Don't Try This At Home

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Aug 7, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

A South Dakota man tries to prove CSI wrong and accidentally dies in the process.

<font color=yellow>Earl F. Ellwanger Jr</font>, a 55-year-old man from Provo, South Dakota, was home with family members on the evening of Tuesday, July 31. According to Fall River County Sheriff <font color=yellow>Jeff Tarrell</font>, Ellwanger had watched an episode of CSI in which the team proved that a woman could not have shot herself in the stomach with a shotgun. Afterward, he decided to prove the theory wrong.

Ellwanger used his own shotgun to disprove the characters' conclusion. "He decided to show that the program was incorrect and didn't realize the shotgun was loaded," Tarrell said. The result was that Ellwanger ended up gravely injured.

Ellwanger accidentally shot himself at around 7:00 PM and was transported by ambulance to Minnekahta Junction. From here, he was taken on a Black Hills LifeFlight aircraft to the Rapid City Regional Hospital. Despite having medical care, Ellwanger succumbed to his wounds on Thursday, August 2. He was survived by his mother, his fiancée, two sons and three grandchildren.

The original article is from The Rapid City Journal.<center></center>

2. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

Anyone know which episode he could have been watching?

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Nope, I know Fay asked a question about a similar episode, but I don't think anyone answered it.

It sounds like a familiar scenario, like I may have seen it in an episode, but I can't place it. :)

eta: OK, I have thought of a similar episode. In 'You've Got Male' (season 2) Catherine and Nick investigate the shooting of a man in what looks like a hunting accident. He was shot in the stomach and there is a shot gun next to him, and I think they may discuss whether it was possible for the guy to have shot himself in the stomach with it, as the bullet was missing so they couldn't do a comparison that way. But the shotgun hadn't been fired (and in the end find a handgun in the lake nearby, which was what he used). It's not quite the same story, but it's the only one I can think of. :p

eta (again): Because I wasn't sure about this one, and I was a bit bored, I looked up the story. If you search for it, some places have amended or updated the news story to say that he was watching a show called 'Forensic Files' and not CSI as previously reported. Either way, he had a family and it is a tragedy, but these things definately shouldn't be tried at home!

4. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

That's insane. D: And yeah, keep that stuff ON the tv shows please. Not in reality.

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Yeah, I agree

I just hope the family doesn't try to sue CBS or TPTB...people are way too eager to do things like that today when this type of thing happens.

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Crikey. :eek:

^^ I really hope those people don't have the nerve to sue. He was a grown man capable of making his own decisions and should be smart enough not to be overly influenced by a television show -- not the show's fault if they depict something and he had enough gumption to try it for himself. People are going to have a field day with that one.

Accidentally shot himself. :rolleyes: Sheesh. I don't wish that on anyone and I'm sorry the guy didn't make it but even I wouldn't grab an EMPTY shotgun and try it.

^ It's interesting that it was reported he was watching CSI, when he wasn't. Ah well, there's no such thing as bad publicity as they say.

7. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I know it's morbid to think about it, but I have to say, he may have actually managed to prove the theory wrong. After all he did shoot himself with the shotgun...interesting...

8. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

And the Darwin Award goes too...

9. sanderslove

sanderslove Police Officer

^^ We are thinking the same thing!! :lol:

Why wouldn't he check to see if it was loaded?!!??! comon sence people!

10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Can a dead person receive one of Bill Engvall's signs?

11. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

OMG, this is unbelievable. I mean, shouldn't the man have checked if the gun was loaded before placing it right next to himself?

And doing so to prove the forensic show wrong? :eek:

12. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Yes, he definitely deserves a Darwin Award. What was he thinking (or not thinking) not checking the shotgun before performing his "experiment"?

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I believe a similar episode was "You've Got Male" ?

But this is a tragic incident. And may he rest in peace.