How Much Do You Respect Your Pets?

well you should be taking money into consideration before getting a pet. i have two rats, i know they are prone to tumours (although i have males so there is less of a risk) so if they get them i need to be ready to either pay for surgery or euthanasia depending on how severe.
we dont take our cat to the vet every year, but not because of the cost. it is so extremely stressful to her we dont put her through it. but if something is wrong (which has only happened once) we took her straight away. she was in kitty icu for about a week and i think the vet bill was in the thousands. then we took her back for a check up to make sure the infection was all gone.
if a sick pet becomes a finincial burden you can always take them to humane society. its much better than being found out and charged with animal cruelty later on.

DaWacko said:
saraholic said:

I do live in the city, but many of my neighbors and myself have easily buried our pets in the front yard. The ground is very soft across the street (I used to tend the old neighbor's lawn right before they moved.). It would've taken literally only minutes, but they chose the short, simple way out and just threw it away like it was a piece of trash. I do understand your points to the fullest extent, but they didn't feed him well. He was skin and bones and then when we would be outside and their cat walked up to them, they would pamper it and pretend they loved it. I'm not really saying they didn't, but when we were inside, they acted like it didn't exist or that it wasn't worth their time and efforts. If they didn't want to bury it, as a previous poster said, they could've called animal control to pick up the body.
How do you know they didn't care about the cat when it was inside? Were you there? Just wondering and try to understand point of view.

Sometimes cats can be skinny. I have two very skinny cats and believe me, those are loved and fed :p

Perhaps they didn't think, just wanted to get rid of it fast. At least they put it in the box. Didn't have shovel, didn't want to dig anything to their front yard. What if it's not deep enough and some dog comes and digs it up?

Other reason may be the money? How much it will cost to call 'em to pick up a cat? Even I love my cats, I'd never spend so much money what vet takes if they put cat to sleep. We have our own methods that are quick and they don't suffer.

I don't know if they didn't love them. I even said that. lol The cat was never inside, so I saw it all the time. It was a loyal cat and would stay in their front yard or come over to our's. As I saw it from day one, I saw how much it had thinned over time. I would feed it at times, but I couldn't feed it all the time as 1.) It wasn't my cat. and 2.) I had to feed my 2 cats, so I didn't want to spend all that much money on food. You mentioned a lack of money for calling them. I know for a fact that you don't have to spend money for calling them to pick up a dead cat in the middle of the road, as I have done it for cats in my neighborhood (not mine). allmaple is also right by saying that you need to consider money when getting a pet. If you can fund its life, you should be able to fund its death imo.

Like I've said before, my dogs, are basically my life, I just broke my foot (the very day I got back from a vacation in Austraila) and have been doing nothing but laying in bed and watching TV. Nick (Boxer), Rick(Boxer), Gris(Boston Terrier), Greggo(Rat Terrier), Poncho (Chihuahua), Josh (Basset Hound) and Krull(Chinese Crested) all stay in my house during the day, but Nick and Rick sleep in their dog beds outside and since I live in Texas, it really doesn't get that cold here, it's usually 60 degrees at the lowest, so I know that they won't get that cold. And I've recently had to bury one of my first dogs, Shorty another Basset Hound :(, he was about 9 years old and his heart must have given out during the night. It was kind've strange, because me and my sister went to the pet store the next day to get some supplies for the others and we start looking at the new puppies that they had for sale and there's this tiny Basset Hound, looking up at me with a sleepy face and needless to say I took him home. A couple months before that, Evel, a Bull Terrier that my boyfriend and me raised, got cancer and had to put to sleep. I also think that dogs should be given dogs that reflect their personality. As you can see with my dogs' :D
Nick - Very Protective
Rick - Very Playful
Gris - Lazy :confused:
Greggo - Hyper and barks at the tv when ever he hears someone say Greg or Greggo.
Poncho - Feisty
Josh - I wonder who I named him after :lol:? Lazy, all hounds are lazy!
Krull - By far one of the cutest ugliest dogs I've ever seen, He's so ugly, he's cute! my mom's told me. Got his name from my favorite move, How to lose a guy in 10 days.
Excuse my rambling, I'm bored I need something to hold me over!

saraholic said:
I would feed it at times, but I couldn't feed it all the time as 1.) It wasn't my cat. and 2.) I had to feed my 2 cats, so I didn't want to spend all that much money on food. You mentioned a lack of money for calling them. I know for a fact that you don't have to spend money for calling them to pick up a dead cat in the middle of the road, as I have done it for cats in my neighborhood (not mine). allmaple is also right by saying that you need to consider money when getting a pet. If you can fund its life, you should be able to fund its death imo.

Catfood doesn't cost so much, esp if you teach it to eat lefovers (such as meat and stuff).

Of course I agree. If you want a pet, you need to understand that you have to feed it and stuff.

Having three female cats, I'd probably never take a cat to the vet. Even love those, there's plenty of new coming. Ok fine, I took our youngest cat to little snipsnip because three female cats mean lots of kittens, but other option would have been killing her. Even I wasn't the one who wanted to keep it (since we already had two) I had no heart to let my bro to kill it.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can call people cruel or do not love/respect their pets if they don't bury their pets.

There's still the limit that human is the boss. Like when we don't allow cats to go on the table. There's human and then there's cat.

Even they didn't bury the cat, it doesn't mean they are "bad people"

Ducky do you not have humane societies or adoption centers to take cats when you get too many? surely theres a better option than killing them.
at the barn where i ride all of the male cats are neutered because its easier and cheaper to do than females since they dont need invasive surgery. but there are the ferral toms that will come and get at the girl cats. almost all of the kittens are adopted and they only keep a few as barn cats when the others get old. my riding coach has even captured ferral cats that have kittens and gives them a place in the barn and food, and then adopts out the kittens.
my friend kept her horse at a persons house in the country, and they treated their barn animals horribly. cats and kittens were stepped on by horses and got no medical treatment. they just hobbled around with their broken bones, and the dog who lived in the barn had bleeding tumours in her ears. these people obviously had money from the size of their house, property, and the types of horses they had. there was no need for the barn animals to live like that.
at least in north america, you can drop a sick animal off at spca/aspca no questions asked. but if they find out you havent been giving necessary medical attention to an animal they will press charges.

allmaple said:
Ducky do you not have humane societies or adoption centers to take cats when you get too many? surely theres a better option than killing them.

Not in 200km radius. I happen to live in area where is no big cities around. I don't think the "biggest" city near here has one...

Besides, even you give those to such a place, you still need to keep those is it...four or five months? Well so long that they eat "normal food" No thanks. So we usually kill those right away. I try to avoid kittens by giving pills mostly to our oldest cat, but the damn Stripey one goes missing for 3-4 days now and then and then she's preggies :mad: Twice she has brought 4 week old kittens home and they are so big already that we haven't had heart to kill those and we've found home for them.

Our cats main purpose is to get rid of the mice. I'd like to have male cat, so we wouldn't get kittens but no, no one else wants that.

I do not actually own a pet, but my sister owns a miniature schnauzer and I love that dog more than I love some people. I could not imagine my life without animals, especially dogs. I do not know what to say about the neighbor; obviously some people do not care about animals as much as others. I personally could not even dream of doing that. I have buried nearly every animal I have owned (fish, hermit crabs, a turtle, etc). Our prior dog was cremated, our rabbit was cremated. I love animals and cannot stand to see them be treated bad, which often tempts me to go into the field of animal cops. There was just a story on the news about a pitbull found practically starved to death and my heart broke for him.

DaWacko said:
allmaple said:

Not in 200km radius. I happen to live in area where is no big cities around. I don't think the "biggest" city near here has one...

Besides, even you give those to such a place, you still need to keep those is it...four or five months? Well so long that they eat "normal food" No thanks. So we usually kill those right away. I try to avoid kittens by giving pills mostly to our oldest cat, but the damn Stripey one goes missing for 3-4 days now and then and then she's preggies :mad: Twice she has brought 4 week old kittens home and they are so big already that we haven't had heart to kill those and we've found home for them.

Our cats main purpose is to get rid of the mice. I'd like to have male cat, so we wouldn't get kittens but no, no one else wants that.

In that case, it'd be justified to dispose of the dead pet in that matter, I guess. But we have so many of them nearby. All it would've taken was a call to any of them, but they didn't. :(

I love animals and cannot stand to see them be treated bad, which often tempts me to go into the field of animal cops. There was just a story on the news about a pitbull found practically starved to death and my heart broke for him.

i dont think i could do that, people do such horrible things to their animals. although in two years i hope to be in vet school so i will see some of it too.
there was a story in the news, somewhere in the states, where an 18 year old and a 19 year old put a live puppy in a community center oven and turned it on. they got 10 years in prison for animal cruelty, trespassing, and property damage. i say good ridance.

Back