German series

_Hush_

Winchester Inc.
Hi everyone,
I'm taking German at university right now. Just had my first class , and the professor recommended that we should watch german series in order to be more acquainted to the language. "Because German is an active language" (quote my professor :rolleyes: )
I know that this is a very international board. So, any good german series out there that you would recommend?
As we are all CSI-fans, I'm sure you'll understand that I'll prefer "die Krimis" over drama-series.
(der Krimi, die Krimi, das Krimi? I still have a lot to learn :D)

Thanks in advance!

EIN FALL FÜR ZWEI!

A kickass :p

I think German "crime shows" are great... I mean, those usually are "detective shows" but I absolutley love those.

Ein Fall für Zwei
Die Alte (old show)
Lea Sommer

Hmmm..what else.

Well, as a german I'd recommend to not start watching any german show as most of them suck. If you want to watch something german go for movies, there are a few decent ones.

I think it would be a lot better though to order german DVD's of american shows. How about watching CSI in german for example? Gives you the advantage of knowing what they say, that makes it a lot easier to follow. Also it's fun to watch people talk with a completely different voice and in a different language when you're only used to the original.

I agree with MiaCharlize. I watch American and English films and tv shows to improve my English, so why shouldn't it work the other way round? I don't know any really good German series, of course there are some good "Tatort" episodes (Tatort = crime scene in Engl.), but I'd really recommend watching shows or film you already know, that's easier to start with. However, when you've watched something, tell us how you liked it! ;)

Actually, I'm from Belgium, so I have a basic knowledge of German. It looks a little like Dutch, which is my native language. I'm gonna try and find CSI's in German, but I don't think that's gonna be easy to find (and oh, my poor bank account :rolleyes:)
I'm going to the store tomorrow. Now at least, I have a few titles that I can search for. If you know any good movies too, don't hold back. :D
Thanks a lot, guys!

I'd also say it's better watching series in german you're already familiar with. That's better than just watching series in german and you won't understand anything.
I'm also from germany and I'm watching movies and series in english if I already have seen them in german so I know what they're saying.

German series which are worth to see....hmm..
I always liked 'Alarm für Cobra 11'. It's also a police series.
'Mein Leben und ich' is also a great series. It's a comedy soap.

German movies?..

'Lola rennt' is awesome. It's older and Franka Potente is the main actress. It's really cool!
Also namable are: 'Sophie Scholl - DIe letzten Tage', 'Der Untergang', (both nominated for an Academy Award), 'Napola - Elite für den Führer'. Those movies are all about the second world war...

There are many good movies in german... too much to write them all down.
Here are a few more: 'Das Boot', 'Goodbye, Lenin', 'Jenseits der Stille', 'Sonnenallee', 'Heaven' (with Cate Blanchett), 'Das Leben der anderen' and 'Das Parfum'.

You can see more german movies on this list. There are also extra informations about nominations and winning (Academy Award e.g.)

'Mein Leben und ich' is also a great series. It's a comedy soap.

I totally agree. That show is awesome, one of the very few that don't suck. I wouldnt't recommend it to a non-german though, as they talk really fast sometimes, and it's all about getting the side-comments and word games. Comedy is always for advanced learner's.

As for finding german CSI DVD's, try german ebay or something, you should find some there.

You know... at least here some movies that are sold on DVD, beside the original langue, there is also a language option (I mean also with voice, like dubbed) for German, French and perhaps Spanish and Italian.

I have Nordic version of The Bodyguard and Mad Dog and Glory and both I've watched 'in german' when I just changed voice and subtitles in German :p

Quite nice :D

Back