GSR - How Do I Live Without You?

Chapter 3:

Grissom almost let out a sigh of relief as Sara turned to face him, allowing him to explain his side of the story. He’d hurt her. He could see that, and he hated himself for not telling her anything ahead of time. He was still getting used to the idea of being in a relationship, and it was the small things like this that he always forgot, but he was getting better.

Sara’s gaze was far from the flames it had been the night before. It was soft and curious, but it was mainly hurting. She was hurting inside no matter how she tried to hide it on the outside. It still bugged her that there was another person in the world whom Grissom may or may not love. She leaned back against the counter while Bruno made a small circle by their feet and lay down. She kept her eyes on Grissom’s as she spoke with a soft, almost vulnerable, voice, “Tell me everything. Even the things I probably don’t want to hear. Just tell me everything.”

Grissom held out his hand to give Sara the chance to take it or turn him away. He was actually surprised when she took his hand, following him back into their bedroom. He didn’t think she would come with him as quickly as she did, but he wasn’t complaining. They both knew that it needed to be discussed.

With almost an annoyed sigh, Bruno stood from his comfortable position and followed his people back into the bedroom. Grissom had lain down on the bed and Sara curled into his arms using his shoulder for her pillow. Bruno jumped up onto their bed and curled back into a small ball to gain some sleep.

Sara drew soft circles on Gil’s chest with her fingers as she looked up at him, “Alright, go ahead.”

Pressing a soft kiss to her lips, Gil began the story of what happened. His hand softly caressed and rubbed her back while he spoke, “She’s been very depressed since Zoe died, and she’s dived headfirst into her work…”

She couldn’t help but smile a bit, looking up to him, “Sounds like someone else I know.”

He smiled, kissing her forehead, “Hush, I’m talking.” She smiled, nuzzling back into his arms. It was at that moment that he knew everything would be okay. She may be upset with him, but she would be able to forgive him and that meant the most to him. Being forgiven by the person he loved was the one thing he wanted more than anything else in the world. He continued to rub her back as he spoke, “She started to do things she never used to. She was the one person at the dominion who would never see a client off the books. But when Zoe died, that all changed. Heather became a different person both in and out of her work.”

At Sara’s confused gaze, Grissom smiled softly again. Running his hands through her hair, he twirled the soft curls through his fingers, “If you’re thinking what I think you’re thinking, I’ve never paid for sex nor have I ever had sex with her. There were times she wanted it, and there were times where I almost did it with her, but we never did. And believe me, you’re the only woman in my life and you’ve been the only one since I met you. Even when we were apart for those years, I was never with anyone else. Hell, I was jealous of Hank because he had the one woman I wanted, but couldn’t find the words to tell her I needed her.”
Sara couldn’t help but laugh, “Believe me, you have no reason to be jealous of Hank.” At Gil’s questioning look, she smirked a bit, “You’re a million times better than he is in every aspect.” She softly kissed his chest before resting in his arms to hear the rest of the story.

He laughed a bit at her words, “Good to know that, but he still had the one thing I wanted for years. You, but that doesn’t matter anymore because I have you now. But like I was saying, Heather has been having some hard times lately and the man she had been seeing off the books was far from a good guy. She knew that, and that was why she paid him to kill her. She wanted her death to come quickly after she realized she would probably never see her granddaughter. Her death would mean getting to see Zoe again and that was what she wanted. She wanted to see her daughter again. That was why I knew I had to help her in anyway I possibly could. She needed that little girl, but she wasn’t willing to do her best and fight for her the way she should have been.”

He sighed a bit as he thought about it, all the pain she had been through. He didn’t love her like he loved Sara, far from it. He loved Heather like he loved Catherine. Friends. Nothing more, nothing less. Sara was the only one he needed in his life no matter what anyone thought was going on between him and Heather. He only needed Sara; his Sara. He softly kissed the top of her head, softly inhaling the sweet scent of her hair; “I did everything I could for her. She needed me to stay there last night because she feared for her life. Nothing went on, I can promise you that. Nothing happened between us, and nothing ever will. I stayed there with her and we talked about her granddaughter and how she lost the custody battle. Tonight, I’ve got a small surprise planned for her and I want you to be there with me.”

Sara cocked an eyebrow as she looked up to him, “Me? Why me? I mean, I really don’t think Heather likes me too much as it is Gil…”

Grissom smiled at her words, kissing the soft wrinkles in her scrunched up forehead, “I want you there because I love you, and I want you both to get to know each other. Besides, we talked about you last night and she wants to get to know you more. She liked the way you treated her in the hospital, and she respects you. She’s not usually a trusting person, and it’s amazing the way she talked about you. Besides…” He shifted, pinning her to the bed with a grin, “…you’re my Butterfly and I want you there.”

Sara squealed when he pinned her, squirming against his grasp. With a smile, she leaned up and kissed him. Realizing what was coming; Bruno jumped off the bed and curled up on his bed in the corner of the room. He knew better than to still be on the bed when his people got that way. Shaking Sara’s shirt from his head, he curled back up in a ball and went to sleep after nudging the rest of their flying clothes off of his bed.

Back