Infomania.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

'Infomania' worse than marijuana.
    (BBC).

Workers distracted by email and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers, new research has claimed.
    The study for computing firm Hewlett Packard warned of a rise in "infomania", with people becoming addicted to email and text messages.
    Researchers found 62% of people checked work messages at home or on holiday.
    The firm said new technology can help productivity, but users must learn to switch computers and phones off.
    The study, carried out at the Institute of Psychiatry, found excessive use of technology reduced workers' intelligence.
    Those distracted by incoming email and phone calls saw a 10-point fall in their IQ - more than twice that found in studies of the impact of smoking marijuana, said researchers.
    More than half of the 1,100 respondents said they always responded to an email "immediately" or as soon as possible, with 21% admitting they would interrupt a meeting to do so.
    The University of London psychologist who carried out the study, Dr Glenn Wilson, told the Daily Mail that unchecked infomania could reduce workers' mental sharpness.
    Those who are constantly breaking away from tasks to react to email or text messages suffer similar effects on the mind as losing a night's sleep, he said.

Do you suffer from "Infomania"?

2. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Wow! Didn't have any idea about this...at least not like this big thing...Actually, and though I am just a student, I know lots of teenagers are obcessed with their mobiles and their text messages, and they even spend an entire class text messaging, without doing what they are there to do, which means studying.I actually don't like a lot that..About emails, I use them, but they are not my life!
    I guess everybody needs to know to use technology, but also to know when to stop...Don't let Infomania make you lose control of your social and working life, people!

3. Bullet_Girl

Bullet_Girl Coroner

what happens if you have no life because your parents wont let you even go to burger king by yourself? :lol: or have a boyfriend :rolleyes: Other than that, I think I might have a life, not real sure :p :lol: I do, don't worry, just not in those departments mentioned above in my message :p