CSI Rankings

Clarrisani

CSI Level One
I was wondering if anyone knows what the different rankings are for CSIs, and how and when they can be reached. I recall that on one NY episode Mac told Danny that Danny was almost CSI level 2 as he was approaching three years, but I'm not sure if this is how it actually works.

Thanks!

I doubt that the shows potray it correctly. I think the rankings would depend on your spcific job and if you're an actual cop or not. Other than that, I have no idea how it works in real life.

In real life it varies by the agency. Factors that come into play are local job market competition to keep experienced examiners, and what the relative market already has in place. Just like any other job.

Typically there are 3 - 4 levels of experience (maybe only 2 - 3 for actual "field" people). Those levels can require varying amounts of experience from 2 - 4 years between each grade.

In the state of Arizona (USA), there are between 2 - 4 levels of forensic scientist, requiring between 5 - 2 years experience for each grade.

Typically a "senior" level is from 6 - 8 years.

education might play a little role - more getting your foot in the door than anything else.

You're going to have to have some minimum degree, but rarely does having a master's or higher help with the pay.

For the CSIs, if they are sworn officers, do they also follow the regular police rankings (officer, lieutenant...)?

thegluups said:
For the CSIs, if they are sworn officers, do they also follow the regular police rankings (officer, lieutenant...)?
A sworn officer actually working CSI (personally conducting crime scene investigations) in the US would almost certainly hold the rank of "officer" or "deputy" or at the very most "detective." You might have a sergeant in charge of a team of sworn CSI officers; but I really doubt that there would be any functioning CSIs with the rank of lieutenant or captain.

I found this article about CSI's here where I live.
By Elizabeth Kells:
Crime Scene Investigating is a career that has interested many including myself and because of that, our schools are filling up with soon to be investigators. The problem is, many schools do not offer what is needed for us to fulfill our chosen careers. How to become a C.S.I. professional is totally dependent on the department you apply to and their requirements are determined by what they need. Geography is the variable that decides what is needed and that determines the schooling and experience required.

Typically, we believe as the television show presents that we collect the evidence and hand it over to the lab technicians. Well, on a very general scale that would be correct if the department you work in has a high crime rate; however if not then you might be the technician also. If you were to become a crime scene investigator in Orange County Florida, you would be required to perform certain duties that would not be required in Columbia, South Carolina. One of the duties required in Orange County is to analyze your findings, whereas in Columbia you would hand over the evidence to technicians to analyze. (Crime Scene Investigator Orange County, Florida) (Columbia Police Department)
Even if there are varying requirements, there are certain abilities that are essential to becoming an expert crime scene investigator. These abilities are only obtained through studying, and the proper training, and experience. The ability to process the crime scene in an organized manner entails three stages.
The recognition of evidence during the preliminary search of the crime scene
The scene documentation through written notes and reports, sketching of the scene, and photography
The evidence collection with the use of appropriate time and care
As I stated before there are certain things that will be needed by some departments, but not by all. I noticed photography is something that most investigators will need to do; my school does not offer classes in photography so I will be finding classes to take so that I am prepared. Most departments require some form of a college degree it would be worthwhile to contact the department you wish to work in to find out exactly what degree. To illustrate I will again use Orange County Florida's department which requires an Associates degree in Forensic Science, Chemistry, or Biology and a years worth of related experience or training.

General Requirements:
U.S. citizenship or registered Alien
High School Diploma or GED
Type of Degree-dependent on the department
Valid license in the state the department is in with a good driving record
Clean criminal history ; arrest history will be assessed on individual basis
At least 18 years old
Computer skills are a plus
link

Back