"CSI" on PBS' Frontline

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by bill_az, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Last night's "Frontline" episode was about the science--or lack thereof--in forensic investigation. It was an interesting show, with a few obligatory snippets from the various CSI franchises.

You can watch it online here:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2223977258

2. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Thanks for posting the link. That was an interesting episode.

I think the science is there, but the interpretation and use just needs to be looked at more critically. And the technology is ever changing so it makes it even harder to keep up. Still, no matter how perfect the science is, the justice system will never be perfect.

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Really liked the episode ,thanks for the link.
    The entire episode was interesting,but found the fingerprint portion particularly so.
    Agree that the justice system will never be perfect,but it seems neither will certain aspects of forensic science.

4. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

The one thing I got from the show was that there was no real "standard" in forensic investigation. For example, I know that the crime lab for the Phoenix PD has an ISO9000 certification. But what does that entail? And how did ISO come up with these standards?

Also, Cyril Wecht came off rather strangely, kind of like the "funny but weird grandfather," not really the more serious pathologists portrayed in the CSI franchises (one of the show's strengths, IMO).