Episode 9x08 - ' Happy Birthday' **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

That was an awesome episode! :thumbsup: Some things I did like:

Good use of all team members
    Poor Frank, he has not had good luck with cars
    Ryan looked good in the blue T-shirt, reminded me of Pink Floyd album
    Calleigh with the woman and then with the baby was nice
    Natalia did a great job with the traffic with Walter
    H at the gravesite was very moving, and he called her Mari too.

There wasn't anything I didn't like except that I was saddened about the husband being bad.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not, but didn't that guy Josh look a lot like Kyle?!? And at the beginning of the show, when H was talking to Eric or his voice mail, it sounded like H was slurring his words, like he was drunk. :eek: Well he wasn't but sounded like it. :guffaw:

And like I said earlier in another post about Marisol, I like her character but not with Horatio, and this grief is very deep for someone he was with for so little time. :wtf: Oh well. :rolleyes:

Overall I would give it a 9/10 though.

2. ECRocks

ECRocks Witness

It was a very good episode it had much horatio and marisol, I still can't believe they killed her she was amazing. And Calleigh and the baby was such a lovely scen. oeh I hate that husband... But overall episode was good for me

3. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

AWESOME episode. I loved the teams reaction to the case. How driven they were. The plot was solid and I did NOT suspect the husband at all. There were already so many suspects, I was clueless! I honestly thought it was the bff ,simply because they made it SO obvious at the first. I actually enjoyed the husband's freak out session. It was a different angle... you don't see many people not wanting their own kids. For a minute, I thought, maybe she cheated and it wasn't his baby at all... to learn it was and he just had an issue with her being pregnant (while they're married), was DEF a different spin. Very fresh!

AND I can't help it, I absolutely LOVE Horatio's way of getting people to talk... :lol:

Just wish there had been more Ryan.. BUT that's just me. ;) He's been getting a fair amount, so I won't complain.

OVERALL I SAY 9/10!!!!!! Stellar! :D

(OKAY, ETA... a small complaint- HA. Or idea? yeah. Eric gets all these hot running scenes-by himself sometimes... can Ryan get one- ALONE- now, please? ;) )

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  4. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

The scenes with Calleigh and the pregnant woman were the best parts of the episode. I was also touched by Eric lighting the candles as a rememberance to his sister, Marisol. The ending scene with Horatio was also good. What I didn't like was not enough Ryan. I also wish they would start getting into more personality with him. Lately he just shows up, offers some advice, and then leaves. Found myself wishing Ryan had done the scene with Natalia instead of Walter when they were marking out the clues on the street. I am not sure why the writers feel we want to see uninteresting unattractive Walter over Ryan who is so georgeous. Sorry, just had to say that.

5. ECRocks

ECRocks Witness

btw calleighs back double looked amazing when the husband was uip to see his wife the first scene with calleigh it was really not her back way to small...

6. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Well so far I'm enjoying this season, but i'm beginning to have a problem with the beating up people to get information routine and the constant threats... this activity is making the show less and less like a CSI show and just like any other OTT cop drama for me - sorry if that offends anyone.

I have hopes that this stuff is leading somewhere particular. H has to have a boss right? He's only a Lieutenant! Well only isn't the best word, but you get what I mean..... Even Mac has bosses, and so does Catherine!

The Story was good, I really enjoyed it, good interaction with all cast and some really nice scenes for all the CSIs. I love Frank! He always manages to make me laugh...

I'd still rate the Episode as A :)

7. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

wow-loved the action packed episode-characters were driven to find the bad guys and they did go out of there way to get info-borderline police brutality. But the crime was so bad they needed to get the case solved to protect the pregnant woman. Was surprised the husband was involved-I thought it'd be the jealous son. Good scenes with Calleigh and Natalia was emotional as well (probably brought back bad memories of her husband). Good beginning, an emotional Horatio telling Erik "brother" on his way to Marisol's grave for her bday. Then ending the hour with Horatio exhausted but happy that the baby/mom were gonna be fine and him telling Marisol. It's like even though they didnt' know each other very long he misses what future they would have had together-he'd have someone to talk to about his day and feel her love-all lost now cause of Memmo killing her so that'll probably drive him the rest of the season to find that guy..

8. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

I have to say that although I adore Horatio when he's expressing that "dark and terrible beauty" in dealing with those that harm the innocent, too much of anything can be simply too much; his "harsh treatment" as it were, of an injured and in pain perp simply crossed this line. Now we can see why IAB was and IS needed and why only Rick Stetler (who is really missed by this poster!) should be brought back. He might be a thorn in Horatio's side but he's also the one who can get under his skin successfully enough to keep him in line as well. The fact that writers have kicked RS to the curb and have allowed Horatio to go rogue cop these days shows a great disrespect for the law.

In the older CSI Miami days, if Horatio had been doing these things he certainly would have had to face some strong accusations with evidence of police brutality (and I do think that even Natalia wouldn't cover for him in this latest case!).

As for Marisol, I too, don't get this angst over her. Unless the writers are going to do a back story, as some fan fiction writers have done and show us that the two of them had a deeper relationship than what was seen in the past which amount to care giving and less than one day of marriage- no honeymoon at all, then I don't see where all of this grief is coming from. I didn't really care for their relationship because I didn't believe in it. I would have preferred that Horatio had gone and married Yelina (and I miss HER, RAY JR. SUZIE and MADISON too).

People that know me here, just know as far as Kyle is concerned, what fate I'd like see coming to him: (and perhaps Memmo is going to be the *one* to be the catalyst of fulfilling one of Horatio's life themes- he must lose to death those that he loves; although I sure would love to have proven what I still believe emphatically: that Kyle was not (and has never been) his son. ).

I would have preferred a much happier ending to this episode; Horatio had saved two lives and caught everyone that was guilty; wouldn't it have been better if he had been holding the baby girl and telling the mother that she won't be alone? That's what would have happened in Miami in the past; affirming life over death would have been a more fitting tribute to Marisol if one is going to give her one.

Oh and when are we going to see Horatio dressed in something else besides black suits? Horatio is not an undertaker and it looks like that he's wearing the same outfit all of the time. People in real life just don't do that- at least he's wearing a lab coat again (that goodness for small favors!)

9. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

Wow! What a great 200th episode! I enjoyed every moment of it!

First of all, the case was great! For once it had me guessing until the end. I actually thought that the jealous friend was behind the whole crime, I would have never suspected the husband! :eek: What a jerk though... Trying to kill his own baby, man I hope he's locked up for a LONG time. I don't care if he didn't actually mean for those people to beat up his wife, he shouldn't have hired them. period. I can't comprehend someone who'd want to hurt their own child.

Anyways, moving along. I was quite content with the amount of Natalia in last nights episode! I definitely wouldn't have minded to see more Ryan, but he's been getting a lot more screen time lately so I won't complain. :) And I agree with whoever said Ryan needed his own "solo chase scene". I would love to see that. :D

Calleigh and the mother was absolutely precious. Their scenes were so precious and sweet. :)

Despite the general consensus, I was quite content to see the Marisol storyline come back. Not because I enjoyed the storyline, (I personally found it rushed and a bit "over the top") but mainly because it shows continuity. I honestly did not think that TPTB had it in them! So far this season they've been better than previous seasons with continuity. Hopefully they'll continue in this positive path.

In general, I quite enjoyed last nights episode. I would give it an A.

10. nsynckal

nsynckal Hit and Run

Hey I need help.. This is related to this thread.. I just wrote a long reply about my thoughts on the episode and this box came up over a smiley face and I clicked on it and then the whoole thing was gone. Does anybody kno what happened? I'm still fairly new to posting. Is there anyway to retrieve what I wrote? Somebody please helo???

11. hiphuggerslove

hiphuggerslove Rookie

I love this episode .... horatio and eric was not playing......love calleigh when she said that prayer to that lady at the hospital that was so beautiful ....

and the ending with horatio was sad....

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

What kind of box was it? I mean was it like an ad banner or just a blank box?

13. CSI4evr

CSI4evr Rookie

i just watched last nights episode and i thought that it was one of the best episodes this season so far. i loved how the person you would least expect i guilty of the crime. loved watching a bit of a vulnerable horatio when he was talking to marisol at the end and the bit of a flashback. i also thought that eric praying was pretty interesting too. i especially loved it when calleigh was holding the baby and how the mother said that the baby like calleigh. i thought it was sweet and could be a possible foreshadowing? i really liked the song choice at the end of this episode (Never Say Never, The Fray) it was personally one of my favorite songs. i think that in general the song choices this season have been pretty good. another one of my favorite songs was at the end of reality kills (Secrets by One Republic)

14. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

That's weird. :confused: It does sort of sound like a take-over ad or some glitch.

I do know that if you right-click and choose 'undo', some things might return but if you were directed away from the page, it's likely that you'll have to re-write your post. I find that it's always good to copy what you've written so far, especially if it's long and paste it into a word document until you've finished your post in case things like this happen.

As for the 200th episode...

To start off, I found Horatio's actions in last night's episode (locking the suspect into the Hummer and threatening him with Natalia present) to be more abhorrent than the previous week when he threw the parole officer out the trailer window. Of course, his conduct in both episodes were definitely unbecoming of a police officer, but somehow it seemed more understandable for him (but not right, mind you) to put his hands on the parole officer. Maybe because there was an actual crime in progress and it was the heat of the moment, whereas last night Horatio was more calculated and risked not only his career, but Natalia's.

Either way, it seems as though Horatio's starting to crack and lose it. The man needs a vacation (and not to Brazil :rolleyes:). I'm kind of hoping at some point that he's reprimanded because he cant just go around Miami with a violent chip on his shoulder, no matter how bad the baddies are. There's only so many directions he can go in his current state and I wouldn't put it past him to just out and murder someone. Maybe he should practice what he preaches to everyone else who decides to take the law into their own hands?

Despite the evolution he's taken over the past few seasons, I rather liked when he had more of a balance and didn't contradict himself repeatedly. I do still enjoy the character, I'm just a bit put off by what he seems to be turning into. I'm hoping he can find 'the light', so-to-speak and find some sort of balance again between passion for the victims and justice otherwise he'll devolve into Dirty Harry by the series' end. :p Maybe some fans might like it, who knows. :lol:

Regarding the rest of the episode, I kind of wished that since this was the 200th that there would be a little more scientific investigation. I'm not asking for the entire episode to be saturated with it and I'm sure the incessant interrogation scenes are fun for the actors as well as the guest stars, but we seem to be getting a lot of "I know you did this, now confess" lately even when the person ends up being innocent or guilty of something else, and when the frustration sets in is when they go back to the lab. I realize real police work functions like this but the whole foundation of the CSI franchise was to get the bad guys using the evidence, not unfounded accusations and questionable arrests. It makes sense when Tripp does it since he's the 'cop's cop' and relatively old-fashioned when it came to investigative work but now everyone's doing it.

Totally agreed. I'm not even sure why it was injected into the episode at all. Was it supposed to mirror Marisol's untimely death with the birth of a baby (since it was both their birthdays)? Because if that were the case, they could have easily made it Speed's birthday or Ray Sr.'s birthday as he had an even stronger connection to both of them; I don't exactly buy into Horatio's grief for Marisol for a monolith of reasons. Her death may have been more recent, but it's still not THAT recent (4-5 years ago!).

What I did like was the end montage with the music and the distribution of most of the characters. It's also great to see that not every episode has to be a murder and the twist was a good one.

Overall, I give it 7 Moo Cows out of 10. :p

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  15. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

In regards to Horatio's walk on the darkside, I'm convinced that this is going to come full circle somewhere down the line. The Death of Jesse and his wife's murderer on the loose is playing a part in him becoming a little unhinged.

If that's the case, I hope his team returns the favour and saves him.

As for this episode. A good episode though nothing too special but good to see everyone got a decent amount of screentime. I didn't suspect the husband at all so when it was revealed he did it, :eek:

Could you believe that I actually thought the jogger did it:p

Not a bad episode