Horatio Caine CSI, Cop or Vigilante

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by ChaliQ, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ChaliQ

ChaliQ Victim

For some reason CSI Miami the CSI's seem to be more like cops than technicians. Horatio uses his badge & gun to solve personal problems. If a regular citizen acted as he does he'd be doing at the very least life in jail. Delco should be out on disability with a bullet lodged in his brain. This show has no pattern & it makes up little unbelievable plots as it goes along. Horatio must also have unlimited income as he takes every case personally & pays for apartments for a variety of people from his past, I also like the way he interrogates prisoners by cleaning his shades & talking to them either sideways or with his back to them. What style.

2. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

All the CSI's on this show were cops before they were CSI's; not so on the other CSI shows.

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Don't forget about Horatio flying down to Rio, way out of his jurisdiction.

4. HockeyInMiami

HockeyInMiami Victim

Seriously, how do you kill two people outside of the job and get away with it? Yeah, he's also a police officer, but killing people out of revenge? He ought to be in jail!

That doesn't make him any less entertaining, though.

5. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:scream: I must have seen a different version than mentioned here and in other threads.

In the "Rio" I saw, Horatio and Eric went to Rio to bring Riaz back to Miami to face trial, though they did it without authorization.

Horatio killed Riaz in defense of Eric and the other guy (don't remember his name) in defense of Ray, Jr.

6. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well it's not like Eric wasn't going to be able to kill the guy either. I mean Eric went to that particular place with the clear intention of killing Riaz, not matter why. It's not like he went there to grab a cup of coffee with the guy :shifty:

Horatio killed Riaz in defense of Eric who went there to kill him. Sorry, but as much I enjoy this show, I just can't define it self-defense or defense of weak person.
    Not to mention that Calleigh was monitoring Eric and called H telling him that Delko was nowhere to be found and puff Horatio was there ready to help Delko :rolleyes:. It's even worse than the Russian mob :lol:

And as much I love this show, I do think that:
    - Horatio should be in jail and I'm sure most trial juries would give him a life sentence.
    - Eric should be out on disability.
    - Calleigh should resign or even better visit a good shrink, a very good one.
    Well yeah this trio is pretty messed up and most of the storylines on this show are pretty unbelievable, but as Emily Procter mentioned we should love this show because it's the comic side of the usual crime drama, at least that's how I'm going on watching it despite some horrific plots :p

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

That's the same version I saw. I don't think they went there to kill. Mess up the guy, probably but not kill. And if it'll be said that Eric went there to kill then the same thing has to be said about Horatio. The guy killed Eric's sister who was also Horatio's wife. I also agree that the killings were in self defense. Some may speculate that they went with intent to kill but others may speculate that they didn't. In the end it's a matter of speculation.

8. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

Since the opening scenes showed Eric, complete with all the necessary extradition paperwork, trying to secure Riaz' return to Miami, there wasn't much room for speculation. The intent was clear.

Things changed when Mexican authorities discounted the papers, then with Ray's death and Ray, Jr.'s disappearance. In no way was there premeditated murder.

I was more offended by Horatio's attitude in closing scenes of "To Kill a Predator" than anything in "Rio".

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

It's been a long time since I've seen the episode so thanks for the clarification. I agree there was no way they were planning murder. Even with all the anger they had I don't think they would've killed the guy for anything else than self defense.

I have to add the beginning of All In to that list. When he shot that guy in Brazil point blank while he was on the floor.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Too lazy to re-read all the postings, but most police departments would not have allowed Eric or Horatio on the case. Marisol was Eric's sister and Horatio's wife. You might believe that the paperwork showed intent to bring Riaz back, but get real. We know what was going through their minds.

11. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

Agreed, although he was in a defensive position there.

Second-guessing the writers? Maybe you should have a chat with them. They wrote the scenes with the extradition papers intact, as Eric stated rather emphatically. Are you suggesting those scenes weren't there? Seemed clear to me!

12. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

LOVE YOUR AVATAR, Florry86. That cracks me up! Hope Calleigh didn't have burritos for lunch!

Wow! I'm gone a day or two and stumble on to a subject that's more loaded than the E/C romance!!

I guess having had family in law enforcement AND Internal Affairs, that's kind of hard for me. Seasond cops know little secrets about how to make things appear and disappear. Not only that, but Internal Affairs has been known to advise them how to do this so the department won't look too bad.

With all the things that's happened to Horatio, Eric and Calleigh, it's amazing they don't have to get dumped into the rubber room. Somehow I don't remember the other two CSI shows being like that.

You do have to wonder how county employees in Miami can afford those expensive cars, clothes and condos, not to mention being able to pay for all those funerals. In "Driven", I wondered how Marisol, who can't afford her rent and groceries, can afford to go to an upscale spa like that. Those aren't cheap. I liked Marisol, but there were just way too many things wrong with that.

I maintain that the show was great in the early years, but S5 was when it really started to go downhill, imho. Horatio became "Super H" and was hardly ever in the lab anymore. Anybody even remember that he was on the bomb squad?

But hey, as long as H continues to butt heads with Rick Stetler :drool:, I'll keep watching.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree with both of you. And although he was in a defensive position, I wish he'd have found another method of dealing with the guy rather than shooting him. I realize that the adrenlin was surging and Horatio was probably tired as hell of dealing with those people, but that's not the Horatio from earlier seasons.

There are only two situations when I've been extremely disappointed in Horatio - and that is one of them.

The other is "To Kill a Predator". Although we never saw what truly happened, and I'd like to think that Horatio just scared the crap out of the guy, we were left with the strong insinuation that Horatio did much more than that.

It was clear to me as well. They went with the intent of bringing Riaz back to stand trial - the extradition papers were there. The situation went from bad to worse with the death of Raymond and Riaz baiting Horatio by showing him he had Ray Jr.

I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show as everyone else. Horatio didn't murder anyone in "Rio". He killed Riaz in self-defense. There was no murder.

14. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

I remember Corey Miller saying Horatio was going to go dark. Those two episodes, "All In" and "To Kill a Predator" ran back to back in Season 6. It seemed to me tptb were testing the waters for viewer reaction.

They got it, and then some! Season 7 brought back a tiny bit of the original Horatio, but not enough. Season 8 is stilll up in the air.

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well OFC the beginning is perfectly clear to me as well. They went there with the best of intentions, I can't deny it, though it didn't seem that legal to me either. I mean there's always the whole conflicts of interest on this show which bugs me! But after Riaz threatened Horatio's family, you just can't say that Eric Delko went to the chopper place just to have a chat and possibly grab a cup of coffee with Riaz. Delko went there to kill Riaz, they were fighting and Delko was sooooo ready to kill Riaz. Thank god Calleigh interrupted H & Yelina with her phone call. I'm not saying that Horatio is a bloody killer b/c of the episode as, technically, Horatio killed Riaz in self-defence, though it's a very streched idea, IMHO, but they shouldn't have gone to that chopper place, that's all!

The big mistake was there, it's all about conflict of interests on this show. Ig euss that TPTB don't even know what this expression means. Whenever they can't investigate on a case, they're the first one to do so. I've never seen such a thing on the other CSIs.
    As someone else already mentioned. Aiden from CSI:NY was fired because she temepered with the evidence and how many times have we seen someone else investigating on case a CSI was involved in? Calleigh couldn't investigate on her father's accident b/c oh yeah he was her father. Ryan Wolfe investigated on it.

Now Delko can investigate on his shrink's case or, even worse, can cover his father's ass claiming that he's investigating :rolleyes:.
    Calleigh can walk around the lab right when she has just been suspended because oh yeah she killed a person in the city centre when she was drunk at 9 a.m. :rolleyes:
    Horatio is a suspect and look at there, he can work on his own case :rolleyes:

Yeah they definetly don't know the meaning of conflict of interests :p

Alamance