Is there much continuity in this series?

Mike721

Civilian
I've never seen an episode before and I've heard great things, so I want to start watching. I know A&E shows frequent reruns, but would I need to watch from the beginning to completely understand everything? Or are the episodes stand-alone and I could just play any random one? Thanks.

Like yourself I jumped into the show watching on A&E. The majority of the eps are stand alone cases and even those that are part of a story arc are written as standalones so you won't have too much trouble following them

Each season usually has it's own little story arc, but like CSI-AJ said, most of the episodes are stand alones and aren't hard to follow. Besides, if you do happen to see an episode with a cliffhanger ending, with A&E you won't have trouble catching up on it. :) I think you should definitely start watching, or at least see if you like it! You could start anywhere.

I've never seen an episode before and I've heard great things, so I want to start watching. I know A&E shows frequent reruns, but would I need to watch from the beginning to completely understand everything? Or are the episodes stand-alone and I could just play any random one? Thanks.

The show starts to have more season-long arcs around season 4. If I was going to recommend a place to start, I'd go with season 2 (which, in my opinion had the best storylines and team interaction) but you don't necessarily have to start at the beginning to understand what's going on and what the characters are about. There are plenty stand-alone episodes with great stories. :)

In my opinion you should start from season 1 because it's interesting to see how the relationships of the team are going to be evolved during the series.Season 1 is a great season storywise too.

I have a confession! I never started watching until mid-season 3! I haven't ever seen any of season 1 or season 2 other than an episode here and there. I have all seasons on DVD, except for those 2, simply just because I started with buying 3 and never went back. I try to catch them on A&E, but yeah, to answer your question... even with the story arc's you can still very much follow stand along cases. And it wouldn't take long to get a feel who everyone was, and what they were up to!

Let us know what you think! ;)

I started watching after seeing an episode from season 5 I think... I have actually never seen seasons 1 or 2 :eek: (just a few episodes), so I don't think you'll have much trouble following along with the show if you just start watching at any season. I know I didn't! But if you want to see how characters and relationships evolved (like Grissom rules said) I agree that you should start at season 1 (even if I haven't seen that season, it just makes most sense. :p)

I find it interesting how quite a few people haven't seen the first two seasons (at TalkCSI and around the 'net). :lol: They're really quite worth it if y'all get the chance to see them. :D

I didn't start watching religiously until season 3, but it's always neat to go back and see how everything formed -- like was said above.

It's nice to know that there are still people out there getting into the show and becoming fans. :)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I picked up season 1 last night and watched a couple episodes, and now I'm hooked!

Though everyone's tastes are different, I personally think the first three seasons are the best.

For the longest time I was soured on TV, but when the CSI shows came on, I too was hooked. It was refreshing to see intelligent TV. After we'd seen all the Vegas episodes to date, we started watching Miami.

Welcome to the club! Enjoy!

I kind of envy you, having the whole series in front of you to watch. You are in for quite a ride and recommend starting from the beginning. You will get hooked immediately! The series has the rare ability to be watchable over and over without getting tired of it. Nice way to spend the summer hiatus.

Back