"Intelligence" -- CBC's hidden gem

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by byline, Nov 21, 2007.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

Thought I'd plug a favorite TV show that few have seen, and that's a shame because many more should be watching. (And, because it's a Canadian show, it's not affected by the writers' strike.) "Intelligence" is just that; it's one of the most intelligently written and acted series I've ever seen, and certainly one of the best of the bunch in the current crop of shows. If any of you are catching "Da Vinci's Inquest" via WGN, then you'll understand why I'm raving about this one. It's another gem by Chris Haddock (creator of "Da Vinci's Inquest"), and is just as good. Ian Tracey (Mick on "Inquest") finally gets a well-deserved shot at a starring role, and it's a doozie. He's Jimmy Reardon, a major weed dealer in Vancouver. Hard to imagine how you could empathize with such a character . . . but you do because he's a fully fleshed-out character, not a caricature. And then there's Mary Spalding, played by the amazing Klea Scott. Finally, a strong leading female character whose strength isn't undermined by daddy/mommy issues. Mary is one of the best-written female characters I've come across, and Klea Scott plays her superbly.

I never thought I'd ask, "Nicholas Campbell, who?" He was so memorable as Dominic Da Vinci (far more so during his "Inquest" days than during the flawed "City Hall" phase). But the Tracey/Scott tandem makes me forget all about him . . . or, at least, not yearn for "the good old days" when "Inquest" was putting out one great episode after another. Plus, there are lots of "Inquest" alumni showing up here, including Camille Sullivan (Francine Reardon, Suki on "Inquest"), who seems to be having loads of fun playing Jimmy's seriously disturbed ex-wife. "Intelligence" makes me look forward to Mondays like never before. Just wish CBC did a better job of promoting the series. If you can catch this . . . by all means, do! (In addition to first-run episodes currently airing Monday nights on CBC, Showcase is airing repeats of "Intelligence" on Thursday nights, "Inquest" on Friday nights.)