Greatest Series Finales

JimJiminy81 said:
I gotta go with ANGEL. I think it perfectly encapsulated what the show was all about, summed it up, and managed to go out with a scene that really said it all, while ensuring that the audience knew that the characters lived on long after the show ended. No series finale has ever left me looking at a whole show and thinking, "Damn, that was awesome" the way ANGEL did it.

I agree. I felt like it went out with a bang, it didn't tell us what happened but allowed us to imagine for ourselves. The way it ended was just so sudden, so Joss Whedon that I was in awe, in tears and made me want to watch it from Ep 1 all over again.

the only show that i watch all the time that has actually ended is Xena: The Warrior Princess

oh god... that was such a sad ending. i cry like a baby everytime i watch it. and then i assure myself that ares or one of the other gods found a way to bring her back to life. and then gabby and xena grew old together but we just didnt see it. *sigh*

Arrested Development.

Nothing made me laugh harder or be more disturbed in my life than that. Plus, it had a satisfying ending. Haha... Ron Howard...

I think my favorite finale would have to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I love Spike, he deserved a heroic end. It was nice to see someone besides Buffy come out as the one who saved the world.

Definitely both Buffy and Angel series finales. Spike was one of my favorite characters ever. He and Sark from Alias are the lovable bad guys.

My favorite - that I can think of right now - would probably be China Beach. Everyone gathering at the reunion and visiting "the wall". K.C. giving her daughter some closure by showing up and having a little talk.

My least favorite: la Femme Nikita. how could they not have Nikita & Michael end with a happily-ever-after?

The problem is, these days they always seem to leave the door open at the series end for some kind of reunion show or special.

CrimeShark said:
JimJiminy81 said:
I gotta go with ANGEL. I think it perfectly encapsulated what the show was all about, summed it up, and managed to go out with a scene that really said it all, while ensuring that the audience knew that the characters lived on long after the show ended. No series finale has ever left me looking at a whole show and thinking, "Damn, that was awesome" the way ANGEL did it.

I agree. I felt like it went out with a bang, it didn't tell us what happened but allowed us to imagine for ourselves. The way it ended was just so sudden, so Joss Whedon that I was in awe, in tears and made me want to watch it from Ep 1 all over again.

This one really divided the fans a lot. I hated Wesley's death, always liked him. And I never did like cliffhangers lol.

Some fans felt Angel kinda got lost or mired down or whatever going against the COTBT and doing what they saw as a suicide run and killing a lot of innocents indirectly...and Drogyn.

I just choose to say they did live because this was going to be the season finale with a few minor changes anyway if it had gone on to S6. And I'm perpetually angry at the WB for taking the show off, little meanies. *is just glad she now has Bones for DB fix*

Yeah, I read somewhere that, when asked, Joss Whedon did say that he intended Angel - at least - to survive the conclusion. And probably Spike, because he has since pitched the idea of a TV Movie about the character (probably written and directed by Tim Minear). I imagine that the Black Thorn-subplot may have been lessened had a sixth season been planned, but it would have been interesting to see where they would have gone afterwards.

I liked Angel because it was *normal* episode. Oftentimes, finales get bogged down in their 'it's the last episode ever' mentality. NYPD Blue's final ep was great for that very reason. You love these characters, and enjoy the notion that life goes on for them after the show ends.

That's good writing.

Star Trek: Enterprise- I liked how they ended with Next Generation, because the rest of the series was a piece of garbage. :p

Star Trek Voyager- Really great finale, it wrapped everything up really well.

Third Watch- They did a really good job with that show, and the ending was still as action-packed as ever. :)

The Fugitive was the best all time, bar none.

I did not like the M*A*S*H finale because it seemed trite.

Star Trek: TNG and Voyager were aweseome. DS9 and Enterprise were anticlimactic.

St. Elsewhere's, Dallas' and Newheart's finales were SURREAL and really kind of bent, but I liked them!

Cheers, Frasier and Just Shoot Me's endings made me sad, because those shows had more life left in them and were killed too soon, IMHO.

Shows I wish would END NOW: All the Law & Order shows, The Simpsons and ER.

Shows that didn't get a satisfactory ending: Firefly, Farscape, Titus, Married... with Children, The Cosby Show, Three's Company and Buck Rodgers.

Back