Grade CSI: NY Season Three!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 21, 2007.

1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I gave it an A-, for much of the same reasons as some posters have already mentioned above.

I thought the development of Mac was exremely well done, loved the addition of Peyton, Reed Garrett, and also having Mac step outside his little Comfort Zone Bubble, and surprise us a few times. Egad, He's Human! :D

I also applaud the further development & storylines for some of the other characters, particularly Flack & Hawkes, and I loved that we saw much more of Sid and Adam. (Loved the addition of Angell too, so sad to see her go). Didn't like the direction they took Lindsay, much of her character's storyline this past season appeared (to me) to be poorly conceived & crafted. Although now that her "Deep Dark Secret Past" stuff is done, perhaps they can get her back to the fun, tough, no-nonsense, wholly likable (IMO) young woman we saw very early in S2. That's one of my major hopes for S4. Also didn't enjoy seeing them get D/L together - partly because I see absolutely no romantic heat between them (although I know that's purely subjective) and partly because I don't care for romantic hook-ups between Main Characters, particularly on a show that's not based in romance. That said, I didn't mind The Hook-up Scene nearly as much as I figured I would, but I do hope the writers do some long, hard thinking about this whole thing before they start penning next season...

Finally, a major Hurrah!!! for a truly memorable villian in Shane Casey, I do wish we had seen more of him. Also enjoyed Marlee Matlin & surprisingly, John MacEnroe.

2. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I gave it an A. i think the cases were good, only a few of failures in the script.
    Not bringing to the argumente the end of tha last season(the bombing with Mac and Flack) was a very very big mistake, you can not be well this fast when you had a hole in you.

The lines were good, the one opened in consecuences, that lead the freedom of Dobson was great, even if I though they were going to forget it. Also the murder of the FBI agent in Sweet Sixteen has his continuation in Snow Day, so I guess the scripters are strting to recover from their Alzheimer. Let's just hope they don't forget it during this summer...

3. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

Overall, Season 3, like most other seasons in other shows had it's ups and downs. Some episodes were okay, some were great, others were not that great.

The conflict between Mac and Flack was incredibly well done and added a lot of new dynamics to the show. It's actually entertaining to see two main charachters at major odds with each other especially in terms of the arrest of officer Truby leading to Clay Dobson being freed after five years. I also liked the rivalry between Mac and Deputy Inspector Stanton Gerrard and Sinclair during the fallout from Dobson's suicide after being confronted by Mac on the rooftop.

The worst part about Season 3 was how Stella's HIV-Scare storyline was handled and developed. As I've said I don't know how many times but Stella's chances of HIV infection through the broken glass was extremely low due to exposure to the elements and the virus being outside the body. There have been only 52 cases of HIV infection by this route of transmission amidst 900,000+ needlestick injuries that occur in the U.S. including accidents involving crime scene investigations. While I was celebrating Stella testing negative, looking back on it, I wonder why they fanned such hoopla over the "Story for Stella" including an entire forum on Stella's scare. What a wasted opportunity to create a compelling storyline. Still, it's wonderful she tested negative. I was getting angry and offended at the posts saying that she should test positive even with the knowledge that HIV-positive people live much healthier lives than they did 20+ years ago.

Nothing seemed to be revealed or at least implied about Stella's background or family members. Sure, there's that foster sister but that's almost nothing. I would like to see a "Stella's family" storyline for Season 4 and I don't want it to involved further victimization or declawing of her either. No more Frankies nor disease scares.

Danny's charachter seems to have been declawed to some degree. He has been reduced to a one-and-a-half dimensional charachter though periods of Danny being the roughneck we loved from Season 1 do occur though they can be few and far between.

"Raising Shane", "Past Imperfect", and "Snow Day" were the best episodes of the season.

Overall, I give Season 3 a B. It would've been an A but Stella's HIV storyline, or whatever you call it, weighed down S3 to a B.

4. Messers_cupcake

Messers_cupcake Lab Technician

I gave it a B because...

some cases were boring but some were pretty interesting...
    they had to make Mac too perfect this year but they fortunately changed it in the end...
    i'm disappionted with what they did with Danny. i just don't understand why he couldn't stay old Danny AND be in a relationship...
    Lindsay made me cry too often and it weren't cries of joy...
    i love Stella's scene with Sid in the morgue when she told him about the HIV case but generally this storyline was pointless for me...
    Flack... hmmm nothing to complain. He was fantastic this year!!
    Hawkes... sometimes I forgot he's a part of this team...

5. kimmycarmine

kimmycarmine Victim

A-

well.. again disappointed with messer's role though he was able to play it out nice.. but generally.. cases are really really nice (and gore..) and intriguing.. the twist ( stella having an AIDS issue and all others)

love it when danny and flack work together in a case they really look good as a team ;)

well..all i can say is csi NY is still my fave csi franchise.. hihi :D

6. live4tv

live4tv Civilian

Hmm...haven't been on the boards for awhile, but I would give this season a B.

This show excels in episodes like Raising Shane. Show after show of stunt casting (Someone mentioned Sasha Cohen. Worst.casting.ever.) and contrived 'everyone in Manhattan is a beautiful partier' storylines make me yawn. The moments like Mac and Flack having a confrontation, Danny telling Shane in the car about his brother, THOSE are the moments that make this show and make me keep watching it. When the writers give Danny something useful to do, he's awesome.

Biggest disappointment? The wasted potential of D/L. They HAVE to do something better/more interesting with Anna Belknap. The Lindsay character has some potential, but they keep wasting it on bad puns and terrible storylines for her. Something is just missing there. And the consummation of D/L's relationship was anti-climactic to say the least. Contrived. It could have been hot. Too bad.

Here's to more back stories and continuity next season....

7. Dreary

Dreary Victim

A definite A! I would have made it an A+ but for a couple of things.

I thought that the Danny/Lindsay thing didn't do much good for the series. Or at least, I felt that too much was being put into the Danny/Lindsay situation, thus losing quite a bit of the bad-boy Danny (whom we all know, love and expect) and that wonderful "I'm new, but not stupid, so don't push me around" Lindsay which the series really needs.

While it is expected that some sort of character development is necessary, I thought that the idea of putting these two into a relationship, especially one that appears to be so... slap, bang and there you go, just doesn't really work.

Also, the build up of this relationship seems to have caused a significant loss of the original persona that these two characters appear to have their foundations on. It is a true pity that their 'attitudes' appear to have been traded for 'personal development'. I truly miss that bad a** attitude that Danny shows only a couple of times throughout S3.

That's about all the bones I have to pick. The rest I have to sing are all praises, starting with the excellent background insights that we, as the viewers, have been shown. There's of course Sheldon Hawkes, whose history as an over-compassionate doctor now ME is pretty interesting. I'd love to see how the writers are going to run from there. And there's the tension between Don Flack and Mac Taylor - resulting in quite a number of interesting situations throughout the season. I do enjoy seeing Mac finally playing the political game, although we can be sure that this is all gonna rear its ugly head in the future and bite Mac in the a**.

Something which I noted, although it might be absolutely untrue and I could be just reading too much into it, is the obvious unhappiness that Don has with his superior (I believe it's ex-Captain now Inspector - do correct me if I'm wrong here). Don seems to be so loyal to his boys in the uniform, yet is so protective of the CSIs that he's been working with. I'd really like to see if the writers decide to create this really big rift in the near future, and see which side Don takes. It'll be a real headache for Don I'm sure, but it's bound to make an interesting backdrop for the crime scene in NYC.

The final few things which I thought made this season worthy of an A? More time given to Sid and Adam - which is really nice to see. Stella bringing her feelings into the workplace because of her past experiences - it's good to see that they are human after all and can be wrong sometimes. I wasn't too happy with the Stella-HIV thing, and yes it was a little too unreal, but it does humanise her a little, or so I feel. And last but not least, let's face it. If I may quote a phrase from one of the chats with the actors, 'CSI:NY has one of the most beautiful casts' - that's the final ingredient needed to cement that 'A' for S3 in my eyes.

8. DannyMesser4eva

DannyMesser4eva Civilian

hello im new here eer wot do i do i luv csi i neva miss it yar err so

9. dl_shipper34

dl_shipper34 CSI Level One

A for sure.

This season was really good, though #2 is still my favourite. It had some interesting cases that kept you guessing the whole way, and some that were a little slow. Not once did I find myself bored or wanting the episode to end.

I really enjoyed watching this season, mainly because there was a conclusion to D/L. However, I wasn't too fond of how they handled it. Yes I am a huge fan of the pair/characters/actors but it irked me how it was all played out up to SOOH. After that it was fine, at least for me. I also didn't like Lindsay being depressed. As I've mentioned before, I don't see that as her character. No I don't think she is a weak link and yes I think Anna is a great actress. I just can't vision Lindsay being sad all the time. When she came into the show I viewed her as happy and perky and really enjoyed her bantering with Danny. This season between LRC and SOOH, she was depressed and that bothered me. I was very glad to see her back to her old self post-SOOH.

Though it wasn't my favourite season, #3 was a joy to watch...especially the action-packed finale. Very much looking forward to #4.

10. LadeeBear

LadeeBear Witness

You know, overall, I was pleased with this season. It got an 'A' from me though for various reasons. Let's examine the highlights and - er - pitfalls of s3:

- I love Lindsay's character, I do. I love Anna Belknap. She's a wonderful actress. She has so much emotion and power behind her eyes that you can really feel her pain radiate (especially in 'Love Run Cold' and SooH), but I too miss the old, tough girl Lindsay who tackles suspects and has witty lines. Yes, that was partially due to the fact that Anna was pregnant this year, but I hope that since we're through her whole 'dark past' we can move on and forward into the light.

- D/L. While I support these two wholeheartedly, this season was...different. I noticed little to no flirtatious bantering, which was saddening. I think they were just trying to play up the more serious sides of the two in s3 and didn't focus on the fun sides of them. (Caught a glimpse of that old D/L in 'A Daze of Wine and Roaches', though). I hope s4 brings us back to the fun aspects of the relationship. Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of the DL 'Snow Day' love scene, but that's probably because I am still partial to the end of NWILL as my favorite moment for those two.

- Stella's HIV storyline...I could have done without. Who honestly thought they would make her have HIV?

- I love Peyton, wasn't fond of Angell, LOOOOOVE Sid (my God, who DOESN'T love that man?!), Hawkes was freaking AWESOME in the finale, and Mac was his typical Mac-self this season. I liked seeing his compassionate side with Reed and him and Flack clashing.

- The guest stars...the suicide girls were blegh. I thought that Chriss Angel was the single most amazing guest star this season (although Marlee Matlin comes in at a close second) because he was so creepy and perfect for his role. Sasha Cohen needs to seriously stick to her day job.

- The Shane Casey ark was cool. I really think that brought a lot to the season. The Clay Dobson arc was alright. Joey Lawrence was a pretty good guest star...who knew he could act so creepily as a serial killer?

- Adam's cute. He's especially cute when he's frazzled about something. And it's interesting that he has a backstory too.

Overall, good season. Some things I could have done without (certain guest stars, Stella's dramatic storyline), but overall the cases were really unique (the Greek mythology one in 'Hung Out to Dry' was probably my favorite) and the character development was good.

11. daytimedrama

daytimedrama Dead on Arrival

Well I enjoyed parts of Season 3, the beginning and the end.

I love Anna Belknap and I think she is a necessary component to CSI NY. In the episodes that her scenes were limited or she was gone I thought they really weren't as good. I think this season and the DL storyline suffered because of Anna's maternity leave. I really wonder how the writers would have handled the DL romance if Anna wasn't going on leave. I loved the moments they did have. The hug, and the courtroom were all worth the unnecessary angst. I thought both Carmine and Anna were excellent in Love RUn Cold.
    I personally like Danny's character from Season 2 and 3 much better, the hot headed immature cop does not make for a good long lasting character, I'm really happy to see that there has been development and maturation away from the Danny of Season 1.
    I loved NWILL, Love Run COld, Opedius Hex, Slieght out of Hand, Daze of Wine and Roaches and Snow Day.

Most of the other episodes were forgettable. Stella's HIV thing seemed too pushed, mostly because of the knowhivaids thing. I liked Consequences but did not like the Mac follow up episodes. Also the crossover with Cold Case, totally forgettable. With all that being said the season finale was completely awesome. By far the best season finale of a show that I have seen recently. It totally reignited my love of the show especially since the lead up episodes were not as good.
    I have high hopes for season 4, I am thrilled the DL angst is out of the way, hopefully they will try to limit the drama and instead get back to the fun playful flirting banter that made season 2 so wonderful.

12. Hannah

Hannah Rookie

Season 3 just finished here in NZ...I gave it an A....The only thing stopping it from an A+ was the fact the Danny and Lindsay got together...I am a D/L fan but...lately I've been starting to dislike it if anything.

13. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I gave season 3 a B+. It was really good and the season finale was very intense but I thought there was a few slower episodes in this season than season 2. Other than that it was fab. :)

14. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

I gave the season an A. Overall I loved the season. The highs for me:- Snow Day - Excellent episode for every character. Very nicely done. The Shane Casey two-parter. (See what you can do writers when you pay attention to the storyline.) I loved the introduction of Reed Garret, the scenes with Mac and Reed were excellently handled by both actors. Overall we got some very nice insights into Mac's character this season. The interactions between Mac and Flack throughout the season were wonderful. Plus good continuity right through with this arc, right up to episode 23.

Mac/Peyton I didn't mind as much as I thought I would. I thought it gave us a nice look at how Mac handled moving on from Claire. But in the finale I thought Peyton was annoying and manipulative.

Danny/Lindsay on the other hand, very badly handled and shoved in our faces. I don't think this storyline has done either character any favors, especially Danny. We had good character development in season 1 and 2 then he's reduced to trailing around after Lindsay like a lost puppy. They introduced this to fast with to little development for me to find in the least bit believable. How can they handle one relationship so well and the other so badly.

Lindsay I still dont have a handle on her yet, I have loved her in some scenes with Stella and with Mac (love when she tries out her experiments on him) but on her own or with other characters she doesn't seem to come across as well.

Stella - She had some great scenes this season, and it was nice to see her and Mac working together more this season. I had missed their interaction in season 2. Rambo Stella rocked in Snow Day. The HIV idea wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and gave Melina some great emotional scenes to work with. The Cold Case crossover seemed rushed and a bit pointless with some plot holes you could drive a truck through.

Snow Day its self was excellent, it aired here in the UK last week, the only rant I would have about it is this....there is no way in sodding hell the Mac Taylor we have been presented with since the show began would swan off to London with two of his staff in hospital and the lab in bits. Rant over...

Lows - There were some really badly thought out cases this season I think plot wise season 1 still wins. More real NY people and really strong gritty plot lines.

Wish list for season 4.

Peyton to stay in London.
    Would like to see better more realistic cases with REAL New York people not a parade of the rich and famous.
    More New York rather than CSI anywhere.
    Possibly some more info on Flack.
    Hope Sinclair and Gerrard pop up again.
    I really hope that Reed will be back in season 4.
    Danny to get his balls back and hopefully some info on Louie.

Less romance a little more action please. :D

15. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I loved a majority of season 3. I gave it an A-. Snow Day was quite possibly one of the greatest episodes I've ever seen. I think the storylines were great this season.

I wasn't a big fan of Peyton/Mac relationship. It was cute at first but than I found it annoying. Plus, in Snow Day, I just got really frustrated with her.

I thought Danny/Lindsay was adorable, but I would have preferred it being less obvious.

Stella’s HIV scare was a great storyline. I don’t think she should have been negative, but I’m happy she's negative.

I also liked Lindsay's storyline about her friends and things. I thought it was sad but it made me feel like she was more than the girl Danny was after.

Danny spent too much time going after Lindsay. I wish Aiden was still around to keep him in check.

Sheldon was great. I love how he developed so much more.