Votes: 2 4.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • D-

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I realized I graded this without commenting... B.

I pegged Nick as the killer the first time I saw him, too. There was just something about him. Or, maybe I've been watching way too many of these shows that not much surprises me anymore... :lol:

I'm going to ignore Danny's story line and just say that I love the banter between him and Adam in this episode, as well as him and Flack.

Speaking of Flack, I love that even though you can tell things aren't right with him, he was throwing a little more snark in there. It felt awesome, and that's why I'm amazed at how well this story line is being handled. :D

And, Adam. Oh, Adam. You're so adorable. :D I love him. :D

I didn't even notice Lindsay wasn't there. :lol:

I missed Sid, though. :(

I'm in the 18-34 demographic, and I still thought it was a little too much with the dancing. :p

Decent episode. :)

Hello,

Although I saw more Stella in this episode which is good for me and Adam was great.. I didn't like it, was nothing appealing to me, case weak with a twist and nothing more.
I gave it a C- sorry, but that's my point of view... I need to like the cases to give it a good grade :)

That's how I feel about it as well - there's a pretty large cast, so if someone can be more prominent by removing another character from the equation, everyone can benefit by leaving someone out here and there. Getting rid of [Character A] for an episode doesn't really bother me if it means [Character B] might get a bit more focus in his/her absence - and then [Character A] can potentially benefit later on when another character is out of the picture during an episode. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar throughout the season.
Agreed. And now that they seem to be doing more of the single case episodes, it seems even more critical that they find a way to balance screen time so that all the characters get their fair share but not necessarily through being in every episode.

This may be a minority view, but I thought the character work was stronger (and the characters seemed deeper) when they had a smaller core group -- 4 CSI's, 1 detective, 1 ME -- and used various recurring characters as needed depending on the type of cases in a particular episode. Now they have 5 CSI's, 1 detective, 1 ME, 1 lab tech, and a new recurring lab tech, and it just seems too much for a single case in one episode. And I think that's one reason some of the character interactions tend to come off as superficial these days.

And we are majorly overdue for a Sid-centric episode!
Poor Sid. I don't know what may be going on behind the scenes with the character, but I think Sid suffers at times because of some redundancy between his and Hawkes' roles. Sometimes Hawkes gets to give medical or COD details, especially at the crime scene, and that doesn't leave much for Sid to do unless there's an extended autopsy or morgue scene. Another issue of being able to properly balance the characters.

Liked the dancing.

Thought it was stupid that they brought the supposed attacker into the hospital room for the girl to ID him. Really? They couldn't bring in a snap shot? They had to potentially traumatize the girl even more and possibly put her in more danger.

I suspected that the friend was the killer as soon as they showed him in the hospital room when he got all defensive and asking questions right away.

Didn't buy the killer's story. Okay...this guy was your best friend and you shot him. So, you bash his girlfriend in the head and then just leave her to die? You don't call for help or anything. Stupid, stupid stupid. It just didn't make any sense.

Even though there were things I didn't care for...I thought the episode was pretty much enjoyable. :)

Last edited:
i gave it an A just because it had some Danny and Flack scenes... and boy did i miss them in the other episodes... the dancing was alright... the case... predictable with the killer... but not so much with the reasoning.

I think I laughed out loud when he said "if I wanna kill anybody I'll do it in the ring." *SNORT* I'm sure that will fly in real life! I can just picture him trying to bust a move while some brute busts a cap in his ass.

I'm not sure if you're being saracastic or not, so I'll bite. He was being metaphorical. He meant that he would destroy them by being a better dancer. Of course, you mileage may vary on that particular point.

It wasn't a metaphor, he was actually (and this is the funny part) being literal in suggesting that he'd dance all opposition into submission somehow. Rather than fight a real fight. I was just pointing out the douchery in a statement like that. I get it, he's a hardcore dancer, bristling with hip, youthful, trendiness, but as a graphic designer I don't walk around suggesting that if I have a problem with someone I'll school them with my mad inDesign skills... At least not without proving some level of delusion on my part. The line comes off sounding like it was written by a middle aged man trying to impress his 14yr old daughter is what I was pointing out. Bad writing makes me grit my teeth so my dentist recommends I don't over-expose myself to it.
Top41 said:
What really struck me, though, is how well this episode flowed and how well the team worked together without the presesnce of either Lindsay or Haylen. Mary Sue and Mary Sue 2.0 do nothing but bring this show down. At the very least I can say they add absolutely nothing to the team dynamic. This episode felt almost complete even though they were missing. I can't say it was complete because Sid wasn't there and I missed him. It was refreshing not to have Lindsay or Haylen even mentioned in this episode especially since Lindsay and Danny have been joined at the hip since the premiere and since TPTB seem to want everyone to believe how awesomesauce Haylen is.

People may wonder why I'd bother to mention them since they weren't even in the episode, but the fact that I find the show to be better without them and don't miss them at all when they're absent is significant to me and worth mentioning.

Agreed, completely. I'm still curious to see where Haylen is going to go as a character, but I didn't miss her in the slightest. But an episode without Lindsay was a nice treat. I agree about missing Sid, too!

Echoing this wholeheartedly. While I haven't solidified my feelings towards Haylen one way or the other I have a hard time figuring out why they felt they needed her to begin with. The show already has at least one obsolete character, why are they bringing in more especially after we were just last season told Emmanuelle Vaugier was canned due to budget cuts? That's not how a budget works as far as I've come to understand. :confused:

Last edited:
I thought this was an excellent episode and would grade it at A+

This will also be my final post on the CSI:NY forum - It seems that it's not possible for the "get rid of Lindsey/Anna" debates to be confined to one thread (where I can avoid them) I am sadly just so tired of reading it.

Good luck to you all.

Z

I thought this was an excellent episode and would grade it at A+

This will also be my final post on the CSI:NY forum - It seems that it's not possible for the "get rid of Lindsey/Anna" debates to be confined to one thread (where I can avoid them) I am sadly just so tired of reading it.

Good luck to you all.

Z

I'm with you Zipster. I'm sick of this "get rid of Lindsay/Anna" rhetoric. I like Anna and I like her character Lindsay. It's the Danny/Lindsay ship I have issues with...but that's another thread. Unlike you, however, this will NOT be my last post on the CSI: NY part of the Talk CSI forum. However, it might be one of my last CSI: NY related posts if season 6 doesn't pick up. So far, season 8 of CSI: Miami has blown me away and swept me off my feet while season 6 of CSI: NY has barely slapped me on the wrist. Like I said in my last post in this thread "This episode was better than the last 3." It still wasn't good enough to make it past a grade of C, which is what I gave it. And I haven't changed my mind about it deserving a C. I've just changed my mind about which C grade I think it deserves. I now think I should've gave it a C- instead.

Last edited:
gave the ep ma B-

i feel like we're going back to last season where the eps were boring and uneventful but had some great moments. i'd rather an ep be good all around then just have moments where it's good.

i can barely remember what happened. i had the killer pegged the moment i saw him. i really hate crime stories that are accidents that grinds my gears. i understand murders can be done my accident but they bother me. i just have to ask why the guy would leave bullets in the gun if the whole thing was supposed to be fake? i know that he couldn't have possibly known he was gonna get killed but seriously that's careleess to me.

Adam is love. his "adamross.edu" comment was hysterical he gets better and better.

Danny walking with a cane haha. he looked like an old italian guido walking around haha (i'm italian too, no offense about the guido comment). whoever said he looked like House that was a GREAT comment haha.

hey no Lindsay. Lindsay fan here but i wasn't mad she wasn't in the ep. it was a good break b/c i know more kind of annoying D/L scenes are going to be popping up through out the year.

so basically can't remember much of the ep b/c it bored me to no end. the outcome wasn't a big surprise and the whole thing moved too slow.

Agreed. And now that they seem to be doing more of the single case episodes, it seems even more critical that they find a way to balance screen time so that all the characters get their fair share but not necessarily through being in every episode.

This may be a minority view, but I thought the character work was stronger (and the characters seemed deeper) when they had a smaller core group -- 4 CSI's, 1 detective, 1 ME -- and used various recurring characters as needed depending on the type of cases in a particular episode. Now they have 5 CSI's, 1 detective, 1 ME, 1 lab tech, and a new recurring lab tech, and it just seems too much for a single case in one episode. And I think that's one reason some of the character interactions tend to come off as superficial these days.
I absolutely agree. We´re just having a re-run of S2 here on TV, so I can directly compare the "old" team work to this current team and to me it´s obvious that there was more space for each character and therefore a stronger character work than now. Someone here mentioned a "crowded lab" and I agree with that; there are too many characters to deal with now, but the screen time is still the same, so TPTB have to try and pack all the stories into the show. Maybe that´s why they left Adam out last week and this week Sid and Lindsay.
Don´t get me wrong, I like Sid and I love Adam to bits, and I have nothing against Lindsay, I´m not saying these characters should have never been added to the show. But for just a single case in an episode they´re too many people in the lab now. Thankfully Haylen wasn´t there this time and won´t be in the next few epis. And I only hope she´ll never become a regular- enough is enough now.

Oh, and as for this episode: I grade it B; it was good, but not too brilliant. My impression is that TPTB concentrate very much on the character stuff, where they do actually excel, but in terms of the cases they´ve failed already quite a few times.

Would you consider Peyton and Angell as recurring characters?

If not, then Seasons three and four worked perfectly fine with 5 CSI's, 1 detective, 2 ME's 1 lab tech and 5 CSI's 2 detectives 1 ME and 1 lab tech respectively.

The problem this season is that the episode either focuses on the case or on personal issues. And more recently, it's been personal issues. Yes learning about Flack's downfall or Danny's recovery has been interesting, but some of that time could have been used to flesh out the case better.

So, Danny's walking again. Big whoop. They blew the storyline the minute they chose to cram the recovery into five episodes. As much as I cringe every time Danny gets his bruised Bronx rose britches on and yowls about how the world has wronged his tortured soul, his recovery should've stretched for most of the season. One rage-inducing whingefest at the rehab center is not enough to illustrate what a soul-crushing, terrifying, emotionally-draining, and painful process rehabilitation can be. I can't get on board with a storyline that disregards the uglier aspects of injury and implies that all one needs to overcome possible paralysis is a good talking-to and a little backbone. It's insulting and a gross disservice to people who've struggled for months and years to achieve the most basic of independence. Show me Danny trying to do something for himself and falling out of his chair. Show himtrying to complete exercises and begging the therapist to let him rest. Show him arguing with the doctor about his regimen. Show him hurting. Otherwise, the achievement has no impact for the viewers. He was crippled, but with nothing but the power of his brain, he willed himself better. How fabulous. Who cares?

I couldn't agree with this more. Granted, I love whiny, tortured, yowling Danny, but no matter what, it feels like it's a waste of a story. Why set it up as so dire--a 10% chance he'll walk again--only to have him walking four episodes later? What's the point? I admit, I was thrilled when I heard about the storyline because of how emotional and fragile Danny is. I wanted to see him struggle, and whine and be a mess. So I feel short-changed.

yeah, i also agree with this, i think they've handled the whole storyline spectacularly badly - it's gone beyond the realms of unrealistic and into disney, which is just :rolleyes::confused::scream:

as for the balance of characters/cases - i quite like the 2 case format because it allows more character work in terms of interactions being switched every so often, so you get to see each person interact with each other person. i think the 1 case thing is fine when it's a really big case, a serial killer or something like snow day or epilogue or whatever, and i do really like getting to see more of the characters themselves rather than just the characters "at work", but i think there needs to be more of a balance and at the moment it's not quite right. i really enjoyed the latest ep, but i agree that the case was a bit too stretched out. i loved the character moments but i think they could've worked just as well with another case to pad things out a bit.

I find myself playing catch-up again :p. Nearly too far gone to be worth posting, but what the hey.

It was the most even, seamless ep of the season so far, where the others have been far more extreme in their ups and downs. It wasn't particularly flashy or showy, even w/ the dancing, but it didn't overdose on ubertech flashiness either. It didn't have the most driven scintillating plot, but it was a reasonably solid ep.

It was a good Stella episode. I liked that it was personal for her because of an affinity she developed for the girl, and not because it was somehow linked to a part of her past or some personal issue. Was kinda refreshing in that sense.

I thought the guest cast were solid too, and that the sleazoid perp was very well played. It was hugely satisfying to see him go down in the end.

I noticed Lindsay's absence early on, and until about halfway thru expected her to pop out of a corner to spoil things :p, I was eventually able to shunt that suspicsion aside to just watch the show. I now kinda wonder if having so much uber-Lindsay crammed into Dead Reckoning was to make up for her absence here. While it was a nice break, I could do without the previous overload, and would just perfer some sort of balance was found with her character, if she's gonna continue to be a main cast member, instead of the pendulum we've been subjected to with how she's been written and portrayed. I guess my main point was Lindsay in Dead Reckoning was just too damned much, and I didn't miss her at all in Battle Scars.

I'm sorry to say more generally that Danny's verve and get-go really has seemed to have got up and gone walkabout. I await it's return. Still. Forever and still. Disappointing how a really massive opportunity for his character has all but dissipated, even if the hype in my case was a little self-induced - I was expecting more and better, for a central character on the show, and a major twizt tossed his way. For what we've got, I'd have rather seen that opportunity given to someone else. In some ways, it does feel like it was all but contrived as way to make Lindsay more palatable, at least in theory, in her support for him while still being a kick-ass CSI and super mom. It has otherwise been a hugely predictable arc, and yet I somehow still expected that more would be given to Carmine to do with it. The contrast between Flack and Messer's arcs is huge and perplexing. I guess I just had hidden, nurtured hopes of a return of a re-charged Messer. Mebbe that too will come this season, but week after week, and the more weeks that go by, the more I hate falling back onto that hollow kind of optimism.

Been more 'n a week, and so details are fast fading.

I liked Don, liked Stella, I'm waiting, oh waiting, for Hawkes to get more to do than what he's been getting, though he's solid and consistent week to week. Didn't mind Mac. The SIM round info was interesting, and Mac's weapon expertise provides a bit of a fun layer to scenarios as well as being in character, and did so while serving the plot and not some soap box or ego kick.

What else. A kind of weak turn of plot from the catalyzing premise, but not a bad ep; Nick wasn't hard to spot, though the motive wasn't as easy to peg. They had a really, really good, believable scumbag. I liked confident and more extroverted Adam, and that his apparent insecurity, with regards his job or with the others, has levelled out. I did miss Sid. Didn't miss Lindsay or Haylen at all. Wouldn't mind if their airtime was divvied up amongst the rest, nor if it were alloted to a tad more pithy plot development. Facebook was a funny moment in passing, of the sort NY does well. The momentum was kinda low key but even, w/o the extremes and short-circuited resolution some of the earlier eps had this season. This is the closest the show's been to finding itself back on a more engaging path. If they could just kick it into gear a a little more.

Didn't have much to say about this one. Was better. Hope it's a sign of things improving.

B-. Highest grade of the season.

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to why Sid and Lindsay weren't even mentioned.....did they both take a sabbatical together? Go to a conference? Babysitting Lucy at the Messers House?:confused:

I don't mind Haylen not being mentioned considering she was suppose to be part-time and a newbie who's not even officially on the team. But both Sid and Lindsay (even if people don't like her) are considered family and very much a part of the team, so it always bugs me when a team member gets left out.

If there was one thing about Numb3rs that annoyed me was its way of cutting out actors from certain episodes because of budget reasons, then you get these random moments when characters just disappear without a warning and pop back up again in the next episode, or these random fishing trips (a la Colby) or random life-contemplating journeys (a la Larry).....it really bugs me.....and I really hope CSI:NY is not following in those footsteps......

But as for the episode, it was interesting, love the street-dancing stuff! Can't believe that all-knowing Mac's never heard of street-dancing!

Back