Does 'Most Watched' equal 'The Best'? **NO SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by ThumpyG42, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

We've all read the articles or seen the ads on television that state that CSI: Miami is the "World's Most Watched Show".

What I'd like to know is this:

In your opinion is the show is worthy of this title?

Obviously, most everyone who posts in this forum is a fan of or at least likes the show, but I've always believed that just because one is a fan of a tv series doesn't mean that one has to blindly accept everything that happens on said show.

So...what does everyone think? Do you think this show doing everything right? If so, please tell us what it is that you like (story lines, character development, etc.) and why. Or...has the show gone off track in your opinion? If so, please tell us why you think this and what could be done to fix it. Or maybe you fall somewhere in the middle. You could tell us what you think is working and what you think needs to improve.

Before I turn you all loose in here, I do have a few requests to make.

Please read them carefully:

1. Please keep this a 'spoiler free' zone. That means no discussion of upcoming 5th season episodes or plot lines should be happening in this thread whatsoever. That includes posting things in spoiler code. I want this thread to be open for everyone to discuss/debate, and if you're using upcoming spoilers to make some of your points, it will hard for those members who are choosing to remain spoiler free to follow the discussion.

2. Keep it civil. Differing opinions can lead to great discussion, but please remember to be respectful of others and their opinions.

3. Let's try to keep all criticism constructive. The intent of this thread is to debate what we feel is right or wrong with CSI: Miami, and I think we can do that without resorting to character/actor bashing or mindless ranting

Sidenote: Saying you think someone is a bad actor/actress or that you don't like their performance in the show does not constitute 'bashing'.

4. I'm hoping this thread will spark some actual discussion in this forum again, so please don't just post things like:

"Ryan sucks!!!!!!!"

or

"I love this show b/c Ryan is the best!!!!!!!"

and leave it at that. Again, offer us facts to back up why you feel the way you do.

I'll add my thoughts a bit later so that I don't have too much in one post. That said, I'm turning it over to you all. :)

2. Dutchie

Dutchie Coroner

Why thank you Jen ;) Excellent idea if you ask me, since I've heard a lot of people say that the show is becoming worse in their opinion. My two cents:

Well, CSI:Miami is still the top of my favorite tv-show list, but I have to admit that numbers 2 and 3 on that list are coming closer by the minute. Season five has disappointed some and although I am with the group that didn't completely hate it, I do think there are things that can change. Character development for example. I understand it's hard for a forensics show to put in character development, but Horatio, Calleigh, Eric, Natalia even all have it, and Ryan doesn't really. We know very little about him compared to what we know about the others concerning his youth and parents. So I think there could be improvement on that point.

The storylines...well I liked Rio, Going Under, Death Pool 100, Curse of the Coffin (I see a pattern here...I just liked the beginning of the season), I also really enjoyed Darkroom. The Eric getting shot storyline just didn't do it for me, because I don't really like Eric. (no offense, please) *reminds not to use spoilers*

I think the main reason I still like CSI:Miami is that I support my ship so strongly. Because there's not really anything else atm that interests me in the show. And if you'd give me the choice to get season 3 or 4 back instead of season 5...bring it on.

3. CHIAWOLFE

CHIAWOLFE Hit and Run

You read my mind......
    There are two episodes about Natalia, and we almost know her hamily.
    Delko is still in shooting aftereffect.(maybe until the end of S5)
    Calleigh is the only female one who gets all attention in MAIMI.
    H still end a case in the last five minutes.
    Alexx......she is almost forgotten....
    Ryan.....beside the gambling and messing up, what else he can do?
    He is also the only main character who doesn't get a background storyline once. :rolleyes:

As for cases,there are a few ones are good(ex.going under,Man down,Broken home),but some cases,like terrists, are went too far. Some cases are unreasonable and lack of logic(ex.A grizzly murder,Tripple threat).:eek:
    compared with S5 so far,I prefer S3 and S4.

4. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Great idea for a thread Thumpy! :)

No, I certainly don't think that most watched equals the best and what we consider great TV as individuals, is of course purely subjective. When they released the list of the Top 10 most watched shows in the world, Miami was indeed top, but that just proves that Miami is universally appealing and is considered good entertainment. Some of the other shows on the list I hadn't heard of. There were quite a few telenovelas (Spanish mini-soap operas), so I think Miami has a broad multicultural appeal.

In terms of real 'quality' TV, Miami is way down on my list these days, and yes, it has gone off track in my opinion. I think the writing can be weak, the acting is often wooden and mediocre (though you can mostly blame the material the actors are working with for that), there's little continuity and the storylines seem to be very contrived and unconvincing in some cases. I used to love Miami for it's rather over-the-top feel to the show, but that is starting to wear thin.

I would like to see a return to a balance between interesting cases and thoughtfully conceived character development. I'll keep this spoiler free, but there are signs that we may be seeing more of the latter in future, so that is encouraging. :)

It is very difficult to keep a show like Miami fresh. Same goes for any show that has been around for quite a long time. I think Season 4 was woeful, particularly how TPTB decided to develop the Marisol storyline. That was so ill-conceived and contrived, that watching it unfold was almost unbearable. The press in the UK wrote some very funny reviews of those episodes (not at all complimentary). Maybe I should post those here one day. ;)

5. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

First of all, great thread, Jen.

No, just because Miami is the most watched show, does not mean it is the best. There are so many things wrong with this show (and yet, I watch religiously, every week).
    The quality of this show is going down the drain, and it's hard to watch your favorite show go this way. Season 4 was especially hard to watch. There were soap bubble galore. Now, soap bubbles are fine, if you like soap operas, which I don't. It may even be what drew in some viewers.

Now, be warned. What I'm about to say may stir up some controersy. I may upset some people with this, and that is in no way my intention, but it has to be said.
    I think it is the true fans of the show that are complaining about the quality of the show. Those that have been watching from the beginning, who watch new episodes purley out of hope that it will get back to season one/two basics that made them love the show in the first place. Don't get me wrong here, a bit of drama with our beloved characters is great. But a lot of the new fans, especially the ones who don't watch the other CSI's, are in it purely for the drama, and that's not what this show is supposed to be. They don't complain about the show not being what it used to be, because what it used to be didn't interest them.
    Please understand that I'm not lumping all 'new fans' together, nor am I classifying 'old fans' as the only 'true fans', I'm just making a general observation.

As for the actors, well, for the most part, I think they're doing the best they can with what they're given. Not even the best actor can save a bad script/plot. Adam Rodriquez said in an interview that he was frustrated with the amount that they wouldn't let him do with his character. I can't imagine how hard it must be on an actor not to be able to do what they think is right for their character.

7. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

Just because CSI:Miami is the most watched show, it does not mean it is the best.

In the beginning, the show was able to juggle with close to perfection; character development, forensic science, good plots, comedy, sincerty, and great acting. Now it seems forced. As DragonFlyDreamer said,"Not even the best actor can save a bad script/plot." If the plot is cheesy, the acting is going to seem cheesy, at least to me.

This season, the writers/producers are trying way to hard to have the storylines be over the top, and we've had little character development. Especially when it comes to Ryan.

Another thing that has been bugging me recently is how the team seems to be solving the cases in one day. In the first two seasons, we saw the crimes being solved in a couple of days, not in a few hours. (I noticed that the "solve the crime in only a day" trend started when Ryan first started.) Solving the crimes in one day isn't believeable though. Especially for the fans who are interested in the science, who watch other shows. We know it takes a while to get DNA results, that trace results take a while, etc.

I liked Season 4, I just didn't like the Marisol storyline. I also liked the beginning of season 5. Somewhere from Darkroom to No Man's Land the writers/producers had a really bad euphoria and have been writing unbelievble, and at times cheesy-stupid, plots recently.

I have high hopes for the upcoming episodes, but I'm preparing myself to be disapointed as well.

P.S.- Great thread idea Jen!

8. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Excellent thread idea Jenn. :)

Firstly, I've actually enjoyed some of the episodes this season and I'll probably keep watching until the show ends. But I personally believe that 'most watched' will never be the same was 'the best'.

Like others have said, the show is well-known internationally, thus bringing in so many viewers each week. Also I think the previews have something to do with that. They always spice up the promos and make them seem really exciting which will always pull in people to watch. The media has a huge influence on what we watch and when we watch.

However, is CSI:Miami the 'best' show in the world? Not by a longshot. I might have said something totally different had this still been the earlier seasons and I've said this in the Horatio/DC thread but I believe that the high-profile status of the show has allowed the producers and writers to go beyond what the show was originally meant for so that they can strive for more ratings and maintain their status, all the while forgetting that the fans don't have the same agenda. Yes, the show is entertaining and yes I still love to watch it but I've felt as of late that the storylines are less rich with substance and more sprinkled with contrived ideas and rediculously over-the-top plotlines/scripts.

I agree in a sense with Megan that the actors can't always save a bad script and make it good, but I also believe that the actors can very much influence a script. We saw it with David Caruso who was the lead in the Marisol/Horatio storyline that proved to be one of the worst elements in CSI:Miami so far. Also, Rory Cochrane left the show not only because he grew tired of the same monotonous work/scripts, but because his character was getting far less material and he found as an actor that when he didn't care if his work was good or not, that it scared him. (Thank God he left before season four, in my opinion) Also, like was said, Adam was frustrated with the way his character was handled this year and he out right said it. So there are times when TPTB take things in their own hands via the characters how they see fit and it doesn't always work. (Ie: Eric Delko returning to work in a week)

I think TPTB are a little blinded by CSI:Miami's sudden success worldwide. But it's also hard to return to the original formula because of what they've already written. The show has changed substantially over five years, some good storylines, some bad ones.

I do agree with you here. I think with any show, things will tilt this way. The fans who have watched the show since the beginning already are fully aware of what it used to be and in comparison with the newer episodes, it seems like a completely different show. However the newer fans who have started watching since the season 4-5, have a somewhat different view of the show. (As well this is purely based on observation, I can't speak for all of the new fans)

I've always thought that a show with this much popularity worldwide does need to find a balance between storylines/characters. But a balance is hard when there so many elements to think of such as media influence like ripped from the headlines stories, appealing to the countries that watch by incorperating them into episodes (eg: South America - Rio), or elements such as what the actors would like, what the producers would like and what the fans would like to see. TPTB can't please everyone and they probably aren't trying to. Television is a business like anything else and the main motivation is monetary gain. They would probably like to appeal to everyone, but it's virtually impossible and it isn't their main goal so they do what they think is best for the show, no matter how many of those decisions are giant mistakes.

Right now the way things are developping, the show can go two ways in my opinion. It can get better, or it can get better ratings.

9. inge

inge CSI Level Two

Thanks for thread Jenn! very good idea. :)

Miami is still one of my fav shows, but there are a few things I don't like.
    The cases are often over-the-top and it's always so 'funny' that they solve a case withing one day.

I started to watch the show because it wasn't concentrated on the characters personal lives, the cases were more important and no romances between main characters.
    Sadly, things changed.
    I like character development, but I would like small hints more. It's also a little bit annoying that a lot of characters have a traumatic past. :rolleyes:
    I'm always one year behind in Austria, so now I'm in the middle of Season 4.
    The Horatio/Marisol storyline is annyoing, the baby scare was ridiculous and I miss Yelina. Only Ryan's eye storyline is interesting.
    So, for me not everything is bad.

I also made the observation that TV shows getting weaker and weaker the more seasons they have. :(

I'm watching Miami since the beginning and it wasn't my fav CSI show during Season 1. I liked LV more, because it was calmer than Miami. I changed my opinion and now I like Miami more than LV and NY.

I agree with you Geni.
    They only look a the figures.
    maybe they shouldn't forget that most of the countries are one year (more or less) behind the actual season.
    so, it would be interesting if it's still the number one after the weaker Seasons are aired everywhere. ;)

I think I will keep watching Miami until the end too. :p

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Another thought I've had, sort of in relation to being blinded by success, I think they're trying to hard now as well. It's like they're thinking, "Whoa, we made it to the top. Under no circumstances can we fall even the tiniest bit!", and so they keep coming up with strange, wild, and completely over-the-top, over-done plots. It's loosing any realism it may have had.

11. Annwn

Annwn Rookie

I agreee with Inge, UK has finished S4 and waiting S5, though from the comments I've read concerning S5, I may not put myself out to watch it. With my current favourite, I have it series linked on Sky+ so I'll never miss an episode - will I do it for CSI M? Maybe for the first few epis to see if I agree with what has been written, and definately for Deathpool 100, but I really hate what they're doing with Ryan's character.
    Biggest isn't always best...tptb might do well to listen to the fans.

12. csi_pinoy

csi_pinoy Lab Technician

straight up... csi miami has earned this title but all i have to say they have to get better cases and keep the oldies coming back if they want to keep that title. i mean sure there are so many good shows out there as well like ex) house, csi ect. but i think csi miami has definitely earned this title thats just me however

13. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

Wonderful replies everyone. :D

I also don’t think ‘Most Watched’ equals ‘The Best’, at least in relation to CSI: Miami. This of course is my opinion, and I don’t speak for anyone else. As Lucy said, what one considers the ‘best’ is purely subjective.

While the 5th season is an improvement over the 4th season, with the exception of a few really good episodes, I find it is still lacks the quality of the first three seasons. The show seems to have become more about ‘style’ and less about ‘substance’ relying more on distracting split screen effects, overly bright colors, and color coordinated wardrobes. The storylines and character development are suffering because of it. I know that Miami has always been the most over the top of the three series, but I can only suspend my disbelief in reality so far before I have to cry foul.

Before the 4th season nothing would come between me and CSI: Miami. When it came on everyone knew not to talk to me, not to phone, and I literally would not budge from my seat except during commercials...maybe. This season and last, I routinely would find myself reading a book, talking on the phone, or even leaving the room during an episode. I find they just don’t hold my attention like they used to. My brother asked me back after ‘Bloodline’ aired what happened at the end because he missed it, and I could not tell him without rewatching the episode.

I’d really love to see this show go back to the more thought provoking cases of the earlier seasons and focus less on the over the top, ripped from the headlines cases.

I apologize if this post seems a bit disjointed, I was continually being interrupted while trying to type it up, therefore I kept losing my train of thought. ;)

14. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

I have been refraining from posting here cos I wanted ot get my thoughts right.

'Best' is subjective. And in my book Miami is still 'the best' thus far. By best I want to qualify that it's the only show thus far I have not missed a single episode of since s1, well all except for one ep os s4 while I was heavily sedated in intensive care!

Why I started watching Miami was largely cos of LV, which was my origianl fave show til I started watching Miami. Fisrtly cos of my interest in forensics, and secondly, like most shows I watch I need eye candy. A nice distraction from life in general. And I need action in my shows, both of which Miami provides. Still I must admit shows with solely eye candy guys like One Tree Hill lost my interest cos it was way too soap opera. I guess I would eventually give up on Miami if everyone started sleeping with everyone... :rolleyes:
    Prison Break came close, I never missed an ep of its s1, but after they eventually broke out of priaon, the show got boring and I lost interest too.

What has held my interest in Miami is mainly the chracters, Horatio and Ryan in particular, my eye candy. I love Super-H as much as I like vulnerable H, and he still blows me off my seat everytime he says his one-liners and puts on/removes the SOJ. And my heart races everytime Ryan graces the TV screen. The other issue about plot, is that it still sustains my interest, cos of the forensics which is still there on the show. My mian attraction however is the H/Y storyarc, and as long as there's hope for H/Y and H doesn't leavt he show, I'll still stay glued to Miami. As long as he still does all that cool stuff Miami will still hold my undivided attention. But then I'm an action-flick kind of girl. And I knew from the start that Miami is meant to be over the top so I don't really expect realism on the show anyway.

Although I do agree the quality of the show has dropped significantly. I had to endure s4, it had it's redemming moments, but everytime H had screen-time with Marisol I cringed and told myself "just bear with it she's gonna die" or I treid imagining Yelina there with H instead of Marisol. But I endured s4, and am looking forward to s5. And judging from the spoilers and posts here, I won't be disappointed. The show isn't the same without Yelina Salas and the writing has gotten bad, but I'm hopefully that with Y's return, the writing will improve.

So IMO Miami is the best cos I don't watch much of anything else except sports, but I know if I took it in context, comparing with the big picture and whatever else TV land has to offer, Miami is not the best show on TV.

Sorry if I sound like I'm contradicting myself here. Hope you guys get what I mean.

15. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

first, great thread idea Thumpy :D

second, for my regret my english language knowledge is far way and i never can make so good post like the previous. ;) all guys here have write the most important and main reason why i too think that the most watched tv show doesn`t mean the the best one, in this case CSI Miami :)

- i still watch Miami, only coz of little hope that we again can see S 1-3 heavens
    - the perfect wallpapers and hot chick, doesn`t mean quality and substance in the epi plot line
    - this big change S 4/5 - tptb move the focus from the real, human and interesting crime cases to the soup and over the top characters and relationship development make me sick.
    - non stop action and thoughtless&unsensible scripts and cases can`t keep my attention over the runing epi or to make me wait with impatiently the next Monday
    - out there in the tv land have some very good quality tv show and tptb (CSI Miami) have to take a look around and bring some ideas/note and not in last place to stop repeat non stop that CSI Miami is the best tv show on the planet. did they try to convince us or them selfs that there is nothing wrong with Miami this days... in my country all my friends watch only Lost or Prison break... Miami is the tv shoow that only fill the time before champion football league.
    - tptb don`t have any respect to theirs true given fans - re to admit that the whole Aerosl stuff was awful... what about to do like some others writers teams (tv show or movie) and to try make connection with theirs fans - what they like, don't like or want to see...
    - i can keep write, but will repeat most of the things said/mentioned before my post
    - aww btw i 100 % agree with DragonflyDreamer comment re definition for this new fans ;)