Grade 'Blacklist'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 30, 2009.

?

How would you grade Blacklist?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. B

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. C+

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

CandyCoroner,
    Even in America this is not possible. With 8 years pure police service without study and police school. Then still at least since 2004 as the series began with the CSI lsa head. And I hold a study of 4 semesters for impossible. He must study medicine, law, math, physics and still other things to become a scientist. Then there comes still a longer internship.
    I do not understand what in his real age is to be put out.

2. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

Meh, I'm an obsessed nerd with too much time on my hands, I tend to think things like this out :lol:.

Okay, didn't think about the college aspect of it. I was assuming that it was only a four year degree, but from what I've read it would take longer than that.

3. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I'm back to add another thing:

The lack of Danny/Flack is bothering me since the season started. It seems strange that after working together in almost every episode of S5, they haven't shared a scene yet. And while I enjoyed Angell's flashbacks from the episode, I thought that the writers lost an opportunity to show how things are not back to normal by having a little interaction or a flashback with Danny. After all he was shot just like Jess, and we know that Flack cares deeply about Danny --not that deeply, get your minds out of the gutter :lol::lol:. Seeing your best friend shot and lying in a pool of blood just after your girlfriend has been shot to death has to be traumatic to say the least.

That's just another example of DIY writing, just like Danny's "Born on the 4th of July" look, or Stella/Adam: we see the consequences but we don't see the actions and the feelings behind, this is left to our imagination. I agree that maybe Flack is avoiding Danny because the pain is still too raw and seeing him will remind Flack of the shooting and would only make things worse, but if the writers are going to continue with this "tell-but-not-show" strategy and they want us to fill in the blanks and accept that a lot is happening offscreen, you can bet I'm not going to be happy. I know that I'm a little bit impatient but if

Danny is going to be out of the chair soon, it will be a big mistake to waste the potential of that storyline. Until now, we only know that Danny isn't too optimistic, but he's trying to be his old self. I stopped reading spoilers after "Epilogue" so I don't know if the writers have changed their minds about Danny walking so soon, but I was so excited to see how it would work out that so far I'm losing hope.

Completely agreed. I don't think that Stella would ask Lindsay and not Danny. So what if she's his wife? Stella and Danny have known each other for years and it's nothing too personal or something that could bother Lindsay. I don't see any logical reason why she isn't reaching to him.

At first I thought that too but it definitely seems a women's fitted tee. I know Danny likes to wear his shirts as tight as possible, but I doubt he could squeeze into that one. :lol:

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Whenever my little sister and I go into Hot Topic (she's 15 and that's her kinda place), I always pay attention to the shirts with the prettiest colors or designs - regardless of the band the shirt is for. She gets quite annoyed with me. :p Part of the reason she gets annoyed is that there are a lot of people who wear band shirts but couldn't tell you the first thing about the band in question (this is especially true with 'cool' bands). Not that I think this is the case with Lindsay, especially since I wouldn't call Whitesnake a 'cool' band, but a lot of people wear band shirts these days. It was probably just a random choice by a writer who didn't really care either way whether Lindsay would logically (or believably) be a fan. *shrug* (Not that you have to seem like a fan of something to be a fan of said thing, but I digress.)

Sorry, love, but I can't get my mind out of the gutter. :D It's quite happy to live down there. Mwuahahaha! :devil:

*cough*

5. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Thank you! I knew I remembered that T-shirt being pretty small even on Lindsay herself...unless Danny bought it when he was like, eight years old, I can't see how he would've ever fit into it.

Also, if Lindsay were going to borrow one of Danny's shirts to wear anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to borrow a more professional-looking one, especially to wear to work?

I've never been in Hot Topic myself (don't know if they have them in Canada or not) so I can only speak for my own experience; but in the teen stores around my area, even ones like Ardene or Garage, it's rare to impossible to find even a popular-band shirt...I've only ever seen and gotten my band shirts at specialty stores (or on two occasions, at the concerts of said band). But yeah, it most likely was a writer/producer choice as opposed to a character one...but when they decided to add commentary on the shirt from Hawkes, I think they made it a character choice, whether they meant to or not. They could've let it go unmentioned, or just had Hawkes comment on the fact that Lindsay was really dressing down that day, which is how she responded to the comment anyway. I didn't even realize that Whitesnake was a band until I heard Hawkes' comment on the second re-watch of this episode. :lol:

Meh. My working theory is that Lindsay's either a closet fan, or she got the shirt from a friend.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I just googled Whitesnake and found a couple of videos on youtube and they looked like the average 80's band with waaaay too much hair and long coats and knee-to-thigh high boots. I don't know why it's such a stretch to imagine that Lindsay would have liked them back then. If she's supposed to be in her early to middle 30's now she would have been in her early to middle teens in 1985-1987 and I can see a young girl drooling over a band like them, especially if she has been a goody two-shoes like everyone thinks Lindsay was (and still is). They might have been the perfect sexy badboys of her dreams and if so, that's probably why she kept the shirt.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Like Fay's, my mind is in the gutter, too. :p ;) It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Flack proclaimed his love for Danny one day. But I agree--I can't imagine Danny being shot didn't have an effect on Flack, too. I think it did--Flack basically mentioned in "Epilogue" that it was Danny who brought him back to work. I think Flack is hovering but keeping his distance at the same time--I imagine he's carrying guilt for not being able to save Danny from being shot in the same way he's probably carrying guilt from not being able to save Angell. And while Flack didn't shoot the guy who shot Danny--he didn't do anything to stop Jake from doing it. ;)

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

OMG, I read this and decided to check out their 'Is this love' video just for recollection purposes - I'm not sure I'll ever be the same again. 20 years on things that were once 'cool' now seem ridiculous :lol:. I have to say though that at the time Whitesnake definitely struck me as being very mainstream, there wasn't really anything different about them. And yes, very typical of a band who would attract many teenage girls (although personally I was way more into Duran Duran). I think they were considered cool in their early days (70's) but got caught up in the whole glam rock thing of the 80's and kind of lost their coolness. :)

9. Top41

Hey! Glam rock was cool in the 80s, says the GNR/Skid Row/Poison fan. :lol: :p It's kind of retro-cool now. I cannot see Lindsay ever at any stage in her life being cool. You know she was the teacher's pet type who sat in the front of the class and did all the extra credit assignments. Those girls generally didn't like Whitesnake.

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I definitely wouldn't strike anyone as a metal, or glam rock or pop metal or whatever other label people put on bands like Whitesnake, Skid Row, et al fan. I got good grades in school, did extra credit, was quiet and a total "goody-goody." But I owned all of their albums, saw Skid Row open up for Bon Jovi in concert when I was 19 and wore the concert t-shirt proudly. All of my older brother's friends were like, "HAHAHA, your little sister saw Skid Row in concert/has the t-shirt and you didn't/don't. HAHAHA WTF??"

Lindsay could have definitely been a fan even if she was the nerdy, teacher's pet type.

OT:

P.S. DURAN DURAN 4 EVAH!!! I was completely mental over them from age 12 -13 all through high school. I never saw them in concert until I met someone in college who was even more mental over them than I was and needed someone to go to their show with her. Good Times.

11. Top41

Yeah, I guess I can see that--I got good grades in school and loved all those groups, too. I guess it's that Lindsay has always struck me as too prissy and uptight to rock out.

12. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree that she gives off that impression. It's hard to imagine her listening to anything that was once "in" with the young'uns.

But I remember sitting next to one of the "cool" girls in high school in Algebra class and having her laugh her ass off (not in a bad way but in an "OMFG, I would never have guessed that!" way) when she found out I was a fan of that type of music.

So I can see her being the type of person where everyone goes :wtf: :eek: :guffaw: when they find out she's a fan.

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Of course it was :thumbsup:. I am really in no position to judge :lol:.

While I totally agree with your perception of Lindsay at school, I do see a certain depth to her and suspect she may have had hidden levels of coolness outside of social institutionalism. Admittedly that's kind of a 'cop out cool' but I really can see Lindsay as someone who conformed to expectations but then rebelled quietly. Maybe her Whitesnake fetish was nurtured behind closed doors with a ghetto blaster snuck under her bed and the 't' shirt worn inside out or hidden beneath layers of gingham. :)

I agree. And yes, New Romantics rule!! :p My poor old Dad had to chauffer me and my friend to and from Wembley Arena no less than 3 times back in the day. I just adored John Taylor *sigh*!

14. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Some CSI trivia: I remember an episode from Miami where Whitesnake was referenced. It was the high school reunion episode and a CD of the band was listed in their time capsule. Someone at CSI is a fan of Whitesnake :)

It was definitely very mainstream, at least where I grew up.

Well, to be more precise, glam rock is from the 70s and glam metal from the 80s. I'm not that old but my father used to made me listen to 60s and 70s music all day, so I grew up being a fan.

As a child of the 80s I loved EVERY SINGLE BAND that was popular: glam metal, hair bands, AOR, you name it. And so did all my classmates, cool kids or not. It was just the music you heard at the radio and as I said, Whitesnake was very popular back then, so it wasn't really a cool choice. Heavy metal wasn't linked to a certain group of people as it was later.

Lindsay doesn't struck me as a cool kid, but she probably listened to popular music when she was a kid, so it's possible that Whitesnake brings back good memories.

I hate you :lol: Was it in the 80s? I wish I had seen Bon Jovi in concert in the 80s.

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I have to say, I was the 90s version of the teacher's pet type who was into the bands like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, etc (I'm guessing Whitesnake might've been the 80s version of these kinds of bands)...:lol: Seriously, I used to get the weirdest looks when kids from school would see my room. So I totally get if Lindsay was a closet fan. I don't think the type of person you are can exactly define what kind of music you'd like, or would have liked at some stage in your life.