European Parliament Election 2009

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, May 21, 2009.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yep, i completely agree. sadly in an economic downturn it's inevitable they'll get it :(

2. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

In Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein (Nationalist Party) got a seat, as did the DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) and UCUNF (Ulster Conservatives and Unionists - New Force). There is shock throughout the country that after almost 30 years the DUP have lost their majority and Sinn Fein have taken over. It's believed that this is due to the splitting of the Unionist vote, in this election there were 3 Unionst Parties and 2 Nationalist parties standing, as expected the 2 of the Unionist Parties got into power, however the 1 Nationalist party which got in, got in with the majority vote. Althought Unionists altogether still hold the majority of the votes, it's not within one party, and therefore the Nationalist party are seen to hold the majority.

3. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Well, I was away for the election, so I got a postal vote- Im the only person in my family who bothered!
    I usually go by party- mainly because I wouldn't know who any of the individuals were. I've never seen any celebrities on my ballot.

I am pro- EU. But I agree with what someone wrote earlier about being for the idea in general, but not wanting the different countries to lose there identity. I can see how being part of a big organisation helps, ive seen local groups getting EU money that they simply would not have got from the government, and I do think it is good to get all the nations of Europe communicating with one another.

I know I was angry about this not surprised, it was inevitable. BNP should not be getting votes - a racist party like them does not deserve to have any kind of power.[/QUOTE]

I was also shocked that we have 2 BNP ministers. And one in my region, the North West! In my local paper today it listed the percentage of vote each party got in the local towns- and the BNP did get a high percentage in each town. But history does show that in times of recession people turn to extreme parties :(

4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, so I'm a little uncertain how it works- are these your country elections as well, or just representation in the EU? Or is it the same thing now?

Just read that Sweden's Pirate Party won a seat! :lol:

5. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

nope, those are only elections to the European Parliament, which is a legislative organ of EU. every country has their own independent government, and their own unique system. :)

6. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

true, although here in england there were local council elections going on as well, which confused *everybody*!