Grade '...Comes Around'

Top41

Administrator
Administrator
Premium Member
Mac's in hot water tonight! :eek: What did you think of the ep?

I can't wait for tonight's episode.

Rather than focusing on the McEnroe case like CBS, CTV's promo focused more on Mac's investigation and hearing and it looks seriously awesome.

What goes around, goes around, goes around, comes all the way, back around

Does anyone know if they'll carry on the Stella story from last week or no...

how i loved the way this episode ended...it was nice to see Mac smile..he doesnt smile often enough...politics... :devil:

D- on principal. Not that bad, but it pissed me off:
-Mac gets cleared of everything DESPITE having broken procedure :mad:
-Of course the supervisor had done something wrong :rolleyes:
-The dep't comes off looking bad, even though they were COMPLETELY, 100% correct in doing the hearing
-The whole thing just pissed me off :mad: :mad: :mad:

The B case wasn't so great either (only reason I'm not giving an F is because the scene at the end w/ the 2 McEnroes was pretty funny).

BTW, how did the dude's prints on the belt mean anything?? :confused:

omg....before i get into the actual ep, cani just say that all 3 (yes thats right) of flacks ties actually matched tonight!!

ok ep. i loved it! A+ from me! the fact that mac actually laughed! hehe, and plalyed politic! him and peyton, so sweet together. she plays the tough love scenes so well!

i just loved that scene in the bar between flack and danny! they both had extremely good points about why/why not to do their jobs.

and going back to the breaking of procedure. all the newspaper told us was that mac was cleared of killing dobson. the ep never told us that he wasnt getting punished for not following procedure.

and the B case, hard to give a case enough time given the A case, but i think they did it well. the two macenroes were hilarious, especially the real john macenroe getting pissed off at the other one from behind the 2-way mirror.

I give it a C. Many around here know I'm a huge Mac fan but I did have to wonder about him going into the evidence room or whatever that was, personal effects room...he was already under fire for breech of protocol...what's he call that, and how come there weren't consequinces? I knew some of us would not be particularly happy about this ep's outcome...am pretty sure there's gonna be grumbling as the night goes on.

I agree the McEnroe scene at the end was kinda funny.

BTW...anyone watch "Adam" on Bones tonight? I won't say much here 'cause it's not the place, but did his appearance there have any bearing on his not being on CSI NY tonight, save that brief flashback glimpse? Maybe he wasn't here because he was filming for Bones while they were filming tonight's ep...?

Loved seeing both of the important women in Mac's life - Peyton and Stella - be pillars of strength for him. I doubt he would have made it through this ordeal as well as he did, without their love, trust and support. One more reason why I'd like to see Peyton return next season...

And Danny/Flack out and about, having a few beers and shooting pool/shooting the crap, how fun was that? :D I enjoyed hearing both of their sides of view re: the case, and about their careers in general. Loved every second of their scenes together, it was a long time coming.

Even though Mac knew he was innocent of the actual act of pushing Dobson off the rooftop, it was refreshing to see him experiencing some self doubts and probably some regrets. Nice touch of continuity, bringing Truby in tonight. And if it weren't for Stella's suggestion that he play politics and find an angle to beat Sinclair and Gerrard, I wonder if Mac would have even utilized Truby's information.

And McEnroe's case...I thought it was campy and fun, without being too badly OTT. He actually did a good job in both roles, which surprised me. Loved that they had him truthfully say at the end that he wouldn't have changed a minute of his celebrity. I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. ;)

I can always find something to bitch about in every episode if I really want to bother expending the energy to look hard enough, but this one was good enough, IMO, that I'm not even going to bother trying. I'd rather simply enjoy it. A+.

I wasn't happy with the way they ended Mac's storyline. They should have proved that he didn't throw Dobson off of the roof (with the handcuffs) and then still give him some kind of reprimand for breaking protocol--he said himself that he shouldn't have done that...

I liked Danny and Flack's scenes in this one--there was the friendship that they've been neglecting recently. I liked that Don went to find him at the bar and let him know that he respected the way that he acted. And their conversation was very real. I definitely liked it. :)

I also thought Danny was back to the "old" Danny that some of us have been missing. Carmine acted his scenes very well tonight, and it gives me hope that we'll see more of that in the finale and next season. :D

I also liked the scene with Mac and Peyton. It was very well done, and Gary and Claire acted their roles beautifully there. Subtle, I like it. :)

Sheldon's little thing about having the record for removing the body without damaging the organs (I think it was)? :lol: That was hilarious.

McEnroe did a good job--I thought his scene at the end on both sides of the glass was fantastic, and Flack was just spot-on. :D

Gerrard and Sinclair trying to bully Flack by implying that his job would go down the shitter if he wasn't "loyal" to them? :mad: I hated that.

I can't think of anything else to mention right now, but I'm sure there's more. :p There were some fantastic things in the episode, but I wasn't happy with the resolution of Mac's storyline. :(

BTW...anyone watch "Adam" on Bones tonight?
Yep, AJ was on "Bones." I don't know if that's why he wasn't in this episode, but it could very well be the case. ;) He did a good job on "Bones," by the way (crying!!), but that's for another thread. ;)

I also thought Danny was back to the "old" Danny that some of us have been missing.

Exactly what I thought tonight, too! Yeah, someone must have found a way to reverse that frontal lobotomy...

And you reminded me, I forgot to mention Hawkes' "record". :lol: Too cute!

A+ I loved this episode!!! When TPTB want to, they can be some crafty little things. They had me royally pissed last week, but there was a supreme payoff this week. Last week's promo for this episode made it look like Mac would continue to be the egotistical prick I pegged him for, but boy did they pull off a great deception. :)

The case against Mac was so one sided I actually was thinking, "Damn right!" :mad: when Mac said the investigation wasn't about the department, but about him. The way Gerrard and the other superior came and threatened Flack's job if he didn't cooperate with the obvious railroading really made me sympathetic to Flacks dilemma and impressed with how he handled it. To have both Stella and Peyton talk to Mac and tell him he'd have to play the game in order to clear himself was wonderful. I thought both scenes were terrifically done. Mac taking what his co-worker of ten years and love interest had to say to heart showed a side of Mac we haven't seen much of at all. And the way he stuck it to the superiors was fantastic, as well as his line about the game being enjoyable. ;) :devil: I also liked how they had Truby be instrumental in getting Mac cleared. I think if Mac or anyone else on the team is called into question in the future, Mac will react differently. At least I hope so.

We got to see that Danny, and TPTB, remember the "real" Danny when he said he'd have walked out of the hearing also. Then the chick asked if he could read the highlighted part of the autopsy report. When Danny said "yes" and then started reading to himself I laughed out loud and snorted sparkling water up my nose. It was absolutely classic. :lol: I thought I saw a moment when Danny was asked about how he felt about Mac coming down on him for breaking protocol and then breaking it himself. Danny seemed to be somewhat struck by the comment, yet unwilling to say anything damaging to Mac. Maybe I made that part up in my head? :rolleyes: I’m not sure. :confused: It was great seeing Danny and Flack at the bar talking it all out. Although, when Danny made the comment about "living paycheck to paycheck" I was thinking, "well then, Messer, why don't you sell the plasma TV, pool table, motorcycle and fancy art you have in your insanely large 'apartment'?!" :lol: :p

The McEnroe case was kinda "meh." Not great but not horrible either. Lindsay was again minimal, but I would have loved to have seen more Hawkes. I did like the little exchange between him and Peyton about his "record," however. Finally, is it weird that I thought McEnroe did a better job playing the fake McEnroe than he did playing himself? :D

Although some of what happened with the hearing and its outcome were a bit over the top, for me it fit well into the “dramatic license” TV shows often take with storylines. I have to say this episode lifted my spirits and I am looking forward to the finale. I hope TPTB aren’t just toying with my emotions. :eek:

Oh, my God. That was the oogiest episode of CSI:NY I have ever seen. Let me get this straight: Mr. "Every cop deserves to be held accountable" is willing to stay quiet about police misconduct to save his own career and skate on misconduct charges? Gag me. I'm disgusted. Mac Taylor has lost all moral credibility with me. Period.

That Gerrard covered up a lapse in procedure is reprehensible, but I'm disappointed that he turned out to be a one-dimensional villain, after all. Until tonight, he'd been a well-balanced adversary, sympathetic and logical in spite of his ass of granite. I can only assume the resolution was cobbled together to vindicate Mac and tie up a complicated story arc in the allotted time. It deserved a better sendoff, or even better, a continuance into next season. Mac trying his hand at the political game would be fascinating to watch. Once again, the writers took the easy, illogical way out.

I feel for Flack, honestly. The second half of the season could be subtitled The Education of Don Flack, Jr. He's lost a lot of his innocence and idealism this year, and it hasn't been pleasant. Dirty subordinates and dirtier superiors, and I suspect he'd be crushed to learn that his former captain is a dirtbag. He clearly admired Gerrard, and I think the admiration was mutual. Gerrard had likely taken Flack under his wing and might have been grooming him as his preferred successor. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Gerrard and Flack Sr. were partners at one time.

The scene with Flack and Danny in the bar was a rare glimpse into their personal lives, and I loved the easy, macho banter. "Serious meatballs"? Flack, I love you. So much.

I was amused to hear Danny pontificating on "livin' from paycheck to paycheck", particularly since his apartment has a pool table and a plasma TV. Either Messer is on the grift, or we have very different ideas about living from hand-to-mouth. They way he talked, you'd think his bed came out of the wall. Just like his ironing board.

Timeline question: Is it possible that Gerrard could go from lieutenant to captain to deputy inspector in five years? How long was he Flack's captain? Flack had just been promoted to detective in 2001, and according to this timeline, Gerrard was a lieutenant. Were the promotions concurrent?

Sinclair called Flack a detective, third grade, but spoilers for the finale have him offering himself yo hostage takers as a detective, second grade. Did he get promoted between episodes, or have the howler monkeys in charge of the typewriters smeared poo on the paper and called it good again?

Truby was the most fascinating part of the episode for me, and I wish that scene had been longer. In a sense, he was the anti-Mac. He accepted responsibility for his crimes and their subsequent repercussions and offered atonement. My only regret is that he was an obvious deus ex machina to rescue Mac from certain doom. Bleagh.

The B case made no sense and should've been scrapped. Did they ever explain how the fiancee's tiara ended up in the bathroom? No. In fact, aside from DNA, there was no science whatsoever. Boring and forgettable.

B overall, but F for taking the easy way out and turning potentially fascinating characters in Snidely Whiplashes in blue and brass.

I've got to give this one an A.

Yes, the "out" for Mac was a little too easy and yes, it was a shame to see Sinclair and Gerrard were actually trying to take down Mac for a bit of good publicity. I would have preferred to see their motives be a bit murkier, though I don't think either is a simple cardboard villain. I think Gerrard honestly believed what he was doing and has been doing is right--he comes from a different generation, and La Guera, I could definitely see him having worked with Flack, Sr. That would make for a great storyline.

As for Mac--well, he didn't conduct himself perfectly on that roof, and what Gerrard did with the belt wasn't completely kosher either, but neither man deserved to lose his job for it. If anything, Mac's political angling showed that they've all crossed the line in some way or another at some point. There's one side of the line (the good one, the one Mac & co. are on 99% of the time), there's the other (Truby's side, baaaad, really bad) and then there's some grey area. If anything, I think that's something Mac has learned from this whole experience. No one's perfect.

Danny's speech underscored that. These guys give a lot to do their jobs, and they don't get much in the way of thanks. And if they're not perfect all the time, well, who is? I like a little moral ambiguity.

I also must humbly thank the writers for Danny and Flack's little man-date. Seriously beyond cute. I love how Flack is always the one who can bring Danny back from his little freak outs.

I would have liked to see Danny storm out of the courtroom, rather than hear about it. The reading to himself was cute. Danny still seems a little cowed to me, but more like his old self in this episode than in almost any other (save for "Raising Shane") this season.

And, I'm sorry, but Danny and Flack sneaking looks at each other while questioning the blood thief was beyond cute. :D

I loved the scene with Mac and Peyton in the diner, and how it went hand-in-hand with the Danny/Flack scene in the bar. Peyton really is a sharp character, and I liked her advice to Mac to go see Truby.

We should have seen more of Truby because while he defied my expectations, I wanted to know why he had a change of heart.

McEnroe was hilarious, absolutely hilarious. I like a man who can make fun of himself--props to him for having fun with the episode!

Flack was awesome--always is and always will be. I love how he's the voice of reason in the show.

This sounds like a fabulous episode and I know it's going to be hard to say away from scenes and screen caps one they start apearing! *prays they appear really soon*

Great episode last night. :D

Loved Danny & Flack's scene together. And I agree Danny is acting more like himself.

Wonder if that has anything to do with the absence of Lindsey.

McEnroe was great. He was funny, and much better then I expected.

Mac was great in this episode as well. I think it may have been a little out of character for him to practially blackmail someone to save his own *ss, but what happened at the original arrest wasn't that big a deal because they stopped Dpbson in time.

Great episode last night. :D

Back