Grade 'Sex, Lies and Silicone'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 22, 2008.

?

How would you grade Sex, Lies, and Silicone?

1. A+

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. A

35 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. B+

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Everybody loved it huh? I didn't think it was as good as other eps this season, and therefore couldn't bring myself to give it an A.

B+ though.

Liked :D : Stella. Adam. Flack Flack Flack. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid! Haaaaaaaaaaaawkes! Adam and Stella, eyelash. Flack and Stella, damn near looked like Melina was gonna crack up at one point. Flack and Danny. Sid being badass. Hawkes being badass. Mac and Hawkes. Mac and Sinclair in the end.

Kinda Unimpressed :vulcan: : Less than subtle issues of budget cuts and whatnot. NYPD for rentacops, Sinclair walking in on that little rant... 'Every year you ask us to do more with less/and every year you manage to do it.' No, no sense of predictable foreboding there at all. Also the long shadowy walk in the shadowy massive evidence warehouse and shadowy hand taking shadowy thumb drive of shadowy info on shadowy people with shadowy ominous portents of things being revisited down the line. Oh no. I never saw that coming. If it's handled along the lines PerfectAnomoly describes it, it could be really good. A particularly devious villain with shadowy intentions drawn out here and there rather than an 'omigod the labs are at risk hire back all the cops after the team saves the city higher ups' type deal.

Meh's :shifty: : Lindsay. I know everyone's gonna go "OOO! See? Funny! Eh? Eh? Fuuuuuuunny! Ha. Toldaya." Meh I says. The *concept* was funny. The moment was meh. Look at me, I'm remembering my lines and Being Funny and not runnning into a streetlamp or passerby while walking and talking at the same time. Know what would have made me laugh out loud? If it had been Danny instead of Lindsay. Or even Hawkes. I'm not particularly into kapoodles and that's not really my intent, but that would have taken the concept a half step further and made me laugh simply because it was either one of them. Plus I think either would have pulled it off even better. I think Flack should get Monroe for being the one the writers stuck in that scene with her. But see below for the other side of what I did like from Linds.

Grudging Curiosity. Sigh. :shifty: : Lindsay. Out of the lab finally. I thought her better parts in the ep were collecting the doll with Flack from creepo dude's apartment, and her interacting with creepo dude trying to trace how he got it and then convince him to let them take her for tests. That was more well played than the rather forced moment in the street after. Also thought she was better back in the labs with Stella running said tests. (BTW that whole seen of processing the doll was a tad disturbing. Including Adam, much as I adore him). The last I will say on Linds here is that maybe this was a start into/and a way of TPTB trying to retain some of whatever direction they'd originally intended for Monroe this season, a little more fun and lively than last year. I will grudgingly wait and see what else they manage to salvage from their original aims to give her, outside of a bump. Will try to be fair. But it makes me really irritable because her credit's long gone, and the whole pregnancy thing fills me with dread.

Grudging Admittance :) : Sinclair. Was prepared to dislike the whole internal battle between him and Mac. I'm honest in acknowleging that that stems from my general dislike of persecution type storylines, and that's where I thought it might go again. Sinclair and Mac, gotta really and truly give it up and say I was surprised by the low key type ending, and thought it was one of the most human and layered real moments for both of them, and also between them.

Trying too Hard :rolleyes: :
    - Lindsay being funny.

- The show's Lead in. NY has this thing for turning out the lights and having people glow in the dark in festive ways. In subway cars. In shopping carts. In paintball games. On model runways with painted outfits. On stilts. yada. Relax. New York is a cool place already.

Hawkes :thumbsup: : Yay Hawkes, about time you got more than six lines an ep. Also nice to see him kick butt too. Still, somehow a teeny bit disappointed. Wish there was even more depth and time given to him, cos you know Harper Hill could give so much more. Old College Bud drops by, all of a sudden his father's responsable for the scholarship Sheldon was granted to go thru medical school, father was actually a hypocrytical bastard, raised an equally bastard son who simply resorts to beating up old bud because Hawkes isn't a hypocrite? What did the silly f*ck think that would get him? Just a way for Hawkes to then put ex-bud in prison? I never for a moment doubted that Hawkes would just walk away from a guy who tried to pull something like asking him to compromise evidence. There was no real tension there at all, only a moment to illustrate what I already knew of Hawkes' character, even though it was great he had opportunity to show it again. It was fun to learn a bit about his past, what he was apparently like in college, and hints of what his circumstances were as a student. And while I liked the fight scene, holding his own and showing some absolutely kick-ass moves in an extended 3-on-1 throwdown, I was sighing at the same time. That's the meaty development we get for Sheldon? I guess I'm just holding onto Raising Shane and the other paired ep as how much Harper Hill can really shine. Give him more please. Mo' mo' mo'. And damn did the man look good. Even with a shiner.

...Eh Whut??? :cardie: : Mebbe I missed something here. Please tell me what. Hair interwoven in a nylon? Who's nylon? If it was the victim's, this got on her how while snooping in dude's apt. to download files? Or transferred while getting bounced off a mailbox or whatever? Traced to a missing person from Boston who's dead but who's hair was sold to a silicone - 'scuse me - japanese super silicone whatever doll manufacturer in New York? And how did the super silicone get wedged in her bracelet? Did she try to fend him off while he beat her over the head with the doll? I thought I saw the whole ep. Maybe I zoned out momentarily?

Mac :) : Liked him. Answering endless phone calls from paranoid corrupted power officials over a lipstick thumb drive. Liked the interrogation scene with creepo dude. Liked the moment with Sheldon. Again, really liked the ending moment with Sinclair.

Flack/Danny :D : Interrogation with the ex-cop. Can only say it's a good thing dude directed the sister comment at Danny and not Flack, or there may have been another tongue removed. Fun scene. 'WHOA.' Danny and Flack also pulled off some of the best lines. Faves: Danny - 'That's why boys shouldn't play with dolls.' Flack: 'That's why god created warrants.'

Fun fact learned :p : Adam likes redheads.

Indiana Jones: Noted that flavour too. The warehouse, plus the preview for next week. Gee. Wonder if Spielberg's gonna direct. Their writers musta been watching lotsa movies during the strike.

B+ because it was entertaining even if somewhat run of the mill for me, and I liked other eps better. Can't help but say I was soon looking to see the preview for next week's ep.

2. brttmclv

brttmclv Victim

I absolutely loved this!

I love seeing Danny and Don work together. They play off of each other so well, it's amazing. The amused look on Don's face had me crakcing up the entire time, he was loving this. I love their lines and everything. It's always a good time with them two.

Don and Lindsey had a good time too. I loved how she pretended to be his wife and yelled at him. That was priceless! And him promising revenge...lol. I loved it. Anna does good with the funny scenes, on occasion...lol.

I can't even begin to describe how cute Adam was! I swear he has a crush on Stella. It's cute. I learn to love him more and more each episode. AJ never lets me down and pulls Adam off better than I could ever imagine. So glad he's getting bigger parts. PS I'm a redhead so i feel so much closer to Adam now...lol.

Sid, I love Sid. I was rooting for him to catch the guy and hoping he didn't get hurt in the process. I was also cringing when Sheldon was getting attacked, but might I say he can give it as well as he receives it...lol. He scored major brownie points with me last night! :)

But overall I loved it. Danny and Flack moments with Stella and Adam moments stole the whole thing and it was great. Def on of my fave's so far.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A-

Great episode, in large part because Danny and Flack are just fantastic together, and we finally got to see Hawkes given something to chew on! It wasn't much of a dilemma for him, but still, it was nice to see Hill given something to work with, because Hill is awesome.

Danny and Flack need their own episode. They're so funny together and I love how they play off each other so naturally. Their rapport is my favorite one on the show, far and away.

I hate Lindsay's expositions--she talks a mile a minute and doesn't do it nearly as gracefully as Adam does--but I think she's better in the funny scenes than anything else. Her "calling out" of Flack over the doll did make me chuckle, though not nearly as hard as the quips Flack and Danny made.

Adam is so adorkable. I can't imagine he's got a shot with Stella, but who knows? She could use better taste in guys, and Adam is a great guy. And cute, too!

I hated the whole clunky intro of the budget cuts, but I thought the interaction between Mac and Sinclair turned out nicely.

Oh, and...

I really think it's because in the original plan--back when these episodes were filmed, Danny and Lindsay weren't meant to be together. 509 is probably going to come out of total left field, unless they were able to add scenes to the earlier eps, like 507 or 508 to kind of show that Danny and Lindsay are together.

4. brttmclv

brttmclv Victim

I read the review by Kristine for this episode and she asked when they would get their own show...lol. The Danny and Flack show, although highly unlikely, would hands down be one hot and funny show. They really do work soooo well together and I love watching them.

5. csiwendy07

csiwendy07 Dead on Arrival

I loved that scene where Lindsay was teasing Flack with the doll in front of all those people!! My friend and I actually had that idea a few days before that episode came on. Even though they were playing around, and Lindsay belongs to Danny, I still thought something sparked when Flack said "Sorry, my wife's a little crazy". I know nothing between them will ever happen, though! That was a fantastic episode!! Next weeks looks even better! :thumbsup:

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I know! I was like, 'OMG! That wasn't in the spoilers!!' :lol:

Seriously - when I was looking for the actor who was going to play his friend, I wasn't sure which one from IMDb it was. I was hoping it wasn't the really young white guy (who it turned out to be), and there wasn't a picture for another one of the search results (although I think they added one now) - the storyline would have had just as much of an effect if it had been a non-white friend from school. But alas, CSI:NY continues with their emphasis on rich white people.

There is at least one more episode in the first half of the season which will focus a bit on Sheldon and his past (5.12). :) Hopefully there will be even more in the second half of the season. :)

We totally need Tom Hanks to guest-star in an episode and do a scene with Gary and Mykelti. :lol:

No, silly - none of the random people on the street would have bought it, so it wouldn't have been funny. Because there are no gay people in NYC.

;) (Me, sarcastic about the show's lack of diversity? Never! :p)

*rubs hands together* Eeeeexcellent. We will win you all over, fan by fan. Muwhahaha!

Come over to the dark side, we have muffins. :p

Webisodes, CBS. Web-i-sodes. Receive my mindwaves and doooo iiiiiiit. 'Danny and Flack go out for pizza and thwart an art thief on the way', etc. :p

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

You make Lindsay sound like a television set or a parcel of land. She doesn't belong to Danny. And who knows, in season 7 TPTB could have Lindsay and Flack having an affair or eloping in Vegas. :eek: :shifty:, so I don't agree that "nothing between them will ever happen." ;)

8. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i gave the ep an A. i laughed so hard with this ep it was fantastic.

Flack asking the doll what it's sign was haha. i was dying from laughing, Eddie's delievery was spot on. any scene that Flack had with any of the characters was just brilliant, he was on such a roll last night.

i cracked up with the Lindsay and Flack scene. she totally embarrassed the crap outta him lol. i love his response to the whole thing "I'll get you for this Monroe" haha.

i'm just gonna let it out and say how much i love Adam. the more i see of him the more i love the character and AJ Buckley. i liked the little foreshadow with him and Stella, very clever. the doll scene was so funny, he was like such a kid with a toy.

i enjoyed this episode all the way to the end. i liked how it foreshadowed a lot of upcoming things. the best was how goofey and how hilarious it was, i miss the humor in this show glad to see it came back.

9. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I thought it was a pretty damn good episode. However, I found some parts predictable. As soon as that Asshat (also known as Sheldon's friend) made the comment akin to 'do it or else', I was like, 'Hawkes is gonna get beat up later.'

I also knew they'd find the flash drive in the doll's face. Oh, and that the flash drive would get stolen at the end.

I liked the banter in this episode, though. I thought it was really good. Everyone (for the most part) seemed to play very well off of one another, and I really enjoyed it.

I agree with Faylinn, though. We need more manhugs. Also, more Adam with anyone. Hell, give him a piece of Silly Putty. I'd love to see what he comes up with.

All in all, solid episode. And did anyone else notice how quickly Flack peaced it once Sinclair popped in? :lol:

10. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I gave it an A.

And about the Lindsay and Flack scene:

To be completely honest, I had to mute that scene because my mom was talking to me, and I only got the gist, enough to know what it was about. I thought the "A doll?!" was correctly over-acted, but I guess the bit I missed is what everyone's referring to.

The Hawkes thing was great because suddenly I went "Oh, wait, there IS another CSI? I'd forgotten amongst the lack-of-sceenage". And then smiled because there were good scenes.

The Flack and Danny scenes were great. "Danny, silicone!" The cop correcting the science guy. That's part of the reason I cracked up.

11. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

What a fun, offbeat, quirky, amusing ep. Nothing wrong with that once in a while. Although for some reason the ending (not the very end, but the part where they caught the guy) seemed a bit of a letdown. I'm going B+. I wonder who stole the flash drive...

12. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I gave it an A... after the day i've had whcih including crying i needed an episode like that to cheer me up.

Flack gets better every episode I've realised and so does Adam its making it more fun to watch wondering what they will come out with each episode.

I love the flack danny banter its such a perfect couple in that sense they just bounce off each other. And witha case like they had withe the dolls it was perfect for the 2 of them.

Lindsays scene was actually quite funny the way it was delivered did work i think because of the doll.

I'm liking Sinclair for some reason i think its because of his relationship with mac and i enjoyed Gerrard before so its nice they still have someone outside of the team who can rile him up.

Overall was a wicked ep and can't wait to see he continuation and where it leads.

13. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

It's a wonder what happens when it's not All About Mac or the rank, unkempt Drama Llama that keeps leaving steaming piles of Do Not Want everywhere it goes. While Mac was certainly a part of the major narrative arcs set up by this episode, the focus was clearly more on the lab as a unit, and that is as it should be. Mac might be the designated Big Damn Hero of the show, but that doesn't mean I want to be jabbed in the ass with his moral compass every week. I'm sure it will become the Mac and Dindsay show by December sweeps, but right now, less Mac is a good thing.

It was wonderful to see the return of Brigham Sinclair. Mykelti Williamson is a wonderful actor who has the unenviable task of being the bureaucratic speed bump to Mac's chariot of justice, and he tackles the role with grace and nuance. Logic--and TV storytelling--tells us that Mac is right about the boneheaded decision to contract civilians to work security at a crime lab, but Williamson also reminds us of the unpleasant realities of budget shortfalls without behaving like a conscienceless twatmuffin. Like it or not, the city is facing a four billion-dollar shortfall, and everyone, even the infallible Mac Taylor, is going to feel the crunch.

Since I recently railed about the show's lack of continuity, I would be remiss if I didn't applaud them for getting it right. We finally find out what happened to that leaked memo and the sexual harassment lawsuit Sinclair was facing. Anne Steele made it go away. How she did this is never fully disclosed, but one can assume that part of the $25,000 Sinclair paid her was used as hush money. Either that, or Ms. Steele dug up sufficient dirt on Sinclair's accuser to make any legal proceedings far too risky.

What's most interesting about this case is the fate of Anne Steele's flash drive. When last we saw it, it was being removed from its evidence box and passed to an unseen hand. Whose could it be? A nosy tabloid reporter? A mobster? Perhaps Sinclair paid to have it removed in order to destroy evidence of acts far more sinister than possibly playing grabass with an unwilling secretary. Sinclair was awfully keen to get his hands on that drive, and his warning to Mac that its contents would create problems even he couldn't handle hint at darker deeds by far. Whoever stole it, it doesn't bode well for the future of Team Taylor.

The cracky portion of my brain wants to believe it's Gavin Moran, bitter at the destruction of his life and hellbent on proving that the NYPD that discarded him is far more corrupt than he was, but I know better. No doubt it's Baddie Number 563 on the endless list of people Mac Taylor has pissed off.

And huzzah for Sheldon Hawkes. After years of playing fifth fiddle to Mac, Stella, and the DL Trouser Trumpet Twosome, Sheldon gets a star turn, and he runs with it. I was afraid that the race card was going to come into play, but instead, we were treated to an old-fashioned case of entitlement versus hard-working integrity. I whooped and applauded when an angry Hawkes shoved that check for $22,000 into Greg's hand and told him to give it to his father before he was hauled off to jail. The dialogue in that scene was pitch-perfect, with just the right touch of anger and disgust. It's hard to believe that the same staff responsible for the overwrought, unnatural hokum that spews from Mac's and Lindsay's mouth upon occasion can also write such gripping dialogue.

And such humor. Because let's face it, Flack was funny. From his banter with Danny when they return for the "mystery girl", to his hilariously awful flirting at the doll factory, he was spot on. He even saved the scene where he and Lindsay were confiscating the doll from Anna Belknap's earnestly shrill attempts to prove she doesn't owe her continued employment to compromising photos of Les Moonves and an elk in a tutu.

This was a solid episode, but it wasn't without flaws. As much as I love Adam, his sudden infatuation with Stella doesn't ring true. He's worked around Stella for years, and now she makes his winky twitch? Is he so eager to join the lab ficky-ficky pool that he'll jump on the first eligible pair of hooters? Granted, Stella's gorgeous and smart and certainly a great catch, but if he were so smitten, wouldn't he have given signs before now? It's not as though being around Stella is a new phenomenon. And really, trying to touch her eye under the pretense of seeing a loose eyelash? Adam's awkward, but he's not dumb, and even the noobiest noob knows that any unwanted touching of a co-worker, especially a co-worker of the opposite sex, is a Bad Touch that could get you fired or sent to the urban Siberia of Sexual Harassment seminars. Unless the presence of the love doll gave poor Adam a perma-boner, there was no reason for him to behave so oddly. It reeks of retro-writing to underpin yet another hastily-contrived plotline.

Still, it was a very good episode, and I'm interested in the fallout from the stolen flash drive.

A-

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  14. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

Agree about Mac. Goddam he can be ubersanctimonious at times. :rolleyes:

15. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

This ep was actually entertaining.

Loved all of Flack's scenes. He was just too funny. However, I found myself cringing when Lindsay made that exaggerated outburst teasing Flack. :lol: Real Dolls? THat one's just too creepy. Weird what people get obsessed with. :p

Adam was his usual adorkable self. He was just too cute. :D

Yay for Hawkes. Good for him. I'm glad he got himself a compelling story line for once. His character is so underutilized that it's almost criminal how underused he is.

As for the ending, that was a real tease. I hope TPTB continue this story line.