CSI: New York--'Run Silent, Run Deep'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

Mac gets a call from a man who confesses to burying a body at the north end of the New York Giants stadium just before shooting himself. Mac and Flack find the man, Salvador Zabo, in his car, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head. Mac calls the New Jersey CSI department and asked them to meet him at the Giants stadium in East Rutherford. Along with the NJ CSIs, Mac and Hawkes locate and exhume the remains, along with a gun and a cigarette butt. Mac notes the victim was killed execution style, with a shot to the head. Back in Manhattan, Stella reluctantly leaves her boyfriend Frankie Mala in bed when she receives a page summoning her to a crime scene. At the posh Von Arms hotel, Danny is already processing the body of Jim Mooney, a bank executive, who lies dead from multiple stab wounds on the bed in one of the rooms, champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries on the room service cart untouched. In the bathroom, Stella finds a message written in vasoline that reads "I caught you bitch. Go home."

In the morgue, Dr. Hammerback determines the skeleton from the Giants stadium was a young man, around 17 or 18 years old. He also shows Mac a laser-removed tattoo on Salvado Zabo's back, and when he cuts off the flesh and microwaves it, the tattoo is revealed: Tanglewood. Mac goes to Danny, who previously told his boss he used to hang out with members of the gang ("Tanglewood"). Danny recognizes Salvador as one of the guys from the gang, and says that his older brother Louie knew him. Mac cautions Danny to stay away from the case, and Danny agrees. Hammerback turns to Jim Mooney and shows Stella that the weapon used to kill him was a short knife, possibly somewhat blunt. Mac takes the gun from the grave, gets it to function again and matches the striations on the fatal bullet to those made by his test fire. Next he turns to the serial number, matching it to a batch stolen fifteen years ago--by none other than Sonny Sassone. Mac tracks the Tanglewood boy down to a construction site he's overseeing. Sonny, charged with the murder of Paul Montenassi in "Tanglewood," beat the murder rap just like he told Mac he would. Mac asks him about the guns, but Sonny is equally as dismissive. Mac vows to get him this time.

Danny has identified a bronze trace on the bed as air stockings--spray on pantyhose--while Adam has matched the handwriting from the mirror to a sample in the handwriting database from a threatening letter sent six years before to a man named Newt Glick who runs a company called Ultimate Date X-perience, where men can pay to take out beautiful women. Stella and Flack suspect the men get more for their money than just a date. Nick denies being in the room, so Stella turns to the women and swabs their legs for trace of the air stockings. Thanks to a Fastscan facial reconstruction Adam Ross was able to do on the skull, Mac was able to make sure a picture of the boy was slipped to a local paper, and Jack Manning identifies the remains as those of his son, Bobby, who disappeared fifteen years ago in 1991. Manning doesn't recognize Zabo, but he admits Bobby sold drugs. In the DNA lab, Lindsay is shocked to get a surprising match on DNA from the cigarette butt. She takes it to Danny--it's his DNA, a match to his internal reference sample.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

"My only major complaint with the episode is that I strongly believe there should have been no B-case. Two cases work fine for the regular run-of-the-mill episodes, but for one where a main character is in trouble, I think a secondary case is more often than not an irritating distraction. The audience doesn't care much about whether the prostitute or her manager or her would-be savior killed the banker when Danny career is in jeopardy and his brother is lying in a coma. I also think the developments with Stella were out of place in this episode, but more on that later."
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH THE ABOVE.. WHEN ONE OF THE TEAM IS IN FOCUS WE DO NOT NEED A SECOND STORY.. WE NEED SOME DEPTH.

^Yeah, and it's funny because NY seems to be the only show to do this out of the three. Miami is almost all single story cases, and CSI will do a single story if the case merits it. Can you imagine "Grave Danger" with a B-case? Me neither.

So I don't know why CSI: NY is afraid to do it with a major case for their characters. I'm sure next week is going to feel weird, too, given that we'll have the Kid Rock case and Stella's.

I agree that the B case shouldn't have even happened. I too would have liked to have seen more depth to the A case. Scenes such as when Danny was in the hosp with Louie, Mac and Danny, etc. I will say that when I watch it on my VCR, I fast forward the B case because it just wasn't that interesting and I wanted to see Danny!

Agreed...and I would have liked to see those scenes fleshed out and expanded upon. I would have loved a scene between Danny and Louie pre-coma, or even a little more of Danny in general. How did he find out about Louie getting beat up and get to the hospital so fast? Things like that could have been expanded, rather than wasting time on a B-case.

Since they referenced the urban ledgend, it should be noted for the record, the belief that Hoffa is buried in the football field in New York is false. On the programme Mythbusters they buried a dead pig in concrete for six months and then used ground penertrating radar to see what it would look like if someone was buried. They then took the ground penertrating radar to the football feild and scanned in all the locations that people said Hoffa was buried at. They found no evidence that anything was buried.

What ever happened to Hoffa, he was never buried in the New York football field.

Interesting--I didn't know that! Didn't they just get a false lead on Hoffa a few weeks ago, something about him being buried near a horse stable?

Has no-one realised the sheer blatant spolier on the show! NJ:CSI!! Everytime a new CSI dept. is introduced, there's a new series!
NJ:CSI is coming!

That would be funny! I think they're done for now (at least until one of the series ends), but it was kind of cool seeing the NJ CSIs. :D

RSRD... hmmm, as I type, the AXN rerun is going on behind me. Oh well, I can always watch it again and again.

What can I say about it? Hmm... to tell you the truth, it actually was a bit disappointing. Maybe the length of the show was too short for a storyline like that. Things went by too fast right after Danny told Mac about his one night out with Tanglewood. That flashback reminded me so much for Thumpy G hahahahah. So Danny would be about 15-18 back then, right?

Lindsey looked old in this episode. Idk. She was introduced late in the episode and surprise, surprise -- she was the one who found out about the DNA and the connection to Danny. Connection was 0% in all points. Sorry.

What happened to Louie happened so fast, I actually didn't understand it. Blame it to time-constraints and maybe the writers got carried away with the Danny-romance aspect than to build-up this situation better. It all left me kind of cold.

The hospital scenes were good. Mac's 'order' to Flack to watch over Danny was very nice. At least they didn't overlook the big brother mentality the detective has over the CSI. I wonder what became of that? Lol... anyway, the way Danny addressed their mother "mommy" -- I found that very cute. The scene between the brothers is well done. Setting Danny aside, Carmine Giovinazzo did very well on the emotions on how a little brother would feel seeing his big brother -- his 'hero' -- in that situation.

I don't need a boss, I need a friend.

Finally, Danny was able to voice that out. If only he told that to Flack too. Danny doing the ugly cry was, IMO, just appropriate to close such a loaded episode.

chaostheory08 said:
Lol... anyway, the way Danny addressed their mother "mommy" -- I found that very cute.

You know, I just noticed something about that. I was re-watching "On the Job" and Danny said "I swear to you on my mother's grave"... it may be a continuity error. One season she's dead, the other she's coming to her son's hospital bed. :)

^Yeah, people have pointed that out and I do think it's probably a continuity error of some kind. A definite oops!

There never should have been a B-story with this one--the Tanglewood 2 story deserved the full time, and I would have liked more Sonny Sassone!

Yes! I'll be watching it this Sunday and I've got to write a fan fic (made up of fandom crossovers... and some other stuff) based on it. Heck, I'm basing stories from CSI storylines on that fics.

*squeels* I can't wait to watch it!

I guess the 'grave' line maybe just an expression. He said it in the same episode, right?

Anyway, the B-story became irrelevant to the whole thing after Louie got beaten up. The episode should be about Tanglewood only - after all, this story line is one of the most interesting and viewers really wanted a complete follow-up.

Well, Danny did say, "My mother still dresses me." in the Season 2 premiere. Could've been just a joke though.

Back