Eddie Cahill

CSI Files

Captain
<p><font color=yellow>Eddie Cahill</font>'s character, Don Flack, has always been on hand to provide a barbed quip or an intense grilling, but in <i>CSI: New York</i>'s fifth season, the brash homicide detective has moved into the spotlight. In the fifth season opener, <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/newyork/season5/veritas.shtml">"Veritas"</a>, audiences were introduced to Flack's younger sister, Samantha (<font color=yellow>Kathleen Munroe</font>), and the siblings' contentious relationship when her name popped up during the course of an investigation. But it hasn't been all work and no play for the good detective--he also started a relationship with colleague Jessica Angell (<font color=yellow>Emmanuelle Vaugier</font>). Cahill spoke with CSI Files' <font color=yellow>Kristine Huntley</font> about the attention his character has gotten this season, the new relationships that have opened up for him and the hot spot Flack found himself in after a suspect died in his custody.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> Fifth season has been a great season for you so far! We've met Flack's sister, he's got a love interest now and he had a bit of an ordeal at work. Why do you think the attention has turned to Flack this season?<p><b>Eddie Cahill:</b> One, I truly don't know and two, I think it was just probably time. It was time. The character's been around [long enough] and the writers and myself have played around with him enough that we felt ready to get into some more stuff. I guess it just made sense. Everyone else was getting something going and they could put a little focus on Flack. From a personal standpoint, I don't think it could have been timed out any better because I was thinking about being in the fifth season of the show and suddenly, something that dawned on me [was that], more than any other season before, I'm less and less concerned with making mistakes. I might be at a point where I'm not worried about making a mistake with the character. To then have things like this thrown into the mix, I get to approach them from more of a secure standpoint, which just makes the experience more complete--when you're not self conscious, when you're not just focused on not screwing it all up! You're focused on it, but when you're not too concerned with f---ing up with it.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> I imagine you feel like you know him after five seasons.<p><b>Cahill:</b> I do, yeah. And that kind of snuck up on me and sort of took me by surprise. I mean it's been going that way probably for the last season and a half, but yeah I feel good.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> We've seen Flack's younger sister, Sam, twice, and the two are definitely different. Do you think the dynamic is informed by the fact that Flack is something of the golden child, following in his father's footsteps?<p><b>Cahill:</b> I think in some respects my opinion of that is that that might be the way she sees the situation. That question was asked from Sam's perspective in a way. I don't know that Flack is or isn't the golden child. I certainly don't think he walks on water. I think he might have less obvious issues. He's got his own way of dealing with whatever [those issues are]. She certainly, I mean she said it in so many words, that to Sam he is [the golden child]. And I don't think that's necessarily true. I don't know if we'll ever figure out why, but just for my own personal belief, I don't think anybody's perfect. But I do understand that in sibling relationships or even friend relationships, one or the other or both parties find themselves [saying], "I wouldn't have these problems [if I were you]." But I like the dynamic. And I think Kathleen Munroe is great. That's another thing, too--having the experience of doing this as long as I have, to have an actress like that come in. It was just so amazing how so much of it was unspoken. It just kind of clicked, and she just kind of fell right in stride. It gave me sort of a challenge and just informed the character so much to have a different sort of relationship.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> There really is a great sibling-like dynamic between you two!<p><b>Cahill:</b> That kind of surprised me. Because you read the script and you never know--it all moves so fast, you don't quite know how it's going to play out. That was a real pleasant surprise, when I got down there. I had this experience with a guest star the other day, this kid who was playing a Nazi-kind of character. This kid was so poised, he was fucking scary in so many ways, that suddenly I find myself five seasons into this show going, "What the hell do I do here? I can't just dance around this guy. I can't Flack him until the scene's over, it's just not going to work with him!" And it was really kind of fascinating. On the same token, to have someone like Kathleen come in, well I can't treat her [like some ordinary suspect]. A lot of experiences on this show are dealing with Mac, dealing with Danny, or dealing with any one of our other characters, and then dealing with people who he for the most part thinks are guilty or actually are guilty, and he's got kind of a way of doing that. There have been a couple of moments this season where I've been forced rethink [my approach], where maybe the snark's not going to work or the kind of just bearing down isn't going to work, where I have to change it up. So that's the joy of having different qualities of relationships pop up.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> Obviously Flack had a turning point when he realized that Sam was struggling with an alcohol problem. How do you think that will inform their relationship on his part?<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full interviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/interviews/eddie_cahill4.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

Great review, Kristine! :D

I liked his insight about the various relationships Flack has with the other characters, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of that. I'm especially hoping that we do get to see more Sam in the future, although I'm bummed that it probably won't be until next season. I think they could incorporate more personal tidbits in the episodes without taking away from the Big Action and whatnot. I'd love to see Flack with his sister and, as Eddie mentioned, his father. (Not to mention that I'd love to see family moments for the other characters - like Adam - and friendship moments between our team members off the clock - Danny and Flack at the bar in "Comes Around", anyone? :D) We've been waiting for Papa Flack since "The Fall" during season one, and I'd like to see their father/son dynamic onscreen.

I think my favorite thing to see would be Flack having to get past his tendency to keep other people at arm's length and ask for help - I'd like to see Flack in a more vulnerable position, outside his comfort zone. *cough* Bonus points if there are man-tears *cough* ;)

The tidbits we got about some upcoming stuff were fun, too - characters like Flack give me a reason to make sure I turn on the show every Wednesday. ;)

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it! :D

As always, great interview Kristine! :) Some very interesting stuff, I do love Eddie interviews.

Thanks for a great interview, Kristine! :D

I love how Eddie described Flack as an 'at arm's length' kind of guy. It's actually a very accurate description of the character as we can he see with his relationships on the show.

Looking forward to seeing him speak Gaelic. I wonder how that would turn out.

Cahill: One day--and I'm in no rush for this to happen--I would like to, when the time is right, [see] the father. I think there could be something in that. Like every other relationship we've seen, I'd like to see it done in a similar way. The nice thing about having Sam there is, certainly she's been involved in the case. I would just like that done the way we've done the other two [relationships]. But that's one thing, since season one, episode one, I've been curious about the dad. I'd want to hold out to get the right actor and really figure out what [that relationship] would be.
I'd love to see Flack, Sr. as well. That would be really something. Brian Dennehy as Flack's old man? Interesting...

Wonderful interview! I enjoyed reading and it the questions were well thought out. I'd love to see Flack, Sr. on the show.

Thanks, guys! :D Glad you enjoyed.

I think my favorite thing to see would be Flack having to get past his tendency to keep other people at arm's length and ask for help - I'd like to see Flack in a more vulnerable position, outside his comfort zone. *cough* Bonus points if there are man-tears *cough* ;)

Thanks for a great interview, Kristine! :D

I love how Eddie described Flack as an 'at arm's length' kind of guy. It's actually a very accurate description of the character as we can he see with his relationships on the show.

Yeah, I really enjoyed what he had to say about Flack's boundaries with other people, and it made me rethink Flack a bit. It really makes a lot of sense with how he is with people.

I'm not sure I want to/can see Flack crying, but it would be nice to see those boundaries tested a bit. I do like that they kind of were with Sam in "Dead Inside" and I found his reaction to Sam and her struggles very in character. I liked seeing that side of Flack--he obviously cares a great deal about her, but wasn't going to push her to talk to him if she wasn't ready. I think in that way, he treated her like he'd want to be treated himself.

Great interview. There were so many questions asked of Eddie and answered by him that I have been writing about too in my CSI NY book over the past 4 years when I started it. Such as how Flack is always there for everyone and hardly anyone pays him the same courtsey. The Danny/Flack interaction and those chase scenes!! between them. Not to mention how great they are as friends.

I suggested if ever there was a spin-off Eddie and Carmine would be great together. bringing their characters to the fore.:drool:

Back