, slippery tongue down her throat. Tongue. The only possibility, to escape him, is this.

Marc probably never felt this pain. How could he, when you grow up wealthy every day, never in contact with danger and adventure?

Loud and painfully he screams, after Calleigh almost bit his tongue off. But now she’s free. She stands for that in pain curving man, coughing and trying to calm down again. Her legs are unable to move from their place, while he knees tremble.

Marc doesn’t speak, looks at her hatefully. “Are you crazy?” He suddenly yells, walks towards her quickly. “Come on, you want it too!”

He takes her arm, pulls her against him. She screams. “Let me go!”

“I can see it in your eyes.”

Nothing is left anymore. Nothing, from the old, charming Marc. Nothing from his elegance, his pride. It’s scary. And suddenly he is there. She sees him as a dark shadow first, who jumps on Marc, so that he has to let Calleigh go, to defend himself against his attacker.

“Let here go, you bastard!”

Ryan.

She closes her eyes for easement, just for a moment. Her heart makes a jump from relieve, she can feel how the fear slowly falls off her shoulders and she doesn’t care where Ryan came from, how he popped up from nothing. The main thing was, that he is here. Marc is irritated for a moment, because he hadn’t counted on Ryan, now he was almost a head bigger than him and thinking. Marc’s fist hit Ryan hard, in the middle of his face. Stumbling Ryan falls down, hands in front of his face, coughing from pain.

“Ryan!” Calleigh suddenly snaps out of her trance, hurries to the on the ground sitting Ryan. “Ryan, stand up!” But he just groans, doesn’t want to take the hands off his face, also when she asks him to. She lifts her head. Marc stands there, looks speechless to his hand, like he couldn’t believe when he just did. “What have I done?” She hears him mumble.

“Just disappear.” She says. More hate a person can’t get in his voice. She trembles from anger and excitation. “And don’t you dare ever coming anywhere close to me.”

For a moment she thinks that he wouldn’t go, because he just looks at her, like in trance, still both hands in front of his face. But then he runs away. She watches, how gets into a car and drives of with squeaking tires shortly after.
    “Ryan!” She kneels next to him, places both hands on his shoulders and softly shakes him. “Ryan, stand up.” He takes his hands from his face, his mouth opened. For pain, she can see that in his eyes. His chest goes up and down, like he couldn’t breathe too well. Probably the shock. His nose was strongly breathing. Nevertheless he does what she says and stands up.

“Are you alright?” Calleigh asks, taking his by blood red made hand, to help him onto his feet, supports him and at the same time searches in her pocket for a handkerchief, but doesn’t find one. Ryan nods, holds his head as if he had a headache and groans, so that it really makes Calleigh have empathy with him.

“I’m so sorry.”

Actually she wanted to tell him so much more at that moment, but he wouldn’t hear her anyway. He bows forward, holds with one hand still his bleeding nose, breathing heavily. She noticed that he is still holding her hand with his free one, like he was holding it for support, not to fall over. And she let him. She doesn’t care that his hand is bloody. She is so sorry for him. Only because of her. Only because she had to go with Marc. He had been a complete disaster.

“I can’t let you drive home like this.” Her mouth talks on it’s own. Her lips speak faster then she can think. But at this moment she decides not to fight it. She lets herself talk. “You are riding home with me.”

Ryan looks up, his hand still covering his nose, like he couldn’t believe what he’d just heard. Then he gets up and groans. “It hurt so damn bad.”

How he’s standing there, his nose upwards, so it would bleed too bad, his hand underneath it like a bowl, to protect his shirt and dark grey blazer from red spots, almost makes her laugh again. It’s not an angry laugh, she doesn’t make fun of him. It was just a laugh of sympathy. Tough to define, but somewhere he looked so…sweet again.

“That is not funny! I save you from this monster and for thanks you laugh at me.” He said angry. She hears the played anger in his voice. He seemed to have found his humor again. She in his place would probably be very sourly. When he would be seeing someone else, without telling her any…Wait a minute! She doesn’t want anything from him. Actually.

At this moment, she noticed, that their hands were still holding. He notices it too and pulls his hand from hers.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He murmurs a bit. “Doesn’t matter.” She smiles at him, look at her hand shortly, which is very red. But she really doesn’t care. She can still feel his in it. “Do you have a handkerchief, or…?” The light hope in Ryan’s voice wakes her from her thoughts. He is still standing there like that, trying to catch the blood. It reminds her that Ryan can be neurotic in some things. This is definitely his favorite shirt and he just can’t stand not seeing it clean.

“No.” she shakes her head. “Come on.” She turns around, walks in the direction of her car. She hears from the footsteps that he is following her. And then they’re both in Calleigh’s car, she at the wheel, he next to her on the passenger’s side. Again not speaking, while outside the darkness wraps the landscape in the shadows. While black trees fly by. Now and then another car passes them with bright headlights. He is still sitting there, as he stood before. Not removing his hand from his face.

They are on their way to Calleigh’s house. Not knowing, how it would continue…But, of course she had only taken him because he couldn’t drive himself in this condition. At her place, he could simply fresh himself up and then she’d drive him back to where his car stood. Nothing more. Of course not!

They arrived. Ryan gets out the car. It’s not easy, fastening off and opening the door with one hand, and then also getting out. She also gets out, definitely easier than him, but obviously she hadn’t been hit in her face by Marc’s fist.

They walk to her house next to each other, which lies threateningly and big in the shadows. When she sets the first steps, the light above the door goes on. When she reaches the top, she takes her key out of her pocket, sticks it in the lock and turns it. It clicks and the door opens. She turns around. Ryan looks at her. Hopeful, but something else too. She spots a bit of fear in his eyes. Like he didn’t know what would happen to him. He had removed his hand, his nose wasn’t bleeding that much, just a bit.

She smiles at him encouraging, takes his arm and pulls him slowly and gently into the dark house with her.

That was chapter two. Any mistakes in the translation, please PM me. I'm not german and not English either so...mistakes can happen. :D

12. Leonie

Leonie Witness

very good Dutchie :D

mmh, I've got a question....could I post my story in Englisch at Fanfiction.net?
    I want to ask before I do this :p

13. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Hi Leonie! Well, I don't mind if you want to post it in english - hey, it's your story! ;) ( Okay, I only can speak for myself, but I doubt that Dutchie would hunt you :D )

14. Leonie

Leonie Witness

haha, okay, thank you :lol:
    but not today...because I'm tired and I think I'll go to bed now.... ^_^

(I hope, Dutchie won't hunt me :eek: )

15. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

ooh, more, more. I want to know what happens at Calleigh's house.