Does GLBT get enough R-E-S-P-E-C-T on CSI?

the thing is, yes there are uptight conservative people out there who are easily offend by what they think is different. especially when it comes to sex. but if csi is going to write storylines involving a variety of fetishes (feet, chubby chasers, biting, swinging etc.) then they shouldnt let this unfortunately very vocal group of people who are offended by gays stop them from including that part of society in their shows. im sure there are people (probably the same people) that think lady heathers is a place of evil debauchery and yet it was featured heavily in several episodes.

its time the media stops submitting to these groups. theres nothing wrong or evil about being gay, or transgender. the writers and producers etc should be able to incorporate these storylines without being pressured that they are doing something horrible.

As a lesbian, I can honestly say I couldn't care less if CSI has LGBT characters or not. It's a crime/forensics show - why should they have to go out of their way to add a variety of characters just to satisfy the beliefs/views/etc of viewers? If they incorporated characters for everything (sexuality, race, body type, etc), there would be a hell of a lot of characters on the show!

As cool as it would be to have an LGBT main cast member, it's not necessary in my opinion.

I completely agree with your comment steph_r. Discussions like these tend to go in a direction that you are either for it or against it. I've thought about and honestly I'm neither. I realize I'm not answering the question that is asked in the title but that's because for me it's irrelevant.

why should they have to go out of their way to add a variety of characters just to satisfy the beliefs/views/etc of viewers?
why do you think its going out of the way? what they are doing now is pretty much going out of their way trying to avoid variety. all the characters are straight, the majority are male, each show had the token black character (now two out of three have lost that character), vegas had an asian one, they are practically all the same. but its that way with every show on tv, they just prefer to ignore the fact that gay non-white people exist.

i guess the networks dont think they can have a gay character without showing the relationship side of it. just to make sure you know they are gay. they can do it perfectly fine with the straight characters.

By going out of their way, I mean for them to actively say hey, let's make them gay. They shouldn't have to do that.

Anyway, out of the hundreds of suspects and victims and other characters that have appeared on the show, they quite easily could have been LGBT without the show pointing it out. In reality a person's sexuality isn't necessary mentioned all that much in their everyday lives, so why should it have to be mentioned on the show?

Back