Episode #605: 'Deep Freeze' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Lucy, Oct 19, 2007.

1. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Or maybe I'm being jocose like I am after every episode airs, and have been doing in this website for years.

2. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

In response to your posts dogbert, as has been said, just because we are fans of the show, it doesn't mean that we can't dislike or criticise certain aspects of it. If someone feels that this episode was disappointing, and that it didn't really have any saving graces, they are perfectly entitled to say so. This is a message board that tolerates all points of view, not a fan community that bans dissenting opinions.

Also, as midnight pointed out, such reviews have been part of the Miami Forum episode threads for several years, and they are enjoyed by many. If you find them unappealing, may I suggest not reading them.

3. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

I was thinking the exact same thing. It wasn't surprising because she had HUGE motive to kill him, the guy seemed like an asshole, but seriously: hundreds of idiots in Miami that the CSIs have dealt with and 'Oh I thought I was SAVING him,' would get her a super-sympathy fest.

And Jake. First of all, when the hell did he become the new Frank? I like Tripp better, possibly because he has a sense of humor, and he isn't intervering in a ship I happen to like. Hmph.

I'm starting to get used to the gaping plot holes and bad guest start acting on Miami, and so besides all of THOSE issues, I enjoyed this episode. Kept me interested, and even though I thought I would hate it because of my E/C-ishness, I liked Eric helping Natalia out. I still don't like her that much but she acted it out pretty well, and Eric being there for her reminded me of the sweet guy he is. Though I wouldn't really have minded if Stetler got her for it. :lol:

Can't wait for next week. :)

ETA:

I don't know if anyone responded yet. I know what you're going through because I also live in Souther California, but in Los Angeles, and a lot of my friends farther north or south are being evacuated. We aren't getting flames but there's a huge ring of smoke and a giant cloud of it around the valley, and it's hard to breathe outside. I hope that you and your family and friends are alright and that the fires are taken care of for all of us Californians sake.

Now, the episode: long story short.

A man, Doug, apparently a famous former football player, is woken up by a reporter who we later learn is updating his obituary while he's still alive. He is stabbed in the neck while she's talking to him. His body is scheduled to be frozen for later revival, and Alexx has to do a virtopsy.

Doug's memoribilia is found looted, and the CSIs trace prints back to a collector who bought them from Doug's manager, who comes in and has a black eye. He and Doug fought over the manager selling the stuff for money since Doug was spending like crazy. Then the CSIs trace fibers back to a girl who had an affair with Doug, who says she climbed in a few days prior to his morder to surprise him.

Natalia hurts her shoulder while firing a shotgun at the firing range, and when Ryan offers her an icepack, she gives him the cold shoulder (no pun intended). She later dislocates it while lifting heavy files and Eric helps her put it back into place. Stetler speaks to him about a new lab policy in relationships between colleagues, and Eric slips up about Calleigh/Jake accidently. Jake tells Cal he wants to cool off and slow things down. Calleigh confronts Eric and when he tries to explain she tells him she just wants to 'work the case.'

They discover that the manager went back to the house and discovered Doug's body, he cleaned out all the things he wouldn't want the public knowing about: alcohol bottles ect, and a picture of a young football player who they figure out is Doug's son (to the girl who left fibers at the scene and had an affair with him- the kid had died of kidney failure after Doug refused to donate his). He then called Doug's wife, who has been divorced to him for years. She called in the cops.

They talk to the girl Doug had an affair with and she confesses to stabbing him after he let his son down by refusing to donate a kidney to save his life. Horatio and Alexx discover that the removal of the knife, thirty minutes after the girl stabbed him and had left the scene, actually killed him. The girl started the process, but someone else finished it.

They go back to the place where they were freezing Doug's body and find the knife at the bottom of the freezing chamber. His divorced wife's print is on it and she confesses to removing it to kill him because of 'the world seeing him as a perfect man when in reality he was an ass.'

If I missed anything, I'm sorry. Again, hope everything is okay with you, neighbor to the south. :)

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

They wouldn't have even needed to be covert about their relationship...all Jake Jerkly said was that they couldn't work the *same* case. They COULD continue to see each other, but just work different cases, and Lord knows there are plenty of cases to be worked in a city like Miami...but would Jake settle for that? NO! The ass broke off his relationship with Calleigh completely. So yeah, I agree with you that it really shows how very little he really cared about Calleigh and was only in it for the good time. What an ass! :mad:

5. dogbert14

dogbert14 Rookie

Oh, so you were just kidding. Then I apologize. It seemed like a very serious review to me though because I have read reviews just like yours, except they were serious.

But in the future, I suggest adding a warning to posts like that. (Fairly) Newcomers to the site like me can take that seriously.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

Midnight...I laughed so hard over your review! I was at work, trying so very hard not to laugh out loud, but a couple of times a guffaw got out and turned people's heads. Thank God I work in a small office and not too many people turned to stare at me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are so right about Jerk's wardrobe. Fresh Prince circa 1992! :lol: .
    I thought about Horatio going to see Kyle after that scene you mentioned, but I never thought about him teaching the fine art of ass rape to him :lol:.
    I do hope you write a review for each episode, because they are so entertaining.

7. Painted_Shadow

Painted_Shadow Witness

Poor Eric and his brain injuries - he's apparently forgotten that Rick/Yelina ended OVER TWO YEARS AGO and is therefore really not all that clever a reference if you're discussing "new" policy changes. C'mon now, if anything it's probably in response to that horrible Nick/Natalia/Valera love/murder triangle.

8. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

It wasn't in response to that Nick/Natalia/Valera love/murder triangle. Just before Eric's conversation with Stetler, Natalia was reaching up to get a box and her shoulder popped out of socket causing her not to be able to hold on to the box. The box fell just missing Natalia's head. Eric wanted her to go to a doctor about her shoulder but she didn't want to because it'd be on her record and she was afraid it'd mess up her chances to qualify to carry a gun. So Eric popped her shoulder back in place, which apparently HURT. So Eric had her put her right arm across her chest with her left hand laying flat against the front of her left shoulder. Eric was telling her to breath and holding her so she wouldn't faint from the pain. Stetler not knowing all this just saw Eric hugging Natalia. I think Eric's being shot in the head has affected his deductive reasoning because he didn't seem able to figure out Stetler had seen him holding Natalia like he was hugging her. Eric ended up cluing Stetler in about Calleigh and Jake.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Its just Stetler being the "butt" that he is trying to cause trouble in the lab!! He doesn't want anyone else to be happy because he's not gettin' any from Yelina anymore.

What has me wondering is what H will say about it! He's such a gushy lovey kinda guy, I couldn't imagine him taking Stetler's side on this "new" possible policy! I hope eventually it will come to his attention & H will jump in his face about it! :devil:

BTW, lovely recap CAROLYN318 ;)

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Source: Futon Critic

CSI: MIAMI
    Air Date: Monday, February 18, 2008
    Time Slot: 10:00 PM-11:00 PM EST on CBS
    Episode Title: (#605) "Deep Freeze" (Repeat)

"Deep Freeze" - When a sports legend is murdered, the investigation hits a snag when the lab loses the body, on a rebroadcast of CSI: MIAMI, Monday, Feb. 18 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. (Originally broadcast 10/22/07)

SERIES REGULARS:

Horatio Caine: David Caruso
    Calleigh Duquesne: Emily Procter
    Eric Delko: Adam Rodriguez
    Alexx Woods: Khandi Alexander
    Ryan Wolfe: Jonathan Togo
    Det. Frank Tripp: Rex Linn
    Natalia Boa Vista: Eva La Rue

RECURRING CAST:

Valera: Boti Bliss
    Rick Stetler: David Lee Smith
    Jake Berkeley: Johnny Whitworth
    Heather Amberson: Vivan Dugre
    Samantha Barrish: Jessica Szohr
    Rich Caprioto: Chris William Martin

GUEST CAST:

Doug McClain: Dale Midkiff
    Elissa McClain: Dina Meyer
    Dr. Werner: Klein Paul Schulze
    Martin Wilson: Flex Alexander
    Rita Sullivan: Stana Katic
    Wendy Legassic: Claire Coffee
    Theo Knight:. Lucas Caleb Rooney
    April Stapleton: Marita De Leon

Written by: Elizabeth Devine

Directed by: Sam Hill

RATING: TV14-DLSV

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

****** Re: CSI:Miami Season 6 **Spoiler Lab** #4 - Proceed At Own R [Re: Florry86]
    #1356314 - Tue Feb 19 2008 04:52 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
    INTHEWIND said
    Okay, I just watched "Deep Freeze" with the bullet points. They weren't particularly distracting; however, I usually watch and read or am on the computer at the same time. This presents a real problem. Each time I heard the bullet point "shot" it was gone before I had a chance to read it. I think I only caught two or three.
    Any other thoughts about these as shown tonight *******
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't distracted only because i've already seen the epi, but if your a viewer who's never seen it then it might be annoying to them.

Some of the bullets went by too quick, i'd miss the last few words of a sentence.

It was a nice attempt to keep viewers interested but I really didn't think the facts were all that great. They were boring & some seemed just "thrown" in so that they could have something to say about it.
    One said "Khandi had to act like it was below 0 in this scene"....REALLY?? Ya don't say??? :rolleyes:

I was expecting something better in the bullet points. Seemed lame, in my opinion.
    Maybe next week in 'Sunblock' they'll have some better "facts" to give us.

Still a good epi though :D

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I did like this ep watching it again. But I thought the bullet points were interesting, and agree that they didn't stick around long enough to read.

Also with all the hype I thought that there would be more of them. Two minutes into the ep and there was nothing to perk interest, plus there was a lot of space between each point. If they are going to do it perhaps take a lesson from Pop Up Video and do more to make the money spent worthwhile.

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

some of the points were pretty obvious...but the noise they made were pretty cool :lol: I tivod it, so i could pause to catch them, but the time bar thing went right through them..ah well, i could rewind when i missed them.

It would have been better with more of them like pop up video, but it is still a neat idea.

14. crimekat

crimekat Hit and Run

Here Rick is trying to help the lab again and Delko spilled the beans. To bad they did not do a scene of Rick and Jake as Rick is telling him how he and Calleigh can not date due to department policy.