Feminism And The Portrayl Of Women In Media

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by quoth_the_raven, Jul 14, 2007.

1. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Wow, really? :eek: In Portugal they do show those commercials, and I love that campaign. I love their concept and I think they should be elevated, not banned. Do you know the reason for it? Sounds stupid to me :eek: They're my favorite commercials, really, I am not skinny like models, and I love to see them having larger-than-usual-in-a-commercial-women for publiciting their produtcs. Besides, it just shows that, and in a commercial way of corse, every woman can be happy with who she is, it's about the way we think of ourselves, the way we look at us and realize that we're just real :) There's one about the deodorants with the tops and t-shirst that I really like ;)

Yeah, that's one of the most ridiculous things ever. I don't really know if that has anything to do with women or with publicity in general, but it's so stupid. In my point of view, it's like thei're trying to make an attempt to say that every woman that is that size or larger (most of the women, I am sure) need to lose weight :eek: But the same goes to the beauty products to correct this and that, they put there women that have none of the things the products would help for :eek:

I really never thought of the way woman are portrayted, I mean, I don't feel all that bad about some of the things, but I do regarding others. I think I just never thought that this may have to do with the way women are shown or treated, but just the way our society sees everybody and the levels of beauty instead of personality.

2. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

CSI_Dani, apparently here in the states, the FAA felt that Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty commercials were 'too risque' for television :rolleyes: People have said that's just more sexist and discriminatory than they will ever know, because if they were showing skinny, toned women in all the commercials they'd probably have no problem showing them. However, some of those women on there are quite healthy-looking. It's like they're saying that's not appropriate for our television sets.

3. OscarMayerLemur

OscarMayerLemur Police Officer

All this is why I love the song Stupid Girls by Pink. Especially, "What happened to the dream of a girl president? She's dancin' in the video next to 50 Cent." *sigh*

4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

^ If you want to be a girl president then go for it. Once someone sets a dream nothing can stop them from achieving it unless they doubt themself.

5. ModernDayDrifter

ModernDayDrifter Lab Technician

I agree with most of whats being said most woman in the media,comercials,ect have been potrayed as nothing more then delicate air heads and there only porpuse is to show some skin.Has any one noticed over the season of CSI Miami that there have been more and more low cut shirts?Theres been so much T and A in that show Im ready to stop watching.There was one episode I could see all the way down Emily Procters shirt!

And as for double standards there are so many...
    #1 If a woman dates an older man,shes a gold digger.But if a guy dates an older woman hes considered lucky!
    #2 If girls get into a fight its called a cat fight,If men do it its just a fight.
    #3 If a bunch of woman get together for a girls night or something its called a hen house guys do it its just a guys night out.
    I could go on and on.To cut to the chase woman in the media tick me off cuz they ruin it for every other woman who just wants to be equal!

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i call a gathering of guys something, but probably shouldnt say it on the board ;) two innocent words but when put together it gives the air of something far more inappropriate than 'hen house' :lol:

do i think women in the media are shown in an unfair way? yeah, probably. but for the most part it doesnt bother me. but the thing is, does anyone complain when its the other way around? i know i wasnt up in arms about daniel craig being portrayed as a sex object when we frolicked in the ocean in that tiny bathing suit. i quite enjoyed it actually. no one seems to be upset when a man is topless for the sake of showing off his muscles, but a women in a bra to show off her breasts seems to be a hot button issue. they simply appeal to what is a tried and tested method of getting peoples attention.

i think the argument of women being objectified by the media is pointless because i see it being done to men just as much. example: is the hot, half naked, muscled man in the razor commercial really for the benefit of other men who are going to buy the razor? ;) just something to keep in mind.

7. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

From what I can comprehend, feminism is about choice. Yes, women have fought hard to get us a high position in the workplace. Yes, women have struggled against the strength of men to get what they want. That being said, a woman should be able to hold any job she wants, whether it be a housewife or a dancer in a 50 cent video. As long as they keep their morals at the end of the day, it's all good. Some people that women are meant to be slaving in the kitchen or washing the dirty shirts. However, it's the 21st century & us females should have to freedom to do whatever we want, whether it's sexual or not. Seeing men objectify women makes me uncomfortable but I realize that the women chose to remove their clothes in Playboy. If they were forced than it's different but most of the time, the woman accepts that role. Gone are the days of staying at home, watching the children & cooking dinner for the husband. I support every woman's choice in what she wants to do in life. Holding them back isn't gonna help. It's just gonna let the man's ego grow, showing them that they're in charge of us when that's been done a long time ago.

That's my two cents & I hope I made sense :).

8. OscarMayerLemur

OscarMayerLemur Police Officer

It made lot's of sense. I see you put alot of thought to it.
    Yes, I definentaly see your point. Thanks for that. :)

But, um, everyone? That's not what I meant by the pink thing. I think I looked at that part differently then everyone else did. I guess that's what happens when I put things out of porportian(sp?) then think about it. hehehe. Or when I litsen to my one friend....