Interview: Dustin Lee Abraham

CSI Files

Captain
Next to showrunner and executive-producer Carol Mendelsohn, Dustin Lee Abraham is one of the few writers left on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation who have several seasons of work under their belt. The upcoming twelfth season, premiering September 21st, marks Abraham’s eighth season working for the show, that dates all the way back to season four’s [...]

More...

And another one - thanks, Shane! :D

I'm glad they're still bringing Elisabeth in - I have a bit of a girlcrush on her. :adore:

I'm a bit hesitant about the decision to bring in someone to replace Fishburne, but at least they're planning to create a character who is a leader from the beginning.

Last edited:
Cue people getting pissed that they're bringing in a new character as the leader in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . ;) :shifty:

Cue people getting pissed that they're bringing in a new character as the leader in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . ;) :shifty:
:guffaw:
I'm not overly exited about a new leader, but as long as the writers don't overdo it, and make him a superhero like Ray, I'm OK with it. :)

Count me as pissed. :D

That's ridiculous. Well, either this means what I have already been thinking and George isn't rnewing or this person will be the supervisor after Catherine leaves and that is BS. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the interview, Shane. Could have asked him why they have no faith in the characters, who have been there since the beginning, to carry the show. ;)

Didja tell him we don't want another big name person? :D

Thanks for the interview!

I can't say I'm too happy at the prospect of bringing on a new leader but I'm hardly surprised that TPTB have chosen to do so, at least I have the first half of the season to look forward to. (Assuming the new guy/girl arrives half way through the season.)

I am really happy that there won't be a Season long story-arc. Season 11 would have been pretty decent were it not for the Haskell arc and I hope it begins to go back to the ways of Seasons 1-5 which brought the viewers in in the first place. :)

I'm also happy to see Elisabeth is still joining the cast, even though we didn't see a lot of her in Cello and Goodbye, I think she'll make a good addition and I certainly didn't dislike her.

Thanks Shane. :)

Beyond getting away from the 'season long arc' not very encouraging. :(

I'm a little surprised that there are still no names on who they're even talking to but, quite honestly, I think it's mostly due to lack of interest by both the fans and the media on who this replacement is going to be. Personally I couldn't care less who this 'big name' is. I hit mute every time Ray Langston came on screen and I'll probably continue doing it for whoever his replacement is.

They may also be setting their sights a little too high. When WP left they had a much better chance of getting a big name than they do now with LF leaving. Lets face it, who wouldn't question CSI's existance after this season with the ratings drop in the second half of last season and CBS's moving CSI to Wednesday (used to be that alone was death to a tv show).

I'm not against bringing in new characters. The longevity of the show demands that new characters are brought in. What I'm against is that TPTB want to bring them in at the top expecting us (the fans) to instantly like/love them. That's not going to work when it's at the expense of the characters we've watched for the last 11 years! :(

Susan

Thanks Shane. :)

Beyond getting away from the 'season long arc' not very encouraging. :(

I'm a little surprised that there are still no names on who they're even talking to but, quite honestly, I think it's mostly due to lack of interest by both the fans and the media on who this replacement is going to be. Personally I couldn't care less who this 'big name' is. I hit mute every time Ray Langston came on screen and I'll probably continue doing it for whoever his replacement is.

They may also be setting their sights a little too high. When WP left they had a much better chance of getting a big name than they do now with LF leaving. Lets face it, who wouldn't question CSI's existance after this season with the ratings drop in the second half of last season and CBS's moving CSI to Wednesday (used to be that alone was death to a tv show).

I'm not against bringing in new characters. The longevity of the show demands that new characters are brought in. What I'm against is that TPTB want to bring them in at the top expecting us (the fans) to instantly like/love them. That's not going to work when it's at the expense of the characters we've watched for the last 11 years! :(

Susan

I couldn't agree with you more! You said exactly what I was thinking about bringing a new leadder in.

That was the last thing we needed... a new leader who takes over the show and makes that all the characters we love get shoved into the backround :(

I'm all for new characters, especially after Cath leaves but does it have to be a leader? This really sucks :(

But thanks, Shane. Bad news are better than no news :)

blackflag said:
Personally I couldn't care less who this 'big name' is. I hit mute every time Ray Langston came on screen and I'll probably continue doing it for whoever his replacement is.
That quote bothers me slightly and I really hope fans (particularly Nick fans) don't go down the route of instantly hating a character because they became a boss over Nick. Whilst I'd rather Nick step up to be supervisor I'll definitely keep an open mind about the new character. I thought Langston was great in his first couple of episodes and then the writing went a bit to pot so I'm hoping that the writers don't make the same mistakes again.

blackflag said:
Personally I couldn't care less who this 'big name' is. I hit mute every time Ray Langston came on screen and I'll probably continue doing it for whoever his replacement is.
That quote bothers me slightly and I really hope fans (particularly Nick fans) don't go down the route of instantly hating a character because they became a boss over Nick. Whilst I'd rather Nick step up to be supervisor I'll definitely keep an open mind about the new character. I thought Langston was great in his first couple of episodes and then the writing went a bit to pot so I'm hoping that the writers don't make the same mistakes again.

I completely agree with you. While I belive the show could survive without a new star, I think we should at least wait until we found out who the new actor is going to be, before we completely reject him/her. :) At this point, nobody (except maybe the TPTB) doesn't even know what the new character is going to be like.

Last edited:
I don't really see Wednesday after Criminal Minds as a death slot, but maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

I also don't think it's fair to assign feelings and actions to George Eads based on the opinion that he should be made the lead of the show and Nick the lead of the team. We don't know what he feels or what he will do regarding this situation and I think it's unfair to him to speculate based on emotions over TPTB's decision.

:scream::scream::scream:

So much for George/Nick taking lead

I'm trying to keep an open mind about this new character and give them a chance but can't CBS give the rest of the cast a chance before getting a new lead

As long as this new character doesn't become Super CSI overnight, get shoved down our throats, dumbs down the other characters, becomes a vigilate, and etc I think I can live with the new character :p;) plus Greg does NOT get stuck in lab all the time doing Archie's job

Glad to see wer're going back to more case of the week type episodes-hopefully some A and B case episodes

ETA: Also Wednesday is NOT a death slot, Sundays and Fridays are, CSI: NY did great in the Wed spot for years

blackflag said:

Well... I'm a Nick fan and yes I am unhappy that he won't be the lead but my reservations towards the new 'star' has nothing to do with it. I just don't like that we get a new leader who will most likely get screentime over screentime just like Langston did and who will be shoved down our throats... tptb can't do it any different because the new guy will be a leader...

Between Langston and this new guy will only be one difference... that tptb has now the right to shove the newbie down our throats because he is a leader and no bloody rookie :( And for this it really doesn't matter if I like the new guy or not... if he gets everything and the original cast nothing, I won't be happy :(

Okay, I'm gonna try to put a bit of a hope spin on this interview (thanks for the interview by the way, Shane :) ).

But we are looking for another person to join the team. They will definitely be a leader.
I think its interesting that he used the words "a leader" as opposed to "the leader". People can be considered leaders without actually being the boss. I took it more as the old saying about how there are two types of people in the world: leaders and followers. Also, he did not say for absolute whether or not the new person they were looking for would be LF's replacement or Marg's (when she leaves). It's very possible that he was being tricky by intertwining the two things in discussion to get people talking. That's why he said "they" as opposed to "he" or "she". If he had said "he", then we would have known he meant LF's replacement. If he had said "she", then we would have known he meant Marg's replacement. For all we know, the new character could become a leader by being Ecklie's replacement. Maybe Ecklie moves up the chain of command and this new person will be the new undersheriff. I think its too soon to tell at this point.

However, I think they should get a TV star as opposed to a movie star this time.

Back