Fires in Cal disrupt production on tv series.

well so far its been confirmed that NCIS and 24 have both delayed some filming. I don't see these fires going out of control for much longer though...

They're hoping to have full containment of one fire by Halloween. I'm crossing my fingers. Here's the State of CA Fire Website. The sky in my area isn't black or orange (not too much) today, but we still have quite a bit of ash in the air and on the ground. :(

My family & friends is involed in this, they live in San Diego horrible beyond words , the whole city has evacuated some 1 million residents, and some are at our Charger Stadium. My son-in-laws brother among them.. I'm so glad I don't live there anymore, so tragic and heartbreaking a raging inferno, so I'm not concerned about TV shows that have to stop filming for now, I'm worried about the poeple I care about!

desertwind said:
My family & friends is involed in this, they live in San Diego horrible beyond words , the whole city has evacuated some 1 million residents, and some are at our Charger Stadium. My son-in-laws brother among them.. I'm so glad I don't live there anymore, so tragic and heartbreaking a raging inferno, so I'm not concerned about TV shows that have to stop filming for now, I'm worried about the poeple I care about!

I'm glad someone finally said this. Yes, I realize this is the General Media & TV section, but I didn't see a thread about the victims of this horrible fire in OT either. I can live with shows having to suspend production, the important thing is saving lives here.

San Diego, looks like downtown Baghdad, a war zone. It's so overwhelming horrific that it's beyond comprehension! people have no homes to go back to, and businesses are all burnt to the ground and the economy is so tragic, luckily my family is safe, the fires were licking at their back door, but the winds shifted, and thank god, their home was saved. Then to add more heartbreak and misery there's arsonists doing their insane deeds. FREAKS :eek: WHY would anyone do that? :mad:....Now, the Vegas valley has the aftermath of the fires, it's overcast and hazy and eerie! and fires are still burning, the worst fire disaster in California/San Diego history!

And a heartfelt thank's to the blessed firefighters, and for their valiant tireless efforts working endlessly night and day to squelch out this inferno.. god bless you all ;)

desertwind I'm glad to hear your family is safe. I know that doesn't help the others that have lost everything but at least you have a peace of mind :) I hope others that have family in the fire areas have found their loved ones safe.

My brother just moved to San Diego a few months ago. So far he is safe. I have been terribly worried about him. He is one of the lucky ones that has not been evacuated yet. The maps show fires almost in a circle all around his area. My heart goes out to the families that have been affected by this. I wish everyone well.

This disaster will leave a mark in a lot of ways - higher produce prices (burnt or heat/smoke-damaged orchards and farms), illnesses from the particulate pollution in the air all over SoCal (hell, I've had a headache for five days...), and a LOT of hashing over our disaster preparedness. I've gotta say, California as a whole is used to disasters and responds beautifully. We get fires and floods on an almost regular basis and major quakes every few years. This time, we were really on our own as far as fighting the fires. Units came down from NorCal, but more help had to be sought from neighboring states. A third of our National Guardsmen, who would normally be helping out, are in Iraq, and those still here were stretched to the limit, as were the courageous firefighters, for whom enough praise could never be given. Even the INS were putting rounding up illegals on the back burner in favor of helping save lives.

I was proud of this state when I saw the evacuees at QualComm Stadium, the survivors who came home to smoldering ruins, and saw what California is really made of. That spirit is probably our greatest strength.

As far as the filmings, they'd be wise to keep it on soundstages for a few more days. The particulate matter in the air is posing a major health risk, and we've been advised to keep outdoor activities minimal and non-strenuous. Areas such as Agua Dulce and Santa Clarita, where a lot of outdoor TV and movie filmings are done, were both directly affected by the fires. And some of the worst areas, like the larger burn areas in San Diego, will be smoldering into November.

This is where some wise producers cuold shuffle the filming schedule a little bit, leave the outdoor stuff for a few more days (and hope it actually DOES rain this weekend), and still get everything ultimately finished on schedule, with no harm to the health of cast or crew.

three of the water bombing planes helping out are from Canada ;)

thankfully, fires are not that bad for evacuation, compared to earthquakes and floods. If they have to push back the tv season, who cares.

xfcanadian said:

thankfully, fires are not that bad for evacuation, compared to earthquakes and floods. If they have to push back the tv season, who cares.

::salutes our neighbors to the north:: :cool:

True, though I've evacuated from both fire and flood situations in the past and they're both a royal pain. Both can pose a risk factor due to time constraints; head out before the wind changes direction and blows the flames over your hill, or before the flood washes out the last bridge out of the area. With earthquakes there's no warning so the only evacuation factor is afterward, if your building is red-tagged (or downright destroyed or damaged beyond habitability).

xfcanadian said:

Yeah, and how much you wanna bet Bush will do exactly what he did with 9/11: Thank everyone and their mother for helping out but conveniently forget Canada.

Anyway, I heard one firefighter died. This is so sad, I'm gonna take all the rain we've been getting here and send it your way, Californians. ;)

Back