Hello

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by JamesiBoi, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JamesiBoi

JamesiBoi Civilian

Hey guys was just wondering Iam just turning 26 and was wondering if that is too late to start a career in forensic science? also another maybe silly question is that I smoke cigarettes and was wondering if that will prevent me from getting a job in forensics? What is the best way of goin about getting a job forensic related?

Many thanks

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

First, you need to decide whether you want to work at the crime scene collecting evidence or in a lab processing the findings. Do you want to analyze fingerprints, DNA, ballistics/firearms, documents, trace evidence (fabrics, tire tracks, etc), or any of the other areas? I won't get into the pluses and minuses of cigarette smoking, but as long as you don't smoke in the lab or at the immediate crime scene, or get the ashes from your clothes all over the evidence, it should not make a difference. Since I am not in this profession, these are just guesses. Maybe a school counselor might be able to help. Of course, science and math classes might help in many of these areas.

Check with any local college or university that offers forensics classes. Not sure where you are located, but here this state are West Virginia University in Morgantown and Marshall University in Huntington.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  3. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

I agree with Dynamo1: Your age isn't an issue. You'll need the appropriate education for CSI or forensics lab work ... and you'd have to adjust to never smoking in the lab or at a crime scene.

4. steph_r

steph_r Witness

Ah it is never too late! I have never heard of smoking being any kind of a problem in working in this field, as long as you're not smoking on the crime scenes :p
    Do you have any idea of what sort of area you would be interested in working in?

5. Audrey2419

Audrey2419 Pathologist

About the smoking; I can tell you that many county and state governments, including the one I live in, charge higher health insurance rates if you are a smoker.

As to the career change; it's never too late to do that.

Good Luck:)