Happy Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<font color="yellow">()</font> Happy Birthday, Siri (aka CSIri), on April 10th!
|| Also born on this date are Haley Joel Osment, Richard Wearne,
|| Floris (Prince of Netherlands), Olivia Brown, Jeb Adams,
|| Tim "Herb" Alexander, Warren DeMartini, Brian Setzer,
|| Kenneth 'Babyface' Edmonds, Peter MacNicol, Jouko Törmänen,
|| Steven Seagal, Don Meredith, John Madden, Omar Sharif,
|| Robert "Bobby" Smith, Hari Rhodes, Max Von Sydow,
|| Sheb Wooley, Junior Samples, Harry Morgan, and Chuck Connors.
-- Make a wish and blow out the candle.

smilie-birthday.gif

Happy belated b'day GGCSI!

and Happy birthday Siri!!!
I hope you have great day :D

and Dynamo...who is Jouko Törmänen?
name is Finnish but I don't recall him...

Jouko Törmänen, born on April 10, 1954, in Rovaniem, Finland, 90 meter ski jumper (Olympics-gold-1980).

<font color="lightgreen">Off topic for a second, but based on your last post, who was the ski-jumper notorious for being the "Agony Of Defeat" during the start of ABC's Wide World of Sports</font>

Posted by Dynamo1:
Jouko Törmänen, born on April 10, 1954, in Rovaniem, Finland, 90 meter ski jumper (Olympics-gold-1980).

You know...I remembered that a few mins after I posted. I don't know how I thought all those people were related to TV :lol:
But I'm glad you posted. I guess this just wasn't my morning :lol:

Yeah he won in Olympics in Lake Placid..oh god I've seen him jumping so many times when watching documents about ski jumping and all.

From Wikipedia website:

Vinko Bogataj was a Slovenian ski jumper, who became noted on television in the United States for a moment of spectacular failure.

Bogataj was competing as a (then) Yugoslav entrant at the World Ski Flying Championships in Oberstdorf, Germany (then West Germany) on March 21, 1970. A light snow had begun falling at the start of the event, and by the time Bogataj was ready for his third jump, the snow had become quite heavy.

Midway down the ramp for that jump, Bogataj realized that the conditions had made the ramp too fast. He attempted to lower his center of gravity and stop his jump, but instead lost his balance completely and rocketed out of control off the end of the ramp, tumbling and flipping wildly, and crashing through a light retaining fence near a crowd of stunned spectators before coming to a halt. Fortunately - and surprisingly, given the ferocity of the crash - Bogataj suffered only a mild concussion. He returned to ski jumping the next year, but never duplicated the success he had before the crash and retired from the sport competitively (except for occasional senior competitions thereafter). He became a ski instructor, coaching the 1991 World Champion Slovenian ski jumper Franci Petek, and supplementing his income by operating a forklift at a factory.

Continued at Wikipedia. For once, IMDB let me down.

I wonder if he is a father of Juri Bogataj. He is ski jumper at the moment in team Slovenia.

Hee, they don't compete in ski flying in Obersdorf anymore.. because hill is too small for it nowadays.

Did you know that longest jump made Janne Ahonen in last month (20th March 2005), 240m but it's not a record because he fell? Norewegian Björn Einar Romören has official record...239m
Both jumped in Planica, Slovenia.

From the Wikipedia site:

Today, Bogataj still lives in his home town of Lesce in Slovenia. He is married and has two daughters, and in his spare time enjoys woodcarving and painting.

Someone else asked at that site back in February whether they are related, but nobody has responded. Wikipedia lists him as Jure Bogataj.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back