Do you need to now math to becoma a Forensic Scientist?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you need to now a lot of math to become a Forensic Scientist bacause im verry verry bad at math bacause i have a math disorder :( math is like chinees for me.

2. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

I'm pretty bad at math too. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that you can use a calculator every now and then. And, with a lot of studying, I'm sure you can memorize a few necessary formulas.

It might be necessary to learn how to spell, though. XD

3. Lia

Lia Lab Technician

Math and Science pretty much go hand-in-hand.
    Just work at it, you can do it. Anything's possible, hon.

I'm bad at math, too, even though I love it. :/

4. cfar

cfar Pathologist

Well, it depends on what kind of forensic scientist you want to be. Most bachelors and masters programs for forensic science are based on one of the natural sciences (chemisty, biochemistry, etc.) with an emphasis on forensics and require at least two semesters of calculus. Some of the associates programs won't require as much math, but you don't get paid as much or have as many opportunities.

5. Cordelia_GRS_Fan

Cordelia_GRS_Fan CSI Level Two

Yep, it's definitely an asset. I'm on work experience at a BioChem lab at the moment and the supervisor said that's what the employers look for over practically everything else now cos it shows how your mind works - linearity and numeracy etc. Don't worry all that much bout spelling tho lol - one guy who works with me at the moment admits to been the worst in the world for spelling.

Xx..::Mia-Sara::..xX

6. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

Math is a must. The days of the associates degree are drawing to a close. The popularity of TV shows like CSI, have made so many people interested in the field, that employers are now looking at people with masters and phds when considering applicants.

As a good guide for what you need to take in order to be employable, check with your local college under BS in chemistry or biology. BS in Chemistry is the "standard" degree requirement, and it's only likely to go up as more and more graduates flood the field.

7. stokeluver

stokeluver CSI Level One

i can tell you you need a bacholars degree in sciences. (how ever the heck you spell that) I know alot of people who took forensics, and thats what they said.