Forensic Quiz

Below is a case scenario designed to make the reader think along the lines of a forensic scientist.

Feel free to ask additional questions, if you think they might help.

The Deer Poachers:

A game warden heard a loud bang, consistent with a gunshot, and went to investigate. He came across three poachers out hunting together standing over a fallen deer carcass. The first poacher was armed with a compound bow, the second with a semi-automatic AR-15, and the third with a bolt action 30 caliber rifle. All three weapons were confiscated, pending future testing.

Results from the examination of the deer showed a standard "snowstorm" pattern of metal fragments under x-ray. The pathologist removed numerous metal fragments of lead and copper. Not all of the material could be removed, but the combined weight of the removed fragments was approximately 40 grains.

Microscopic examination showed no areas on the copper fragments that possessed rifling marks that could be used to microscopically compare test fires from the three poachers weapons.

Who shot the deer, and who was arrested?

The one with the bolt action 30 caliber, I think that is the only one of the guns that would have the 'snowstorm' pattern on the carcass.

Ouch, my organs.
Well, the lead snowstorm is definately consistant with the AR-15 plus I've known them to usually fire about 40-90 grains. Where, if my memory serves, a 30 caliber usually fires MUCH more than that, and would basically whoomph right on through. To that end, I'd say the AR-15 shooter, but I don't know anything really about crossbow ballistics. Then again I doubt they'd snowstorm.

Your reasoning is sound. And everything you stated is correct. The only fact that you haven't taken into account is that there is no rifling marks on the copper metal fragments.

Given the fact that there weren't any rifling marks on the copper fragments., this leaves only the game warden himself as his weapon wasn't tested.

VManso said:
Given the fact that there weren't any rifling marks on the copper fragments., this leaves only the game warden himself as his weapon wasn't tested.

The game warden heard the shot, but did not actually do the shooting, nor was it his weapon.

flacksgirl said:
I don't know who shot the deer but wouldn't all three be arrested since they were all present at the shooting.

Most likely yes. All three would probably be arrested for poaching regardless of who actually shot the deer.

But who shot the deer?

If the poachers were aarrested for having been at the scene of the crime, then the only person remaining would be the game warden himself.(I could be wrong.)

VManso said:
If the poachers were aarrested for having been at the scene of the crime, then the only person remaining would be the game warden himself.(I could be wrong.)

OK. One of the given facts of the exercise is that the Game Warden didn't shoot the deer.

All three people would probably be arrested for poaching because they were out poaching. The point of the exercise however, is to determine which of the three poachers shot the deer.

Back