Don't Shoot Me; I'm Only the Piano Player (Warrick/Sara)

Here's a new chapter :p The cheese factor is very high so I apologize in advance :lol: :p
---

He had taken her out to the shops near the Strip—the most expensive shops he knew of in Vegas. He gave her his credit card and told her to pick out the most beautiful most extravagant dress she could possibly find. He told her not to worry about money as much as she protested. He booked the best suite he could find in the Palermo. He wanted this night to be absolutely perfect. She deserved only the best.

It had been about four months now since the incident with Trey had occurred and Sara was finally able to sleep at night. Brass was still working around the clock, checking for any signs of him in the area but so far nothing had come up. It was almost as if Trey had vanished into thin air. As much as Warrick wanted to kill the son of a bitch he was relieved that he was nowhere near Sara. She had been through enough as it was.

He stared at himself in the mirror and fixed his tie, smoothing down the sides of his tuxedo with his hands. He tried not to smile at the small black box sitting on the table in front of him. The day he had sent Sara to find a dress he had gone to pick it up. He had ordered it a few weeks prior from one of the few reputable jewelers in Vegas. It had a silver band that embraced three small diamonds at the very top. He was going to ask her to marry him.

As the final touch he applied a small bottle of cologne had grabbed from off the vanity. It was probably one of the single most expensive items Warrick Brown owned; it had been a very rare type of cologne he had purchased years ago when he went to France. Since it was so small and so expensive, he only wore it on special occasions. Sara always liked his cologne, and this occasion was the definition of special.

After rigorously going over every single detail of his tuxedo several times he turned around as she emerged from the master bathroom. Oh she was always gorgeous and lovely in his eyes but there were not enough words to describe the way she looked at this very moment.

He hadn’t seen the dress yet and Sara had hidden it safe in its box under their bed until tonight to surprise him. It was long and embraced the curves and shape of her legs, stopping just above her ankles. It was a dark red color—a cross between burgundy and maroon, perhaps—and the hem dipped so that it rested just above her heart. She was wearing a small necklace- nothing too flashy- but Warrick thought it accented the entire thing perfectly. Her lips were almost perfectly matching the shade of her dress and her eyes glittered in the evening sunlight.

“Oh Sara…” Warrick whispered. If he didn’t know better he would’ve thought she was an angel, her small frame encircled with the day’s remaining purple and orange sunlight. “You look absolutely beautiful.” He wished he could think of some over term.

She shot him a smile that instantly warmed his heart as she turned around so he could see the back. He had missed that smile of hers. To his surprise the material ended a lot lower than he would suspect for her, making its mark just above her abdomen so he could see the muscles in her back. “Could you tie this for me?” she asked him.

“Hey, I was still enjoying the view,” Warrick shot her a grin as he walked over and grabbed the ties from her hands, tying it securely but gently around her neck. “You surprised me, girl. This thing ends pretty low…” he told her.

She let out a squeak when she felt his hand roaming the exposed skin on her back and she immediately flipped around at the sound of Warrick’s laughter. “Warrick!” she shouted, “I told you not to do that!”

“I’m sorry, I must’ve forgotten,” Warrick said, clearing his throat. Oh he remembered, all right.

She shot him a look before she turned around and headed out of the bedroom down the hallway of the suite. “So where are we going for dinner?” she curiously asked. “I’m surprised you’ve been able to keep quiet about it for all this time.”

”Hey, I can keep a secret or two,” Warrick protested as he followed her down the hallway where she grabbed a small black clutch to carry along with her. “But you’ll like it, I’ll tell you that much.”

“Oh I don’t doubt that,” she smiled at him, tucking a brown curl behind her ear. “So far this has been… magical. Like a fairy-tale,” she said. “God, I feel like Alice in Wonderland,” she giggled.

“That’s the whole point,” Warrick whispered, wrapping both arms around her waist and gently pulling her against him. “That’s the whole point girl-- I wanted this night to be perfect. If you want fresh cut roses on the table, I’ll go pick them for you. If you want to be swept off your feet by a knight in shining armor I’d gladly oblige.”

Sara let out a sigh as he slowly rocked them back and forth from side-to-side and he gently placed kisses up and down her neck. “Mm… you spoil me, you know that, right? I could get used to this.”

“Well I get to spoil you tonight, so you better get used to this,” Warrick murmured into her ear. “We should go down to dinner though so we’re not late.”

“Alright, if you insist.”

They left their room and headed down to the elevators where Warrick let Sara go in first before following behind her. He had to restrain himself from proposing to her in an elevator. He just wanted to run away with her and call her his wife but he wanted it to be special. Right now it felt as though he was dreaming; everything was absolutely perfect and every time he saw her smile or heard her laugh he could feel his heart flutter.

And at the present moment Sara Sidle felt like a princess. It had taken her practically thirty-six years to feel this way but she didn’t care. She had found the one person most women wait a lifetime to meet. She had met her prince charming and she was going to soak in her bliss for as long as she wanted. She never knew love could do that to someone.

The elevator doors opened and Warrick looked over at Sara with a smile, linking his arm around hers as they stepped out into the hotel lobby. There was a man in the corner dressed in a waiter’s uniform and he waved them over, a white towel thrown over his arm.

“Oh wow, Warrick,” Sara whispered as they headed into the restaurant connected to the hotel. The carpet was a deep shade of red, almost matching Sara’s dress and the walls were a beige color with gold lining around the beams. Every table—very full now with tourists and Vegas residents—was garnished with flowers, wine glasses and utensils of every shape and size. “This is… I’ve always wanted to come here, this place is so…” she trailed off, looking above them at the large chandelier.

Warrick tried not to grin too, too big as he kept quiet, not wanting to ruin the surprise. Their waiter guided them through the restaurant and Sara became quite confused when she found they were exiting. “Warrick, where are we going?” she asked him.

“You’ll see,” he smiled at her as they stopped in front of another door. “Do you trust me?” he asked her.

She shot him another one of her signature smiles just like he knew she would. “Of course,” she whispered.

“I’m glad,” Warrick smiled back at her as he made a motion at the waiter and he opened both of the large china doors in front of them.

“Warrick, what’s—oh my goodness!” Sara gasped out the rest in pure astonishment as she took in the scene in front of her. There was a small table out on the balcony and two chairs on either side. On the table was a full vase of red roses between two lit candlesticks which illuminated the entire area. There weren’t any other people around, she noticed. It wasn’t a windy night. There were stars in the sky.

“I sure hope that’s a good gasp,” Warrick chuckled as he glanced over at her. She jumped into his arms and he held her, just enjoying being there with her.

“Warrick, this is absolutely beautiful,” Sara whispered. “How were you able to—“

“Shh, don’t worry about that,” Warrick whispered back. “I don’t want you to worry about anything tonight, Sara. Tonight is all about you and me, okay? Nothing else matters.”

At that very moment Sara fell in love with Warrick Brown all over again.

“Let’s go sit down,” Warrick told her, walking over to her seat and pulling it out for her. She shot him another grateful smile as she sat down and he pushed her closer to the table, joining her in his spot across from her.

“Wine, Madam?” the waiter asked her, holding up a clear bottle with a very intricate design around the label.

“Yes, thank you,” Sara told him.

”May I?” Warrick asked the waiter who only nodded and walked off as Warrick took the bottle from his hands and popped the cork, making Sara giggle as it fizzed at the top. “Have I ever told you how much I like your giggle?” he asked her as he carefully poured Sara the first glass.

“You’ve told me a lot of things,” she beamed over at him as he poured a glass for himself before setting the bottle back down on the table.

“And they’re all true,” Warrick smiled, holding his glass up after he had taken a sip. “I really hope you’re having a good time so far.”

”Warrick,” Sara started, shaking her head as she tried not to laugh. “There’s no place I’d rather be. This has all been perfect… this is what I used to dream about when I was a little girl.”

“Good,” Warrick whispered, reaching across the table with his free hand and searching for hers. She brought it up from her lap and he slowly entwined his fingers with hers. “It may sound corny, but just seeing you smile has made this the best night of my life.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, Mr. Brown,” Sara laughed.

“No, really!” Warrick protested. Smooth. She thinks you’re joking, Warrick. Don’t try and take a page from the cheesy cliché romance movie and just speak your mind. “Sara… I wish I could make what I’m about to say make sense somehow, but… ever since that night all those months ago, I just wanted to see you smile or laugh again, girl. I wanted to do whatever it took to see you happy again. Seeing you happy makes me happy. You have no idea how much it thrills me to see you so happy.”

“Warrick…” Sara whispered, giving his hand a little squeeze. “Warrick, you were making me happy…” she told him. “Just by being there with me, you helped more than you can ever imagine. I kept wondering what I had done right to deserve you… you were there with me, morning, day and night at my bedside, with a hot bowl of soup in your hands or there to offer a shoulder to cry on. I’ve… I’ve never had that before, Warrick.”

“Well that changes now, then,” Warrick softly told her, his other hand moving so that it was sandwiching hers between both of his. “From now on, you’re never going to have to do anything by yourself ever again. I’m always going to be there with you to help every step of the way.”

Warrick wanted to wait to do this until after dinner, but he just couldn’t hold it off any longer. Sara watched as he reached into the pocket of his tuxedo and pulled out something that he kept hidden in his fist. She could only watch as he pushed his chair away from the table and kneeled down on his right knee in front of her.

Warrick felt like he was high as a kite as he held the small black box up in his palm for Sara to see. It was the one moment you always dreamed of but never thought would happen. “Sara Sidle…” he started, his voice wavering on pure nervousness and a bit of shyness. “…will you marry me?” he finally asked, opening the box up for her to see.

Sara was frozen in place as she looked at the black box in Warrick’s hand to his face, to his face back to the box. Her mind was slapping her in the face and screaming at her to say something, anything but she couldn’t. For the first time in her life she had been struck speechless. It had to be a fairy-tale. This sort of thing didn’t happen to people like her. It happened to people like Cinderella, not Sara Sidle.

Never in her wildest dreams did she think this moment would actually come. She had always been convinced her relationships had been nothing but crap—her first boyfriend in college had slept with at least four other girls. Mr. Ken Fuller, hazel eyes, Delta Airlines bathroom—he had been a stupid bet made by her friends. She had most definitely lost that one.

But then there was Warrick. The relationship she had with him was the only one she had ever experienced where she didn’t feel like she was fooling herself to be happy. He always knew just what to say or how to act, he always knew exactly what she needed or wanted. It was if they had been made for each other, destined to—

No, that couldn’t be right. Her mother had always told her she would amount to nothing but a slut. She was reminded of that at least six times a day until her thirteenth birthday. Her father in his drunken glory had told her everyday as she left for school that her clothes made her look like the tramp she was and that she could burn in hell just like her damned mother see if he cared it served them right for being ungrateful—

“Sara.”

Warrick said her name to free her from her trance. He could sense the disbelief in her eyes and knew what must be going through her mind. But he wasn’t fooling her… it wasn’t some sort of sick joke, he meant it and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her and no one else. No other woman even compared to who she was.

“Sara, look at me,” Warrick softly told her, gently moving her head so that she was looking at him again. “I’m serious, girl… I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I… I can’t imagine trying to spend it with someone else. A life without you would be empty. I don’t want emptiness, Sara. I just want to go through life with the woman I love by my side.”

“Warrick…” Sara could feel the tears forming in her eyes fast and before she could try and stubbornly wipe them away they were already falling down her face. “Oh Warrick!” she wailed, falling forward and wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. Warrick practically dropped the ring and the box but he returned the embrace. “I love you too,” she cried into his shoulder. “I love you too!”

Warrick cried his hardest not to start crying along with her but at this rate he stood no chance. “Is that a yes?” he laughed.

She pulled away and looked at him through tear-stained eyes. She could feel another lump in her throat rising just from the look he was giving her. She knew she must look like hell, her make-up was running and her hair was ruined but he was still looking at her like she was the most beautiful woman on earth. “Yes,” she whispered.

Warrick pulled them both to their feet and gently grabbed her right hand, pulling it in front of him so he could put the ring on her finger. He slid it on with no trouble—it was a perfect fit. The diamonds glittered in the moonlight and the small flames of the candlelight on the table. “Good,” he whispered to her. “Because I must say that I’m already very anxious to call you my wife.”

They leaned forward and kissed and Sara just wished she could be lost in the sensation for eternity. For the first time she was content with life. She didn’t care if anyone saw her and Warrick, actually what she really wanted was to run to the end of the balcony and scream it at the top of her lungs. She wasn’t worried about anything, which truly was an accomplishment for her. All that mattered was Warrick, that she was here with Warrick and they loved each other.

When they pulled away for air Warrick looked at her and shot her a smile, still gently rubbing her hands with his thumbs. “That ring looks quite good on you if I do say so myself.”

Sara just laughed as he tenderly wiped away her tears with his fingertips while she admired the ring. “It’s beautiful, Warrick,” she told him, “It fits perfectly… how did you know?”

Warrick couldn’t help but chuckle. “I actually asked Cath to fix me a mold so I could get it just right. I took it while you were asleep one night.”

Sara giggled. “I bet everyone in the lab had a field day about that.”

“I didn’t tell her why I needed it,” Warrick smiled. “And by the way, I apologize for the cheese factor of my long monologue earlier…”

“Hey,” Sara stopped him, raising an eyebrow. “I’m a woman,” she whispered, leaning closer so that her face was mere inches from his. “We like cheesy. This is usually the part in the movie where we’re fighting over the box of Kleenex.”

“If you say so,” Warrick grinned, brushing a hand against her cheek. “So would you like to sit down and finish our dinner, which I don’t think we ever got to start,” he laughed.

“As strange as it may sound I’m actually not hungry anymore…” Sara whispered, nuzzling her nose against his. “I don’t want this moment to end…”

“Then that makes two of us,” Warrick whispered back, placing a hand on her back as he pulled her close, resting his head just above hers. “That makes two of us, Sara.”

For moments, there was just the two of them. And then there was a gunshot.

Ok, I just caught up with this whole story now, and you've done a terrific job. I really like the last chapter, and no, the cheese factor wasnt' too high, considering all Sara had been through. Good job.

Thank you very much catey1234! I'm glad you've enjoyed the story :)

And thanks for everyone else who has been reading and/or reviewing! This is going to be the last chapter, and as always I do not own CSI: or any of its affiliates and I do not own the lyrics or song to Your Song by Elton John :p
---

As the shot rang out through the air Sara shrieked and Warrick instinctively pulled her to him in a protective embrace. With an arm wrapped around her shoulders he reached into his pocket with the other and pulled it out—the one thing that had been able to help him sleep at night. The one thing he took with him everywhere he went.

The gun that he couldn’t wait to fire at the son of a bitch that had broken the only thing he had ever loved.

The young waiter that had been at their table had his hands over his head in surrender as heavy footsteps approached behind him. He was barely twenty and this had not been in the job description.

“Sorry to break up the little engagement party.” His voice was venomous as he walked through the twin china doors with his .9 millimeter pistol in front of him. “But Sara, I believe you and I had a little unfinished business to attend to,” Trey sneered evilly at her.

“Shut up, you son of a bitch,” Warrick hissed, trying to block Sara’s view of Trey and Trey’s view of Sara. “You’re never laying another hand on her again. Coming back here was the stupidest thing you could’ve done.”

“Oh do be quiet,” Trey hushed. “I’ll deal with you later.” He locked his eyes on Sara’s shaking form. “Now just let Sara and I talk… that never hurt anything, did it?”

“Forget it,” Warrick spat, keeping the gun held in front of them as a warning. “If you even breathe on her funny you’re a dead man. I’ve been wanting to do this for a very long time.”

“Well then that makes two of us,” Trey’s eyes narrowed as he clicked the hammer of his own pistol. He shot a look over at the scared young waiter cowering in the corner of the balcony, currently using his serving platter as a shield. “You,” he pointed to him. “This atmosphere is rather… dull. How about some music?”

“He can’t be serious,” Sara whispered just softly enough so that Warrick could hear her.

“He’s crazy,” Warrick muttered.

“Now!” Trey shouted at the waiter when he didn’t move. The kid just nodded quickly and got to his feet shakily, heading back into the restaurant. “Now that’s service,” he smiled over at Warrick and Sara as he returned his attention to the two of them.

The speakers outside the restaurant cracked a little before a soft smooth cello and bass was audible from both.

“I wanted you to hear this song after dinner,” Warrick told Sara, trying to avert her attention to something other than the gun pointed at them both. “I had it all planned out… a nice bottle of wine, soft music, dancing…”

It's a little bit funny this feeling insideI

'm not one of those who can easily hide

I don't have much money but boy if I did

I'd buy a big house where we both could live

“I would’ve liked that,” Sara whispered to him, almost forgetting Trey was there. Slow-dancing with Warrick was all she needed to take her mind off of the currently gun pointed at them.

“When this is over, Sara,” Warrick continued, “We can go somewhere away from Vegas just the two of us and try this again.”

Sara nodded in agreement, a smile slowly crossing her face. “I’m tired of the flashing lights.”

“Me too,” Warrick smiled back.

“Um, hello?” Trey asked, waving the gun in front of him, getting annoyed that they were now completely ignoring his presence. “Have you stopped to think that there isn’t going to be a next time, Mr. Warrick Brown? By the time this is over your little friends are going to be taking away three bodies.”

“What?” Sara whispered in disbelief. Three? Who else could he possibly be planning on killing?

“Sara my dear, surely you don’t believe I’m planning on getting out of here alive,” Trey chuckled. “Once I’ve disposed of you both the cops will have no reason not to kill me. That’s why I’ve brought three bullets with me; one for your precious prince charming, one for you my darling, and then one for me.”

“You’re crazy,” Warrick hissed, his grip around Sara tightening as he glared at Trey, keeping his own gun steady in front of them. “You can try all you want but you’re going to waste those other two bullets you brought for us. We’re not going anywhere.”

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no

Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show

I know it's not much but it's the best I can do

My gift is my song and this one's for you

“You wouldn’t risk my bullet traveling faster than yours now Warrick, would you?” Trey asked, slowly directing the barrel of his gun from Warrick to Sara. Warrick tensed. “Go ahead, shoot me,” Trey prompted. “I dare you. But just know that if you make one mistake you’re going to be covered in Sara’s blood—“

ENOUGH!” Warrick shouted when he felt Sara’s body resuming to shake again in his arms. “I knew you were pathetic man but this is ridiculous,” he hissed at him. “You have to threaten Sara to act tough? Is that how you get off?”

“I would watch what you say to me, Warrick,” Trey growled. “I have a very bad temper, as Sara has already learned.”

“Then listen to me,” Warrick told him. “This is what we’re going to do.” Looking down at Sara for a moment, he leaned toward her and whispered something into her ear. Sara was reluctant but finally agreed and hesitantly pulled away from their embrace.

“Where is she going?” Trey immediately asked, eyeing the pair suspiciously. “She’s not leaving.”

“She’s not going anywhere,” Warrick explained. “She’s just going to stand behind me. Then you and I can handle this like men.”

“Warrick!” Sara immediately stopped in her tracks. “You didn’t--!” He hadn’t mentioned that part to her. If he got hurt because of her she would never forgive herself.

“It’s okay Sara,” Warrick assured her, gently nudging her behind him with his free arm as he kept his other holding the gun at Trey. “Just go.”

Sara didn’t budge, staring at Warrick with wide, uncertain eyes. “Warrick…”

“Sara, I promise,” Warrick soothingly told her. Despite everything that was going on, including the gun being pointed at them, his voice was still cool and calm to her. “It’s going to be okay. Just get behind me.” It took a minute, but Sara finally complied and stood behind Warrick who blocked her with his own body as a protective shield.

“Trying to be the hero, huh?” Trey asked with a sneer. “It’s going to come at a price. Once I’m finished with you everyone here can experience a real man take your woman.”

“Warrick—“ Sara trembled.

“Just listen to the song Sara, okay?” Warrick whispered to her, his gaze at Trey unwavering. “Don’t think about him. Just listen to the song… I wanted this to be our song. I’m sorry it didn’t quite work out that way. I’ll make it up to you when this over. Remember what I said?”

And you can tell everybody this is your song

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

I hope you don't mindI hope you don't mind that I put down in words

How wonderful life is while you're in the world

“Yeah,” Sara whispered, the uncertainty still there. “But Warrick—“

“Don’t worry about it Sara, just listen to the song and this will be over soon,” Warrick assured her. Then turning his attention back to Trey, a smirk played on his lips. “What are you going to do now?” he asked him.

Trey cocked the gun in his hand, keeping it steadily on Warrick the entire time as his gaze wavered from the gun being pointed at him, to Warrick’s face, to Sara and then back again. This wasn’t how this was supposed to go. The police could arrive at any minute now. Time was running out.

So he decided to use the last card he had up his sleeve. He wasn’t going to; it was beneath him. But it was the last act of a desperate man, and he was desperate. “Sara,” Trey addressed her.

Warrick tried to block Sara’s view of Trey and his view of her, but that didn’t stop him from talking.

“Come here,” Trey told her.

“Who do you think she is?” Warrick scoffed. “She’s not an idiot. She’s not going to just go over there—“ While Warrick was distracted a gunshot rang through the air and Sara as well as several other restaurant patrons screamed as red sprayed her face and her dress. Warrick fell back against the balcony grasping his bloody shoulder with the hand the gun had been positioned in.

“Stop it!” Sara shrieked. “Don’t hurt him!” She ripped a piece of material from the bottom of her dress and tore it into long strips with her teeth as she tried to tend to Warrick’s wound.

“Sara,don’t… worry about me,” Warrick winced. “Get behind me!” He had to protect her- that was his only decision. There was no plan B. If he couldn’t protect her, then no one could. He wasn’t about to let her get hurt again. But the bullet Trey had fired at him had hit his shoulder square-on and blood was seeping through his fingers and Sara’s makeshift bandages quickly. The pain was excruciating.

“Sara,” Trey addressed her again. He waved her over with his gun, still smoking from his gun. “Come here, or I’ll finish him off right now!”

“Sara, no,” Warrick tried to tell her. “Don’t go over to him, I have my gun,” he tried to reassure her. But with his gun-hand pressing against his wound and the fact that he was losing strength altogether, Sara knew that Trey would be faster. She had no choice.

“I’m sorry Warrick,” Sara whispered to him. After tying the remaining pieces of the ripped material from her dress around his wound to try and stop blood loss as much as possible, Sara got to her feet, swallowed her nerves and started to walk over to Trey.

“Good girl,” Trey smiled.

“Sara, no!” Warrick shouted, trying to reach for her but his attempts were in vain.

I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss

Well a few of the verses well they've got me quite cross

But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song

It's for people like you that keep it turned on

Once Sara was in arm’s reach Trey grabbed her around the waist and pulled her to him, inhaling the smell of her perfume now mingled with the coppery fumes of Warrick’s blood. “I was much too quick with you last time, Sara,” he hissed into her ear. Sara grimaced as she felt his foul breath against her neck but didn’t move for fear of him hurting Warrick. “This time I will savor every last moment.”

“Let her go you son of a bitch,” Warrick growled venomously through clenched teeth. Using his new-found strength – perhaps strength Sara had passed onto him—he braced himself with his free hand and began to pull up his body’s deadweight so he could get to his feet. He was slumped over from the pain in his shoulder, but he finally managed to stand up straight.

“Isn’t that sweet?” Trey mocked. “Look Sara, he’s going to kill himself simply trying to stand up!” he cackled.

“Warrick, please,” Sara pleaded with him as she watched him struggle and his face contort into the many different stages of pain. “Don’t hurt yourself… I’m not worth it.”

“But that’s the thing, Sara,” a small smile played on Warrick’s lips. “You are worth it. This is what guys do – they protect the woman they love. I’m not just going to stand around and watch this bastard lay his hands on you.”

“Too bad,” Trey clicked his tongue. “Because you’re not going to be around that long anyways.” Pointing his gun at Warrick he clicked the hammer and his finger began to squeeze the trigger…

“NO!” Sara shouted.

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do

You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue

Anyway the thing is what I really mean

Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

Another gunshot rang through the air, but there were no cries of pain accompanying it. Sara was holding onto Trey’s arm that was now pointing at the sky and Warrick realized that she had knocked off his aim.

“You bitch,” Trey hissed at her. In one clean swipe he whacked her across the face with the butt of his gun sending her sprawling with a groan and she landed at Warrick’s feet.

“Sara?” Warrick whispered, kneeling down beside her. He helped her to her feet and rubbed the skin on her cheek. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Sara whispered, ignoring the small trail of blood making its way down her cheek. “Are you?”

“I am now,” Warrick whispered back, “You saved my life, girl.”

“You saved mine,” Sara whispered. “It’s what women do for the men they love.”

“That’s it!” Trey shouted, bringing them back to reality. “Sara, I was going to let you live a little longer but you’ve finally blown my last fuse. Now you both die!” Sara and Warrick could both tell he was hysterical now and more desperate than ever; there were sirens audible in the distance.

“I don’t think so,” Sara said. Her voice was strangely calm. “Your little plan just back-fired.”

“Oh yeah?” Trey sneered. He squeezed the trigger on his gun but heard nothing but a click! He growled angrily and started pulling it over and over again, but each time there was just a click.

Warrick was confused but Sara simply held up the hammer of the gun in her now blood-stained palm. Warrick realized now that when she had shoved his hand away she had managed to dismantle it from the gun, but had gotten a nasty cut in the process.

“How the hell did you…” Trey’s eyes were wide in disbelief.

“I learned a thing or two in weaponless defense training,” Sara spat. Looking over at the balcony, an idea crossed her mind.

“Give that to me,” Trey hissed, holding his hand out.

“I don’t think so,” Sara replied. Walking over to the balcony she held the small piece over 50 feet of pure air and Vegas pavement.

“No, no, no--!” Trey shouted. But it was too late and Sara had already dropped it.

Everything next happened so fast no eye-witness could have told you the story and gotten it completely right. In his fury Trey had grabbed a steak knife from off the dining table and came at both Warrick and Sara, but Warrick remembered the gun in his hand and a single shot rang through the air as they watched Trey fall to the ground, blood pouring from the wound in his chest.

“H… How,” Trey gasped, staring up at Sara in disbelief. “…did…”

“Haven’t you ever seen the movies?” Sara asked, walking back over to Warrick whose hands were shaking but he composed himself when he saw that Sara was unharmed and wrapped both arms around her, letting his gun drop to the blood-stained granite tile. “The good guys always win.”

Just then Brass and the entire Las Vegas Police Department appeared in the doorway of the balcony, guns drawn. “What the hell happened here?” Brass asked.

And you can tell everybody this is your song

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

“Take this guy away, Brass,” Warrick simply said, motioning down to the struggling Trey on the ground. Before Brass could start asking questions, he looked down at Sara. She looked up at him and smiled. “Are you okay?” he whispered to her, brushing a strand of hair away from her face.

She nodded. “You need to get your shoulder checked out,” she told him. “Let’s get out of here.”

“I’m all for that,” Warrick told her with a small smile. He had actually forgotten about the pain in his shoulder; it felt numb now. “Brass?” he asked the other man.

“Medics are outside,” Brass told him. “I’m really glad you guys are okay, ‘Rick. Go get checked up; the medics are just downstairs.”

“Thanks Jim,” Warrick sincerely told him as he and Sara stepped over broken glass and shell casings and made their way out of the dining room downstairs to the medics.

I hope you don't mind

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

“Warrick?” Sara asked, stopping when they were just outside the dining room and the soft music stopped coming from the speakers.

“What is it, Sara?” Warrick asked.

“This is our song,” Sara smiled brightly at him. “I like it.”

“No Sara,” Warrick chuckled. “It’s Your Song,” he teased her.

I hope you don't mind…

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words…

How wonderful life is while you're in the world…

The End

Back