Grade '...Comes Around'

I think what was interesting was that what Mac did and what Gerrard did were really along the same lines--neither was entirely innocent, but neither was really guilty of anything but poor judgment, either. I would argue that both had good intentions--Mac to catch a killer, Gerrard to help a fellow officer out and cover up an honest mistake.

Mac is Human!!! I loved it. Mac and Danny together having a moment was great too. Maybe they will bring back Old Danny after all. John McEnroe's alter ego was soooo Woody Allen...ish, he was hilarious. I think TPTB have been reading this forum....'cause hardly any Lindsay again.(Okay, wishful thinking, on my part.) :)

Ceindreadh said:
I would rather Mac have had his name cleared because he really didn't do anything wrong

The problem is, Mac did do something wrong. He violated protocol first by heading off without backup to catch Dobson, and then by putting his gun away. If he'd kept his gun on Dobson until Flack and his team had shown up, Dobson wouldn't have had a chance to jump with handcuffs on. At worst he'd have jumped anyway, but there'd have been no handcuffs and no marks from a struggle.

I completely agree; Mac did violate procedure. I should have been clearer in my post. When I wrote Mac really did nothing wrong I was referring only to the fact that he didn't push Dobson off the roof.

Despite the obvious convenience of having Truby holding a trump card and wanting, no make that über-eager, to help Mac out, I would be lying if I said I didn't like this episode. It made me tachycardic, something that hasn't happened since "Raising Shane". As much as I knew that Mac would get off in the end, trial scenes always make me so tense, and with the lawyer stumping Flack, Danny and Stella, it wasn't that clear to me how Mac would make his troubles disappear. In my opinion, it was Mac's team that really made the episode shine. I liked the scenes when Flack, Danny and Stella were put on the stand,w hen Flack and Danny were playing pool, and when Stella gave counsel to Mac. Those were the scenes that won the episode an A rating from me. I felt that you could really see the bind they were all in, of course, they are loyal to Mac, but, yes, he technically did screw up even if he had noble intentions.

I also thought that Flack's facial expressions were great when Gerrard and Sinclair were trying so hard to butter him up. I think he looked about ready to hurl throughout that whole scene. ;)

The McEnroe case was ok, I thought it was hilarious how pained the real McEnroe looked when the fake McEnroe was talking about what it was like impersonating a celebrity, and when he commented on the nose and the camera took a close up of a very prosthetic nose. :lol:

Overall, great episode. And I was prepared to dislike it, because I was getting tired of the persecution storyline.

The resolution of it did kinda feel like some production manager said "oh crap we only have four minutes left, wrap it up!" but I am glad that the Hearings etc. won't be carried into next season. Hopefully Sinclair and Gerrard will continue to make appearances, but wont' exist as some ominous cloud hanging perpetually overhead. Maybe now we can return to investigating crimes in the city instead of the people investigating the crimes...

MacEnroe was one of the better celebrity guests they've had on the show. His story-line kinda felt tacked on to the main drama of the hearings, but I guess it was good to show the lab continuing to function inspite of everything.

What I liked about this episode was seeing sides to Mac beyond anger and self-righteousness.

Zuiker referred to Mac once as the "moral center of the show," so you know Mac may be portrayed as flawed, but not as completely off the mark or without some elements of justification. The court scenes were pretty harsh and did acknowledge double standards. Mac did get pulled off his high-horse and actually LISTENED to people (Stella, Peyton, and indirectly, Flack).
Were it not for Stella, he would not have decided to play politics at all, preferring to see if his reputation would carry him thru. Were it not for Peyton, he would not have gone to see Truby. Without that he would not have been directed towards useful information about Dobson and Gerrard. With that information he was prepared to follow Flack's advice and testify on his own behalf, if Sinclair and Gerrard had continued to throw him to the wolves.

I loved seeing Flack & Danny behaving like normal people having a life, bitching about work and philosophy etc; I loved how Peyton's part was handled, and that she has things to do as a character besides being a love interest, and the sense of humour she has. (That said, the scenes between her and Mac are always well-done, and I increasingly find I'm a softie/sucker/shipper for them). I liked the moment between her and Hawkes too. Here's hoping Hawkes gets more screen time soon, and that Peyton returns next season.

The best moment of all was the ending with Stella and Mac, when she says, "so it must have been satisfying to see the look on Sinclair's face when he knew you had him..."
And Mac seems be be his old self, saying "Well, I do not take pleasure in other people's discomfort," and then kind of sideways laughs/sniggers into admitting that "yeeeessss it was."

Squeaky-clean Mac is human!!! :cool: Bodes well for next season, and the previews bode REALLY well for the finale (where he is soaking wet if not squeaky-clean)! :devil:

Ooops, Stormymac, that was a typo, sorry. I meant I enjoyed Flack and Danny's moment. I didn't preview my post.

This episode really annoyed me. Mac didn't kill Dobson, yes that much is true but what he did do was break procedure. And it was such a pointlessly useless thing to do as well. Flack was right there! He didn't burst in to find Dobson packing to flee the country, the guy was talking to his secretary with no clue that he'd been busted. Mac could have waited the damn two seconds it would have taken for Flack to come with him.
Mac should have taken it like a man. He should have been reprimanded for breaking procedure. Instead he gets his hands dirty by playing the game. I mean Truby showed more accountability in this episode than Mac did. I would have liked Mac to remain outside all this politics rubbish by just being too 'clean' to touch, instead we have this fiasco. Very very disappointing. Just once I would like a cop show that doesn't paint the brass as crooks just waiting to get re-elected or move up the greasy pole.
Danny and Flack were so cool in this episode though. My respect for Flack has gone up by leaps and bounds. And Hawkes with his 'record'...just goes to show that you can never take the boy out of the man. Peyton convinced me that she is the woman for Mac.
Overall a rather disappointing episode.

what have we learned from this episode? you dont mess with Mac :)

it was really a great episode although Im not that much into the political stuff - I think I like it even less then Mac does.

the court scenes however were really cool, I especially liked Dannys tesimony

another great thing was the Flack/Danny interaction, granted their little chat was rather philosophical it was nice to see their friendship consist of more then teasing coments during cases

I also yet again enjoyed the performance of Claire Forlani. she really interacts well with the cast and with Mac too.

and the casse was interesting too although it was rather predictable

I have a question - when Dobson's lawyer questions danny and the others and/or mac himself, does she bring up his wife's death?

Oh I just wondered. I thought she might use it to try to show he was 'unstable' and 'prone to violece' or something silly like that. I am so dying to see the final eps of the season! Here in the UK we just had episode 16. Can't wait for s4 either!

MacsLady said:
I have a question - when Dobson's lawyer questions danny and the others and/or mac himself, does she bring up his wife's death?

eh, not that I remember. Definitely don't think they went that route at all. It was more internal department related questions (like, "did he or did he not therefore violate procedure" and the like).

I don't think Claire's been mentioned since the last episode with Reed.

Back