CSI: NY--'The Past, Present And Murder'

The CSI's who aren't cops do have badges for identification purposes and they carry guns for protection since they will be at crime scenes. So it isn't so weird that Sheldon would have both even though he's not a cop.

I can understand him having identification, Hawkes had an ID when he was an ME and Adam had an ID in SD. But Hawkes was wearing a detectives badge. He's not a detective... As for the gun that doesn't bother me at all and like you said, makes sense.

A badge doesn't only signify a cop. Security guards wear badges and they aren't cops. A CSI would carry/wear a badge that clearly identifies them as a Crime Scene Investigator.

Well that's obvious but what I said was that it happened to look just like a detectives badge that the other characters wear. Not all badges in the NYPD look the same so I was thinking that his might look different since he's not a detective (see where I'm going with this?). But I looked around a few websites and the "investigator" badge looks similar to the "detective" badge. At least according to this site: http://police-badges.de/hidden/nypd.html

So I suppose he could have an investigator badge.

Either way, pretty interesting stuff. I've enjoyed the research.

I can understand him having identification, Hawkes had an ID when he was an ME and Adam had an ID in SD. But Hawkes was wearing a detectives badge. He's not a detective... As for the gun that doesn't bother me at all and like you said, makes sense.

A badge doesn't only signify a cop. Security guards wear badges and they aren't cops. A CSI would carry/wear a badge that clearly identifies them as a Crime Scene Investigator.

Well that's obvious but what I said was that it happened to look just like a detectives badge that the other characters wear. Not all badges in the NYPD look the same so I was thinking that his might look different since he's not a detective (see where I'm going with this?). But I looked around a few websites and the "investigator" badge looks similar to the "detective" badge. At least according to this site: http://police-badges.de/hidden/nypd.html

What you said was this:
Lastly, a big 'ol WTF to Hawkes wearing a badge when they found Walsh's body. He hasn't worn a badge every season (at least for most episodes), not even in promo pictures (except that one high beam one). It was also confirmed in the "Blue Flu" episode that he was not sworn in to the NYPD. I was under the impression that if you don't get sworn in, you don't get a badge.

Did the continuity fairy go on vacation again?

Nothing about the badge looking similar to the NYPD badge. A lot of different badges look similar. I've seen security guard badges that look very similar to a cop's badge too. But, hey. Thanks for talking down to me like I'm a moron. It's really condusive to a mature discussion. :rolleyes:

What you said was this:
Lastly, a big 'ol WTF to Hawkes wearing a badge when they found Walsh's body. He hasn't worn a badge every season (at least for most episodes), not even in promo pictures (except that one high beam one). It was also confirmed in the "Blue Flu" episode that he was not sworn in to the NYPD. I was under the impression that if you don't get sworn in, you don't get a badge.

Nothing about the badge looking similar to the NYPD badge. A lot of different badges look similar. I've seen security guard badges that look very similar to a cop's badge too. But, hey. Thanks for talking down to me like I'm a moron. It's really condusive to a mature discussion. :rolleyes:

:confused: Woah, woah, woah what?! When did I talk down to you?? I'm sorry if you thought I was at all but I was just trying to explain what I had found...

And I do think it's a continuity thing when sometimes he's wearing a badge and sometimes not. But when I said my first comment I thought he was wearing a detectives badge (which I probably should have said specifically the first time) because it looks the same as what the others wear. But then I looked into it more and saw that an investigator badge looks very similar. I basically even said that you were right so I don't see how I was talking down to you at all. Again, I'm sorry if you thought so. I thought we were having a good discussion...

What you said was this:

:confused: Woah, woah, woah what?! When did I talk down to you?? I'm sorry if you thought I was at all but I was just trying to explain what I had found...

And I do think it's a continuity thing when sometimes he's wearing a badge and sometimes not. But when I said my first comment I thought he was wearing a detectives badge (which I probably should have said specifically the first time) because it looks the same as what the others wear. But then I looked into it more and saw that an investigator badge looks very similar. I basically even said that you were right so I don't see how I was talking down to you at all. Again, I'm sorry if you thought so. I thought we were having a good discussion...

Sometimes meanings get misinterpreted when people communicate in writing. I apologize for jumping to conclusions and getting pissy.

What you said was this:

Sometimes meanings get misinterpreted when people communicate in writing. I apologize for jumping to conclusions and getting pissy.

No worries, I understand. I just didn't want you to think I was trying to pick a fight with you because I really was enjoying our discussion and had actually learned a lot in the process. :)

No worries, I understand. I just didn't want you to think I was trying to pick a fight with you because I really was enjoying our discussion and had actually learned a lot in the process. :)

I looked at the site you linked to and I was pretty surprised at how similar the badges really are. I expected they'd be kind of similar, but a lot of them were nearly identical except for the title on the badge. I get the different police jobs' badges would be almost the same, but I would think someone who isn't a cop would have a badge that couldn't be confused for a cop's badge. I know they're all employees of the government, but still . . . :wtf:

I looked at the site you linked to and I was pretty surprised at how similar the badges really are. I expected they'd be kind of similar, but a lot of them were nearly identical except for the title on the badge. I get the different police jobs' badges would be almost the same, but I would think someone who isn't a cop would have a badge that couldn't be confused for a cop's badge. I know they're all employees of the government, but still . . . :wtf:

Exactly. I mean CSIs don't need to be cops so I thought the badge would be highly distinguishable. Espeically since they confirmed that Hawkes was never sworn in to the NYPD. Because if you look at the official NYPD site they have a list of careers and CSI (or Criminalist rather) is listed under "Civilian Opportunities", as in job opportunities. You just need certain degrees in most of the sciences and don't need to attend the police academy.

Also, like I said before, he doesn't even always wear a badge! I tell ya, that continuity fairy... :rolleyes:

I wonder why TPTB have moulded Mac more like Horatio than Grissom nowadays. I thought in the earlier seasons, Mac's character/ personality was much more like Grissom's and it worked so much better in my opinion. After this episode, Mac might as well dye his bright red and keep sunnies on him 24/7. :rolleyes: As much I miss the old Danny, I miss the old Mac even more.

I have to say I actually enjoyed this episode.

I started reading these posts and thought, well maybe you guys are over analysing the episode a bit, but as I've gone through them all, I found myself actually agreeing with a lot of the posts here.

Mac is probably my favourite CSI show leader - but - this season Mac's character has in my opinion changed dramatically as has Horitio's character. I guess they make changes to keep the characters fresh but I do think that Mac can be a little of "do as I say, not as I do" - we've seen him investigate his own personal cases, and yet tell (Stella) she was too close to investigate her own... I don't doubt that the writers are far more clever then I, and I wait in anticipation to see what the do with Mac by the end of the season.

This season of NY has been my favourite, and I'd be lying if I said that NY wasn't my personal favourite of all the CSI shows so I know i'm biased here!

Z

Back