George/Nick Syndrome Ward Pics #44

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Ladybronco, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Wasn't me! It's been above zero for almost a week out here - just in time to melt all the pretty snow so we didn't have a white Christmas. :rolleyes:

Congrats blackflag! Hope your computer is clean and returned soon. People I work with are big fans of a couple of free virus scanners (I think AVG is one). The commercial ones tend to be so bloated, they slow down the system a lot. I found Norton pretty bad for that; I've never run MacAfee on a personal computer, but at work it just annoys me by trying to tell me that the sites WE BUILD are a security risk. :rolleyes: Personally, I don't run a virus scanner anymore - but I do have a pretty tight firewall on my router, and I don't use IE. If you do use IE, I'd strongly suggest switching to a more secure browser.

Here's some smiles to cheer you up!

one
    two
    three
    four
    five
    six

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

We also avoid using scanners. We've got a good firewall. We're careful on what we open both in emails and sites we visit.

my second set of smiles

seven
    eight
    nine
    ten
    eleven
    twelve

3. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

I keep my firewall pretty tight too, because I do a lot of torrenting, but it's the one built into Norton. I don't have my Windows one activated. Which firewall do you all mostly use? I think my son used Kaspersky for his security for one year, but didn't renew it when he sold his laptop. I've heard of AVG a little bit. I wouldn't mind saving money, if any of the free programs are trustworthy. Opinions are appreciated!

Second set of Smiles

Seven
    Eight
    Nine
    Ten
    Eleven
    Twelve

4. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I use the Kaspersky one :) It sure hast his price but it does its job and it's very easy to handle :) I dunno about free programs... never used them. My uncle always says safety has its price :lol:

5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I use the free version of AVG, recommended to me by my computer guy geek friend. :) So far so good over several years, and you know I'm on my computer a LOT, so I run a daily scan with it. I've only caught one nasty thing that messed me up. It took AVG and a second malware program to get rid of it, but I was able to do it all myself and have been fine since. :)

6. Jacquie

we use Windows.

and since we were talking about the family meeting :lol:

7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

On this one I have Avast - free one that I downloaded. So far I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't have an actual firewall but it does scan a website upon entering it and if it finds a problem it will ask if you still want to. Can't ask for much more for free. :lol: I'm not sure you can get one with an actual firewall for free.

On the other one we had both McAfee firewall and virus scanner. For awhile it would allow me to run both their firewall and windows firewall together. Ended up having to shut off the windows firewall because it didn't like running both and I don't trust the windows firewall alone. I have no problems with the McAfee virus scanner except for the fact that it can take most of the day to run. The firewall is another problem - it told me there was a problem with the website but it went anyways instead of asking me if I still wanted to, like it used to and I would say NO. It was the firewall that failed not the virus scanner. :(

I once read somewhere (possibly when my mom worked at Digital Equipment Corp.) that unless your incredibly stupid you're not going to get a virus from a website that your firewall has flagged as red. There's a better chance it's going to come from a website that people go to every day. (some of what they mentioned - all major television networks, Wall Street Journal)

Time to send Nick on his way... :( :(

Your runners up:
    Jacquie - always makes me think of The Grinch. :lol:
    Raynn - Nick wins hands down for most adorable when embarassed. :adore:
    NickyFan - so easy to miss the young eager days. :luvlove:

[​IMG]
    Ladybronco because who can resist adorable George. :adore: I've sent Nick to the airport but as I look over my shoulder there's delays and Logan so he could be late. Our wind is strong enough to day that it could probably blow some of the lighter planes out of the sky! :eek:

Susan

8. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Good evening ladies!!
    Sorry to be so late in arriving, it was a beastly day.
    Kids, even 20 year olds, have the power to make you :scream:

Thanks for sending Nick my way Blackflag!!
    He is greatly appreciated tonight, he can soothe my mental wounds :bolian:

No new Nick tonight, but he can at least watch T-TH with me :devil:

Ah.....what to do for your next theme, since I'm unprepared and rather out of sorts today? Should I make you think? Or should I go easy on you? Ok, gonna be a thinker after all :p
    Two sets of I-Spy pics for you ladies, STOKES and GEORGE.
    Winner in the next 24 hours or so. Happy Hunting!

9. blackflag

16, 14, and their 45 year old father (my brother who is supposed to be primary custodial parent!) is worse than either one of them! :klingon:
    Glad I could send Nick your way at a good time. :lol:

first set of theme pics:
    S = Sad
    T = T-shirt
    O = Orange
    K = Kiss
    E = Envelopes
    S = Skull

Susan

10. Jacquie

11. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Congrats on your win, Ladybronco :)

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time with your son :( Kids can be mean!

First set:

S - Stripes
    T - Tape
    O -Open
    K - Knock
    E - Emotions
    S - Spider

12. blackflag

:scream: Now they have to do a system restore as the only way to get rid of the virus! :censored: And they have to save all the data and pics first which is another $75. (If I'd known it was safe to without saving the virus I would have before we took it down! :brickwall: :censored:) Not to mention the fact that we had to call them to find this out because they didn't call us!

second set of theme pics:
    G = Gun
    E = Eating
    O = Open Nick
    R = Railroad tracks
    G = Garage
    E = Eyewitness

Susan

13. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

That sucks! I'm so sorry, blackflag :( There is nothing worse than spending more and more money on something that could have been prevented :(

Second set:

G - Grissom
    E - Eyes
    O - Orange
    R - Red
    G - Girl
    E - Ears

14. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Wow, blackflag.. You make me glad I was comfortable enough to do it myself when I got a virus! Staples overprices everything, I think. I've seen the same item at other stores for half what they sell it for - so it frustrates me that they're the only place that sells the keyboard I like. :(

Congrats ladybronco. Hope Nick is keeping you happy. :)

First set (posting blind, so hope I don't dupe):

Sports attire
    Toes
    Ocean
    Knife
    Elevator
    Sanders

15. blackflag

For us Staples is the only place. We'll buy at Best Buy but we will not go there to gets things fixed (& none of the other office supply stores are all that close to us!). We've heard absolute horror stories about the 'Geek Squad'. Regular virus's I'm fine with ever since Victoria messed up the old Windows '98 machine. This one is something else. As soon as the virus scanner finds it, it changes it's name so your virus scanner quarantines/fixes a blank file while it continues on infecting the machine. Yah, it's maddening that McAfee let it through the firewall but I'm more pissed that customer service with Staples' tech guys is like pulling teeth.

Just to calm myself down right now I come on TalkCSI and into 'The Ward' at least 10 times a day and stare at 2 or 3 pages worth of posted theme pics. :drool: This thing may crawl along slowly but at least it's good for staring at George/Nick! :devil:

Susan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.