Forensics Questions

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Alyssa, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Thank you, muchly, MiaCaro! I just eat this stuff up. When I was a kid, my mom always said I'd make a great doctor, if only I weren't so afraid of blood! Science has always intrigued me! Almost went to college for it... almost. :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You are very welcome!

Im a bit of a net-nut, so if it's there, I'll find it :lol:

3. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I looked at the link so graciously provided by MiaCaro, and a few others I found on my own, but none talked about whether or not the mouth is actually, physically washed prior to autopsy. To me, it makes no sense to do so. I mean, that might compromise other evidence.

I remember when the one body was stolen from the lab, beer had been poured down the throat of the dead body. So, it would seem to me that if one cleaned the mouth with water as one washes the rest of the body, that might compromise stomach contents, etc.

Does anyone know, maybe, a forensic text I might find that could offer help? Thanks!

4. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I'm sort of stuck in a novel I'm writing at the moment. I can't find the name of the solution used to remove flesh from bullets. Is it just water, or a specialized solution?

5. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

6. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

I had a quick look in a few textbooks. The body is washed to remove the blood, but you wouldn't find any blood in the mouth (it would have been swallowed). What you said about compromising stomach contents doesn't matter, pouring water would only add water in the stomach, when in any case, there already is. Sorry, best thing I could come up with

7. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

thegluups: You really rock. I appreciate it. So, I guess if I want some invisible evidence in the mouth, I can put it there. Thanks. :)

Edited because spelling counts.

8. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Thanks Forensics_Guy!

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

What do they call it when someone dies of a laceration to the jugular. How would Doc Robbins describe it?

10. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

it means they die of extanguishen (or that kind of spelling...) A laceration is a puncture, basically a whole in, in this case, the jugular vein. It could be caused by a blunt trauma, by an accident, by a bullet...

11. Crysthala

Crysthala CSI Level One

The word's spelled exsanguination, which means "bleeding to death."
    The difference between lacerations and punctures is the shape, and the manner in which they're inflicted. Punctures are inflicted with a stabbing motion (i.e. stabbing someone with a pen or needle), whereas lacerations are caused by sharp edges (i.e. a knife or a piece of broken glass). Punctures tend to be round or square, whereas lacerations are lines.
    The good Doc would probably say something like "COD was exsanguination, <insert type of wound here> to the jugular." Or similar.

12. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

So if someone slit someone's throat and his the jugular, that would mean that COD was exsanguination due to a laceration of the jugular?

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

That would be a mouthful with or without a slit throat.

14. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Me and spelling...those two just don't go along...But there isn't that much diference with a puncture or a laceration. Ofen, a pen or (even if it's less likely) can also cause laceration. I always thought they were airly the same. Do you know the differences? (I guess it's in size measurement, right?) :confused:

15. Cat

Cat Head of the Swing Shift

Ok, i'm bringing this one up too.