Former X-Philes, Unite!

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 25, 2006.

1. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

'Tis very old.

But I like it. I don't know why because she's not really 'singing' but the lyrics are so poetic (find them online) and they do sound like poetry.

I'm not sure if she's being a tad... erm... voyuerist in this or not, but she's hot :lol: . And I like the symbolsim.

Well, let's face it, she rocks.

2. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

*blows dust* Do I need to call in Mulder? Everyone still okay?

Okay, I have a request.

Next weekend,I have a free day with no sisters, no aunt and no work. I also have no friends as they're all buggering off somewhere :lol: sooo, what do I want from you?

I want a nice list of the best M/S angst/romance episodes for me to watch :lol:. Only the good ones that will make me smile, laugh, cry and go 'ohhhh' ;).

Okay? Danke xx

3. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

off the top of my head...

Arcadia, the Rain King, Triangle, Quagmire, Detour, Chinga, Memento Mori, Small Potatoes, Redox I and II, War of the Coprophages (AJ Buckley is in this one, he is so cute :D)...

Did anyone see the leaked teaser trailer for the movie?? It looks so good, getting super excited!!!

4. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

^^Yeah, I've been given some fun info... then I saw that and chuckled hehe. They change thins too quickly in this neck of the woods.

Thanks for the episodes. I'm gonna have one fun weekened.

So my X-Philers... we need to do something to liven this thread up...

5. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Ok, hope I'm right here. Well I actually haven't watched any X Files episode for years until I came across a rather "cheap" Collectors Edition. So for the last weeks I was marathon watching and just finished S8. I must add to that that I stopped watching after S6 aired (I really can't remember why). So S7 and 8 were completely new to me.

I really didn't like S7 at all. :( The episodes themselves were alright but there were too many "fun" episodes, no story arc (at least I couldn't find one) an overall disappointed season in my opinion. Except for a few episodes like the finale. :thumbsup:

Anyway, the reason I'm posting and please tell me if you're not interested in the subject and I will never mention it again, there are many more topics on the X Files I can talk about too (at least I think so), is my fascination with the Mulder/Skinner thing. Here's part of my post that I wanted to start a thread with. So initinally it's slash, if you don't like it please stop reading now. And again tell me, and I'll never mention it here again. So here it comes:

Well, I don’t really remember the episode where I first thought they’d be great together but I remember thinking that the way Mulder acted around Skinner was really “odd”. I mean the man is his boss, he’s the Assistant Director, and even if Mulder has a problem with authorities, he just acted really casual (sorry for the lack of right words, I’m not a native speaker) around him. He told him off, he screamed at him, he accused him, he hit him, need I go on? And all the while Skinner was never really as pissed off with him as he should have been. I mean we’re talking about a subordinate here who regularly disobeys him. No, Skinner seems to find excuses for him – especially in later episodes when Mulder and Scully know that they can trust him.

Probably the first episode I knew there was something more going on between the two of them was Avatar (S3: Skinner was accused of murdering a woman he spend the night with). No one really believed that he did it but only Mulder knew for sure he didn’t kill her, he never even entertained the possibility that he could have done it. Then Skinner opened up to him, told him about his death experience in Vietnam. From Skinner’s wife we know for sure that he never opened up to her, that he never trusted her that much, as he trusted Mulder in this episode.
    The next big step in their relationship (be it love or friendship) was Zero-Sum (S4: Again Skinner is being framed with murder). The events in this episode were vital to their relationship. Mulder finally trusted Skinner for good. He was so angry with him, he thought he’d betrayed him (which he did) and yet, he still found the strength to believe in him regardless of the facts. Plus, Skinner sacrificed himself to get a cure for Scully so Mulder wouldn’t have to do it. Can you say love?

In Redux II Skinner went to the hospital to see Scully and found Mulder waiting around her room. Just the interaction between them there and then …

There are many more episode that I don’t recall right now but as I said before their interaction is full of subtext at least to me.

Another episode I need to mention though is Triangle (S6: Bermuda Triangle). Skinner as a nazi who saved Mulder’s life by saying he might be important to them? Why would Mulder imagine Skinner as someone who’d save him? OK, yes, I know he trusts him and all but still. I was so happy when I saw that! And later on after they came back safely from their trip, and Mulder was in the hospital (you know is there an article before hospital, I never can remember), Skinner brought him FLOWERS! Wow, I still am all excited about that one. Flowers? For a male subordinate? Sure he might only be friendly here but really?

In Biogenesis and The Sixth Extinction Skinner was so concerned about Mulder that he disobeyed orders. And Brand X? Wow I loved that episode (S7 sucked in my opinion and had only a handful of good episodes), don’t really recall why but it was the way the two of them interacted again. I should have really made some notes …

Which brings me right to S8 and the reason I finally decided I had to share my findings with the world. First of all Skinner cried at Scully’s bed because and I quote “I lost him”. That was so moving. This strong man who never showed any emotions not even when his life’s in danger cried because he lost one of his agents. And when he learned that Scully was pregnant, I swear he thought something like “OMG is it Mulder’s?” And the desperation with which he searched for Mulder in S8?

When they found Mulder dead and later on discovered that Billy Miles returned from the dead it was Skinner who ordered Mulder’s exhumation hoping against hope that he would return too. Also when Krycek tried to make him sacrifice Scully’s child for Mulder’s life he did what he thought Mulder would want him to do, he ended Mulder’s misery, saved him from becoming an alien (at least that’s what he thought he did when in reality what he did saved Mulder’s life). Again he risked his life (Krycek still had the palm pilot!) to save Mulder and the people he cared about.

In Alone he looked for the answer to the question he had since the beginning of the season, who’s the father of Scully’s child. He kinda looked relieved when he learned it wasn’t Mulder. In Existence Mulder was at Skinner’s bedside after Billy Miles had injured him.

So, that was a short account of their onscreen relationship (well, more or less onscreen). Now, if there are still people who know The X Files, tell me what you think about the pairing. Is it just my wild imagination, wishful thinking or do you think the way I do?

6. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Don't be silly :). I loved their relationship. While I'm a hardcore Mulder/Scully shipper, I've had many a conversation about the M/Skinner dynamic. I find it fascinating, and , I'll admit, something I've only recently come to consider.

I always thought they got away with a lot. But I always thought that was because skinner knew Mulder and Scully were right. Admittedly, they did get away with a lot :lol:.

Which is why many are for the Scully/Mulder/Skinner relationship. They all seem so enamored.

I think it's a very interesting question. I mean, they left the Mulder/Scully relationship under an air of mystery for so long, it does make me wonder what else they kept hidden between the lines. It's possible but, given when it was aired, I doubt they would have made it blatant. It's a great notion. Got me wondering now ;).

Interesting ideas, hopefully we can get some ideas thrown back and forth about it. This thread has been pretty dead for a while now.

Thanks for getting us started. The truth is out there, lets get searching :).

7. MissKraft

MissKraft Rookie

Woo Hoo! X- File thread!

I miss the series too.:(

1. I have signed photos from Mulder, Scully, Dogget, Skinner, Breyers ( with a personal letter ), and Frohike ( with a personal letter ).

2. I have the X-Files movie on VHS.:rolleyes:

3. I have the movie poster hung in my bedroom.

4. I still have the movie stub!:guffaw:

5. I have the complete sets of the trading cards.:wtf:

6. I have the book about the artisits of the series.

7. Many of the music score CDs, including the one where Scully sings!:angel:

LOL!

Sorry I got carried away.:lol:

Oh, and the second movie is supposed to be released in July. The last I heard anyway.

8. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Well, I guess you're quite the fan then :lol:.

I'm really looking forward to the new film, saw a trailer and it looks promising.

I started with S9 (for the first time) and I got a bit confused. Well, I think that's nothing new with the X files. But come on, they exchange one conspiracy with another? First it was alien babies (which we saw!!!) and now it's super soldiers? WTF. :wtf: Well I've just watched the first two episodes maybe it will make sense later on. Just had to get this off my back. ;)

9. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

*sigh* me too...and i got it for like 30 bucks when it was released. I have tons of stuff...and if i had more money when i was young, would have had way more stuff. I grew up in Vancouver, so i kept all the newspaper articles, and there were a lot of them.

:lol: Yeah, that is probably not a great idea. I would start from the beginning, there is a lot of continuing storyline. But don't worry, even us hardcore fans who followed the show like crazy got confused with the mythology in S8 and 9. I love those two seasons for the stand alone eppys, but the mythology (in xphile lingo, the continuing conspiracy storylines) got really stupid and confusing.

10. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

No,no, I meant I reached S9. I watched all eight seasons before but I'm still confused :confused:

I was pleasantly surprised how well S8 worked for me. I was sure it would be horrible since Mulder wasn't (much) in it. But I really liked Doggett (spelling?) and the stand-alones are really good. Well let's see what S9 has in store for me...

What do you think about S7 'cause I really hated it. There were only like five or six episodes I liked. There was no longer story arc, nothing that connected the episodes only "fun" episodes. I love "fun" episodes but not for an entire season.

11. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

Ahh, this thread makes me smile.... :) I am so psyched for the new XF movie in July. I changed my mobile wallpaper to the first FTF wallpaper. My ringtone is the first 15 seconds of the XF theme. I have been re-reading all the XF comics I collected back in the day. I got FTF on DVD, first two seasons on DVD. My favorite ep of those has got to be 'One Breath'. Amazing episode.

12. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

oh! :lol: I see...yeah, i am still confused, i think everyone was. By the finale, everyone was just going 'huh?'.

Season 7 was definitely the worst. It had some great ones, like Hollywood AD (which is hilarious!), the goldberg variation (which has the guy from fur and loathing :lol:), Brand X (jigsaw!), and Je souhaite. But the rest was just meh.

I loved season 8, and 9 was pretty good. I really liked Doggett, and the stand alone eppys were really good. Out of season 9, i loved Improbable (LOVE the music, really catchy...probably the most bizarre x-files eppy of all time, i was speechless the first time i watched it), Daemonicus, John Doe, Scary Monsters was great (very good Scully lines, ahahaha the dead cat), Jump the Shark was alright, but sad, and i enjoyed Sunshine Days (yes the brady bunch is involved).