CSI: New York--'What Schemes May Come'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

A man dressed as a knight is found dead in Central Park, while blocks away a man, bound to a bed, is discovered dead in a penthouse suite. When Sid Hammerback discovers fingerprints on both men's eyelids left by the same person, the CSIs realize the cases are connected. The prints are from a woman not in CODIS, leaving the CSIs to wonder why the same woman plunged an ice pick into Bobby Smith's neck and drove a lance through Derek Kirson's chest. Sid discovers another connection: both men were terminally ill, Bob with leukemia and Derek with an inoperable brain tumor. Hawkes analyzes a blonde hair found on Bob's body and determines it was bleached and the woman it belongs to was using marijuana. Calls placed to Bob's hotel room lead the CSIs to Isabella Cooksey, but she claims she was simply selling Bob's condo for him and refuses to give up her DNA.

Mac rushes to Peyton Driscoll's side after a man in a silver Mercedes SUV shoves her and steals a body from the ME's truck. Danny is able to get a license plate imprint off a dumpster the SUV hit while fleeing the scene, and the CSIs bring in the owner, Christopher Beaufield, the son of a city councilman. He denies stealing the body, and during the interrogation Mac and Peyton receive a page: the body has turned up in the Hudson river. They go to retrieve it and are shocked when the man's eyes pop open. He's rushed to the hospital where he's declared brain dead. A silk hair from a goat that Danny discovers leads him and Mac to Dr. Quinn Brookman, who runs a genetic testing lab. He IDs their victim as Court Peterson, one of his lab techs. Quinn denies knowing anything about Court's odd fate.

Peyton and Mac test Court's blood and discover an odd amalgamation of chemicals in it. The pair realize Court was put into a hibernative state, which mimicked death. They arrest Quinn and Christopher, who together with Court were trying to find a way to induce hibernation in humans. An unusual flower found on Derek's body leads the CSIs to a greenhouse owned by Dr. Henry Croft. Croft recognizes both victims: they were in a support group for terminally ill young people. He tells them Isabella is part of the group as well, and when they spot medical marijuana in his greenhouse, he tells them of a fourth member: Jenny Parker. The CSIs race to her apartment, but it's too late: Jenny, dressed as Marilyn Monroe, is dead in her bed. Isabella tells the sad story: the four made a pact to die together. Jenny killed the two men before killing herself, but Isabella couldn't go through with it. Stella returns to the lab and tells Mac she wants to take a PCR DNA test to determine her HIV status quicker.

Analysis:

There's a really nice symmetry between the two cases in "What Schemes May Come" which isn't easy to achieve but when executed well, as it is here, seems effortless. One case involves an attempt to extend life, the other to cut an already abbreviated life short. There's a clear message, which Stella sums up at the end when she tells Mac she's prepared for the results of her HIV test: live every moment to the fullest in the present.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

Excellent review, as always. :D

I definitely enjoyed the cases in this episode, and there was some great character interaction. Flack and Stella are always phenomenal when they work together, Mac and Peyton's scenes were great--and I loved Flack's line about how Hammerback enjoys his job. :lol: (Speaking of Hammerback, I like seeing him out of the morgue. It's more fun than always having the CSIs going to the morgue to talk over the dead body. ;))

I think the thing about the flower would have been better coming from Hawkes rather than Lindsay. He would have delivered the story with that certain spark he gets when he's sharing some bit of knowledge (like about the mosquito in "Summer in the City"--this man clearly loves his trivia :p).

Overall, a fantastic episode, and hopefully a sign of how the rest of the season will go. :D

I thought Lindseys small song about the flower was cute! I still have yet too see why she is so unlikable... :confused: Oh well, even if I like her, I find it more realistic to have an unlikable character, even if it doesn't agree with american tv.

Faylinn said:
Excellent review, as always. :D

I definitely enjoyed the cases in this episode, and there was some great character interaction. Flack and Stella are always phenomenal when they work together, Mac and Peyton's scenes were great--and I loved Flack's line about how Hammerback enjoys his job. :lol: (Speaking of Hammerback, I like seeing him out of the morgue. It's more fun than always having the CSIs going to the morgue to talk over the dead body. ;))

I thought that was great too! And how Flack kind of snarked Lindsay about the number of greenhouses in the area and then said something to the effect of "I'm glad this is your job and not mine." Flack is not going to turn in an application to be a CSI anytime soon. :lol:

I think the thing about the flower would have been better coming from Hawkes rather than Lindsay. He would have delivered the story with that certain spark he gets when he's sharing some bit of knowledge (like about the mosquito in "Summer in the City"--this man clearly loves his trivia :p).

It definitely would have. Hawkes has an enthusiasm for the science that Hill gets across so well. I love it when Hawkes geeks out--he makes it look cool.

Overall, a fantastic episode, and hopefully a sign of how the rest of the season will go. :D

I agree!

xfcanadian said:
I thought Lindseys small song about the flower was cute! I still have yet too see why she is so unlikable... :confused: Oh well, even if I like her, I find it more realistic to have an unlikable character, even if it doesn't agree with american tv.

It wasn't so much the character this time around as the delivery. It made me cringe a little. It should have been cute but it felt off to me.

Your review and analysis were right on (I have definitely missed your NY reviews!!!). I really enjoyed this episode. What I haven't enjoyed lately is that many of the characters have had less and less to do since Lindsay has been back and that she has become a major player in every episode. I have to agree that her attempt at humour fell flat (but most of her acting is flat to me but that's for another thread.....) Stella was great. Mac and Peyton played off each other great. Their relationship I can handle for some reason. Maybe because the writers handle it so much better than they handle DL and the characters (Mac and Peyton) haven't lost themselves in each other.

d2400 said:
Your review and analysis were right on (I have definitely missed your NY reviews!!!). I really enjoyed this episode. What I haven't enjoyed lately is that many of the characters have had less and less to do since Lindsay has been back and that she has become a major player in every episode. I have to agree that her attempt at humour fell flat (but most of her acting is flat to me but that's for another thread.....) Stella was great. Mac and Peyton played off each other great. Their relationship I can handle for some reason. Maybe because the writers handle it so much better than they handle DL and the characters (Mac and Peyton) haven't lost themselves in each other.

That was something I noticed and really appreciated last night. When Mac and Peyton were working together, they were actually, you know working and not making googly eyes across the lab or whining about missed dates or being hungry. They were professionals, and are able to keep their personal relationship out of their working one. That's refreshing and realistic; they act like adults. Danny and Lindsay are in their 30s (okay, late 20s for Lindsay :lol: ) but act like teenagers. I'd take Mac and Peyton any day. Even Mac's initial concern for her was tempered by the fact that they were at work. He was caring, but still did his job and tried to find out as much about what happened while Peyton's memory was fresh.

And yes, the episodes mid-season without Lindsay were like a breath of fresh air. Worse than adding nothing to the show, she detracts from it.

Your review was right on, Top. Excellent

Was it just me or was it kind of a stretch on the writers part to have the real estate brochure with Isabella's DNA on the back cover? Hummmmm? Did make for a cool background, I must confess.

In regards to what you had said about Flack not arresting Croft for the marijuana in the greenhouse in your review, Top, I agree that it does show Flack has a heart but also, on the downer side, they (Flack and Stella) WERE still trying to get the name of the blond pot user (Jenny Parker) and I think Flack was overlooking the pot to get the info they needed. Maybe I am missing the big picture, but that was my take on it.

^The DNA pic was definitely a stretch. The 'hot new kind of self-portrait'? Uh, nice try guys.

I agree that Flack was trying to get the name out of Croft and that's part of why he didn't arrest him, but I think he was pretty gentle about hinting about it, at least for Flack. Usually when he's trying to lean on someone, he's all tough guy, but something about his tone suggested, at least to me, that he didn't really have a desire to arrest Croft. It struck a nice balance--I really liked the scene.

Anna Belknap falls flat with Lindsay's lines about the flower, which are meant to create a light moment, but without any warmth are merely awkward. There's no joy or zest in her performance and it shows.

What the HELL? This was one of the best parts of the episode. Your hate of Lindsay and Ms. Belknap prevents you from having any sort of objectivity.

And its kind of funny that you complain about there being too much Danny/Lindsay interaction when there is ONE single scene, but when there is an overwhelming amount of Mac/Peyton, you don't say a single complaint.

Your summary wasn't exactly complete either.

chemgeek said:
What the HELL? This was one of the best parts of the episode. Your hate of Lindsay and Ms. Belknap prevents you from having any sort of objectivity.

And let me guess...you're objective because you like it? It's called an opinion, which is what a review is. Belknap was fine in the last episode, "A Daze of Wine and Roaches" but overall she's uneven at best and lacks the zest and the skill the other actors in the show have. I don't hate her--I think the character is poorly written and portrayed and therefore out of place on a show where the caliber of actors and characters is otherwise so high. And if something actually makes me cringe while watching the episode, as her delivery in that scene did, I'm going to mention it in a review.

And its kind of funny that you complain about there being too much Danny/Lindsay interaction when there is ONE single scene, but when there is an overwhelming amount of Mac/Peyton, you don't say a single complaint.

Mac and Peyton don't grate on the nerves the way Danny and Lindsay's juvenile romance does. In fact, save for Mac's running at the beginning and his obvious concern for her, I wouldn't have even known the two were in a relationship together. It's subtle, which on a show about solving crimes is just how it should be. Danny and Lindsay carry on like teenagers, which would be just fine for The OC but doesn't work in a crime drama. Though I don't recall a scene between Danny and Lindsay in this episode, or complaining about one.

Your summary wasn't exactly complete either.

It's a synopsis, not a blow by blow of the entire episode.

Mac and Peyton don't grate on the nerves the way Danny and Lindsay's juvenile romance does

You mean they don't grate on your nerves.
To me, Mac and Peyton is worse than Danny/Lindsey, in part because while I like D & L sperately, I cannot stand P at all.

I suppose what we all should remember is that the review is the reviewers opinion and that's what they write.

Ceindreadh said:
Mac and Peyton don't grate on the nerves the way Danny and Lindsay's juvenile romance does

You mean they don't grate on your nerves.

But...but...I was speaking for all of humanity there. ;) (I kid, I kid. :D )

To me, Mac and Peyton is worse than Danny/Lindsey, in part because while I like D & L sperately, I cannot stand P at all.

The response to Mac and Peyton has been somewhat mixed, and I know there are others out there who don't like Peyton. I think Dindsay (sends kisses to Ausiello) is much more polarizing though. And I also feel it detracts more from the show. Granted if you don't like Peyton this probably doesn't help much, but I did feel when she and Mac were working the case they were able to put their personal relationship aside and concentrate on the crime. I don't feel like everytime they're in the same scene together, the writers feel the need to shove the fact that they're having a RELATIONSHIP down our throats. Not so with Danny and Lindsay--if they're not angsting around each other, then they're flirting (awkwardly) or making the tired "She's from Montana! He's from NY! Let's underscore that!" references.

I suppose what we all should remember is that the review is the reviewers opinion and that's what they write.

As big of an ego as some seem to think I have ;) , ultimately my opinion is just one person's opinion. And personally, I love it when people come in here and comment--it makes for good discussion.

Haha, Top, you're not gonna live that "Dindsay" thing die are you. That's gotta be one of the worst name combos since "Brangelina" and "Vaughniston" :lol:

As big of an ego as some seem to think I have , ultimately my opinion is just one person's opinion.
Yeah well, your egotisical reviews are making the internet rounds. :p

Though as far as Mac and Peyton are concerned, I think as a regular ME she wouldn't necessarily be one of my favorites, but in a relationship with Mac, I appreciate how she manages to give him some much needed personality layering. I'll be honest and say Mac use to be kind of bore me, but with the introduction of Reed and Peyton, I like seeing there's more to him.

But yeah, if Mac and Peyton are working a crime scene, I'm not constantly reminded that they "like-like" each other. It's not until you have Mac hauling ass across the lab that you remember he's in a relationship.

Back