Grissom Takes a Hiatus

CSI Files

Captain
<font color=yellow>William Petersen</font>’s leave of absence from CSI to perform on a Providence stage will be felt by viewers for the first time on Thursday, January 4th.

Petersen’s character, Gil Grissom, is going on sabbatical to deal with frustrations that have been making his job performance difficult. “We’ve seen Grissom suffering from burnout,” explains <font color=yellow>Carol Mendelsohn</font>, executive producer. “Now he has an offer to teach a seminar at Williams college, which he finds enticing.”

Grissom’s temporary absence from CSI will have a lasting effect on relationships in the lab. “He’s taught all of them so much that he realizes they’ve become his equals,” adds Mendelsohn. “And he’ll tell Warrick that he’s the rock of the team now. It’s a passing of the torch.”

According to Mendelsohn, Grissom’s departure will cause tension in his relationship with Sara. In a future episode, Grissom will try to make things right by sending Sara something.

The full article may be read in the December 25-January 2 issue of <A class="link" HREF=http://www.tvguide.com>TV Guide</a>.

Special thanks to Al Forno for submitting this story to CSI Files.<center></center>

Re: Grissom Takes a Hiatus

maybe he'l' send her another plant, stupid old man, ROFL.

i cant wait till he goes, coz then we will see the real side of all the characters, like sara and nick like in gum drops.

the best episode was one without grissom, maybe the 25% of viewers that TPTB lost by forcing GSR on us will come back when grissom is gone.

^^^ So that means the 75% who stayed and watched will get shafted? I hardly think that's logical math, my friend... ;)

I'm not a fan of GSR either but it's not about to scare me away from a show I love. I'm made of tougher stuff than that. :) I will miss Grissom for those episodes, but I'm actually really looking forward to Liev Schreiber being on, and also, as you mentioned heart, seeing the other characters get their moments in the sun. :)

I'm with you guys. I'm one of the few that is kind of tired of Grissom's superiority complex. I mean, I like the guy. But I find his flaws are waring on my patience.

Like telling Warrick he's the 'rock' of the team. No he's not. I'm sorry. I don't think there was ever a 'rock' of the time. They were a united front. Grissom was the leader by default, but they all were individual units.

I really want to see the other characters get their moment in the sun.

BabaOReilly said:
^^^ So that means the 75% who stayed and watched will get shafted? I hardly think that's logical math, my friend... ;)
no, most of the people that stayed stayed because they are loyal to the show and think that TPTB will fix it, most of them aint GSR shippers, GSR shippers are the minority, its easily the most hated ship, and with good reason.

but yes i cant wait to see more of the other characters.

and ive been over grissom's superiority complex since season 1, i hate him

heartagram69 said:
no, most of the people that stayed stayed because they are loyal to the show and think that TPTB will fix it, most of them aint GSR shippers, GSR shippers are the minority, its easily the most hated ship, and with good reason.

How could you possibly know that? You couldn't. Using your logic...25% of their audience tuned out because of GSR, had nothing to do with going up against the hottest show on TV. So couldn't I turn around and use the same logic and say that the remaining 22 millions viewers stayed around because they like GSR? I don't actually believe that, I think most viewers don't care and as far as GSR's being the minority, shippers are the minority, as are fans who are active online, so I wouldn't be using fandom experience to gage the views of millions.

Broad sweeping statements like that are just your opinion, they certainly aren't fact. Until you poll 25 million people, I don't think you should be so arrogant as to assume that you know what all of them are thinking, or that they all agree with you. The fact is you can speak for yourself and your friends as to why you do or don't choose to watch, but you don't speak for 20+ million people and you don't know why they do or don't tune in.

Txxgrrrl said:
heartagram69 said:

How could you possibly know that? You couldn't. Using your logic...25% of their audience tuned out because of GSR, had nothing to do with going up against the hottest show on TV. So couldn't I turn around and use the same logic and say that the remaining 22 millions viewers stayed around because they like GSR? I don't actually believe that, I think most viewers don't care and as far as GSR's being the minority, shippers are the minority, as are fans who are active online, so I wouldn't be using fandom experience to gage the views of millions.

Broad sweeping statements like that are just your opinion, they certainly aren't fact. Until you poll 25 million people, I don't think you should be so arrogant as to assume that you know what all of them are thinking, or that they all agree with you. The fact is you can speak for yourself and your friends as to why you do or don't choose to watch, but you don't speak for 20+ million people and you don't know why they do or don't tune in.
shippers are the minority, and the minority of shippers like GSR.

we all know TPTB's move to put GSR canon was a shit one that lost millions of viewers, and that they need to fix it if they want to keep their ratings, viewers are dropping like flies because of it, its gross and makes alot of people want to hurl.

the majority of people that watch dont care about ships so didnt tune out when GSR went canon, but 25% of people did, and there's probably only like 5% left that actually ship, meaning that 25% did ship and lost faith in the show.

it was a bad move all round, and the ratings and other things show it.

basically if they keep GSR it will be the death of the show

heartagram69 said:
shippers are the minority, and the minority of shippers like GSR.
we all know TPTB's move to put GSR canon was a shit one that lost millions of viewers, and that they need to fix it if they want to keep their ratings, viewers are dropping like flies because of it, its gross and makes alot of people want to hurl.

the majority of people that watch dont care about ships so didnt tune out when GSR went canon, but 25% of people did, and there's probably only like 5% left that actually ship, meaning that 25% did ship and lost faith in the show.

Again, you don't speak for millions of people, you don't have any evidence that GSR is the reason that they tuned out. You don't have any evidence that the one's who are tuning in are just putting up with it. You're only evidence is that you feel this way. So you are now presuming to speak for 20+ million people because you are sure they agree with you? How do you know that? Did you contact them by e-mail or phone? That must have taken quite some time.

As far as GSR shippers being in the minority. Not internet activity wise they aren't. Message board membership alone blows that theory out of the water. There is one GS board alone that has a membership of well over 11,000. If only 1/4 of those members are GS fans that's almost 3000 people and I would imagine if polled more than 25% of those people signed up with an interest in GSR. But since I can't prove that I'll go with 25%. I know of another one that has over 1500 members. Please feel free to direct me to another shipper board that has that many members.

As I said above, you speak only for yourself. Not 20 million people and to argue that you could possibly know what all of them are thinking is childish and arrogant to say the least. Just because you feel a certain way about something doesn't mean that the rest of the audience automatically agrees with you.

I'm quite looking forward to the episodes without Grissom, Liev Schreiber is great and I think it will be really interesting to see the other characters reactions and response to the change. Telling Warrick he is the rock of the team also shows some continuity from season 2 (Ellie) which is good to see. I think the article suggests that the rest of the season could be very interesting for seeing character insights and maybe a shift in team dynamics whilst focusing on great storylines.

I hope, as a procedural drama, that CSI continues to give us the great storylines as well as the interesting characters that we can relate to. The show's original success was down to the innovative approach and storylines, and not down to the soap opera that is shipping, so I doubt a serious number of fans would either leave or watch a show due to individual character relationships, or lack thereof.

As for GSR, I think tptb have handled it in an unobtrusive and appropriate manner but shipping isn't real life, and neither are the characters, so I wouldn't get too worried if your ship isn't happening or how many fans it has, because it really doesn't matter. :)

Happy holidays to you all.

Yes, I believe that anything stated on here by fans (or ex-fans ;) ) can only be considered opinion and not fact. It would be an interesting study if someone was able to poll every single CSI fan and see where they really stand... but it ain't gonna happen. :lol:

I for one am not a GSR shipper. In fact, I don't feel that anyone on the show (at least not the main characters) has any chemistry, so I guess you could say that I'm not a shipper at all. But if you take a peek in the Shippers Forum, I think you'll see that a LOT of CSI fans are.

But this argument/discussion is academic. It's been done a couple bazillion times and will undoubtedly be done a couple bazillion more before all is said and done. The only thing we can do is share a few opinions and see who bites. ;)

Again, I'm looking forward to seeing what the other folks do with Grissom gone. And I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens when he comes back. Will people look at him differently? Will he be less of a boss/mentor and more of a regular-type colleague, if/when they all find out that it's business as usual even without Grissom there? It will be interesting to see how this alters the interactions in the lab afterward.

yes....i will laugh so hard when grissom breaks sara's heart! LOL....looking forward to that...

however, i don't think csi will do so well without its front man. The other characters are great, but none are leader material....

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Grissom gone for a bit, and what the show feels like without him, but I'm glad he's not going for good. At least not yet.

As for the show losing viewers this season, believe me, that was all Grey's Anatomy. The Grissom/Sara relationship is so understated that casual viewers of the show (and anyone who missed last year's finale) probably don't even realize they're together.

This is what I don't get about the whole GSR haters rants. I've only seen a handful of episodes this season, but like Top said, if you weren't careful, you might not even realise they were a couple. And for that reason alone I like the relationship. I hate it when any pairing takes over a show and the show becomes more about the relationship than the individual characters and cases.
TPTB seem to have figured out how to do subtle with Griss and Sarah, and there's plenty of other shows that could learn from them.

Top41 said:
As for the show losing viewers this season, believe me, that was all Grey's Anatomy. The Grissom/Sara relationship is so understated that casual viewers of the show (and anyone who missed last year's finale) probably don't even realize they're together.
i dont agree, i mean heaps of people have tivo so they can watch both shows neway, yes thankgod the GSR scenes are horrible shmoopy ones, but they still are gross. him calling her 'dear' showed his age, and shows how wrong it is, dear is what you call your daughter, not your lover.

even subtle gris sara makes me want to hurl. its just wrong on so many levels.

i'm not planning on watching season 7, ill read the spoilers, and maybe watch eps i know have no GSR scenes, or just skip through them. but most likely the only whole eps ill watch are grissomless ones.

i hate the man, always have, always will.

but i do agree that other tv shows could learn somin from CSI.

two things, A) dont make teh most hated ship canon, and B) dont let shows get too character/relationship driven, it kills the shows. like ER for instance

I for one will miss WP. The ep (s) i saw without him didn't do anything for me. To me he's the heart of the show. As for Grissom/Sara I don't really care. At least it wasn't thrown on us like another storyline was. I knew from the get go something was happening between them.It was led up to what happened at the end of S6. That I can deal with. Not this one dinner thing then you're getting married. I'll miss him. Hope he hurrys back real soon.

Back