CSI: Miami - "Healing"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by furryfurbi, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

Wow i wanna read more

2. Furbi

Furbi Witness

Healing Chapter XII - Thoughts

It was just after noon on the following day. An unusually late-for-the-season tempest had blown in almost instantly, bringing with it black skies and violent bursts of thunder. The sea turned angry and choppy, and large drops of rain had just begun to fall.
    Horatio stood by the window in his office, watching lightning streak across the sky. Squalls had always fascinated and intrigued him. If, on a rare occasion, he was with a lady friend during one, Horatio would seize the opportunity to spend a little quality time with that special someone - horizontally. He couldn't help it; thunderstorms turned him on. It was something he would never admit to anyone, even a lover. In the few times he'd actually pondered the reasons for this, all he could figure was that the furious nature of the storms must ignite his own short and often violent temper, transforming what would usually be released as anger or frustration into desire. Often, during a midday squall, Horatio would find himself in the lab or in his Hummer, caught up in a vivid flashback of one of these summertime delights. He could easily say the best sexual experiences of his life had all occurred while the outside weather was less than favorable.
    Of course, that was all in past days. He hadn't dated since Marisol's death or even felt desire toward any woman. When he'd lost his wife, it was as though everything, including his heart, had become frozen. Lifeless. He had no interest in physical pleasure and intimacy, knowing it would only make him yearn for Marisol more. Horatio had thought he would be without the company of a woman until the day he died.
    Then he met Renee, and all those dormant feelings, all that suppressed longing to be close, to hold someone again, had returned with a vengeance. He thought about her constantly. At night, he was ashamed to admit, those notions would venture into the erotic realm. He ached to take her in his arms, to kiss her, to make love to her - wild and passionate at first, then slowly, gently, to show her how much he cared. He remembered with perfect clarity how she tasted. Their first kiss, however brief, had left him desperate for more. How he ached to touch her again!
    Horatio closed his eyes, unable to help the low moan that escaped his throat. His fingers pressed hard against the window as he envisioned running his hands over her smooth skin, worshipping her beautiful body...
    "Control yourself, Caine," he said aloud, forcing himself to face reality - he hadn't spoken to Renee in two weeks, and she'd probably sooner endure a Washington, D.C. winter than allow him to hold and caress her.
    But he had to do something. Making a split-second decision, he grabbed his jacket and strode out of the crime lab. He avoided the Hummers parked outside the building, knowing that even though Rick Stetler was no longer, taking one of the department vehicles for a personal errand was not responsible behavior. It was a fairly slow day as far as cases went, so he figured he could slip away for a short while without causing a stir, especially since he was "grounded" in the lab.
    By the time Horatio reached the employees' parking on the opposite side of the building, he had to stop and lean against a stone column until he caught his breath. He mentally cursed Randy North, who deserves to be right where he was. Yes, losing custody of your children was painful, but Randy had continued to make the wrong choices. And now he would rot in jail for shooting a cop and trying to drown another.
    Fucker, Horatio thought as he rubbed his wound.
    Composing himself, he took a deep breath and walked as quickly as his injury would allow to his beloved 1967 Pontiac Bonneville coupe. He'd bought it years ago, to celebrate his promotion to Lieutenant. Back in those days, one of his favorite things to do was to take the car out for a long drive. It always helped clear his thoughts and relax him after a tough case. In the past several months, he hadn't been able to find the time, so involved was he in tracking down the escapees from Miami West prison. He did wash and wax it the gorgeous plum paint faithfully, however. Kyle loved the car, perhaps even more than he. Horatio had contemplated giving it to his son when he returned home, not just because he fancied it, but to show the boy that he trusted him to care for it.
    Horatio eased himself into the driver's seat, only realizing once he had shut the door what a mess he looked. His jaunt from the front of the crime lab to the parking lot in the rain had left his suit damp and his hair mussed. There was nothing he could do about his clothes, so he simply ran a hand through his red locks until they were somewhat tamed.
    Then he turned the key and swung the big sedan out of the crime lab parking lot. He was headed for the Secret Service Miami field office.

3. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Wow so awesome. It's the way I can imagine H.
    And I like this way:)

4. Furbi

Furbi Witness

Healing XIII - You Haven't Called

Horatio pulled up to the four-story building that was the United States Secret Service's Miami office. The nondescript concrete structure was light years away from the glass-walled, almost space-age feel of the MDPD crime lab. It reminded him of the station house in which he had worked back in the nineties, before CSI even existed.
    He walked through the rain – which could now properly be called a downpour – and through the front doors. He presented his credentials to an agent whose ID read Samuel Fox standing just inside.
    "And what is the purpose of this visit, Lieutenant Caine?" Agent Fox asked.
    "I’m here to see Agent Locklear about the Jack Toller case," he replied as his keen CSI’s eyes sized the other man up. Fox looked about forty, tall and slender, with dark skin and dark eyes.
    The agent’s brow furrowed. "I’m not familiar with the Jack Toller case. Is it an active investigation?"
    "Counterfeiting, Agent Fox," Horatio stated. "Hundred-dollar-bill plates. Bernard Ashcroft. Do you get my drift?"
    Fox leaned in closer. "That is a top secret issue. How the hell do you know about the plates?"
    "Are you going to take me to Agent Locklear, or am I supposed to find my own way?"
    "You’re not going anywhere until you answer my question, Lieutenant," Fox hissed.
    "What’s going on, Sam?"
    Both men turned. A grin spread over Horatio’s face at the familiar voice.
    "Renee, this man says he wants to talk to you about Operation Benjamin. County cop." He added the last words with a noticeable air of contempt.
    Horatio didn’t bother to correct that he was a CSI. He just wished Agent Fox would disappear on the spot. He kept staring at Renee, thinking that she was even more beautiful then he remembered.
    Renee looked from Sam to Horatio. "He’s okay," she said. "I’ll take it from here."
    "You sure?"
    She nodded. "I got it. Thanks, Sam. Lieutenant?" She wiggled her finger at him. "My office."
    Horatio followed, aware of Agent Fox’s hawk-like stare on his back that continued until they disappeared into Renee’s cubicle.
    She shut the door behind them.
    "Sit down, Horatio."
    There was barely enough room for the two of them and her desk. He eased himself into a chair, slowly. They faced each other for several seconds, unsure of what to say. All the things he had planned to say to her fled Horatio’s mind faster than Memmo Fiero from jail.
    "How are you doing?" Renee asked softly.
    "I’m better, thank you," he replied, grateful that she had taken the initiative.
    "That’s good," she almost whispered.
    Their eyes met for a second before she looked away and began fiddling with her wristwatch.
    "You haven’t called," she murmured.
    "I know," Horatio sighed. "I’m sorry about that. I tried to, but I-I didn’t know what to say."
    Renee raised her eyes. "I don’t know what to say to you either."
    "Then let me start." Horatio took a deep breath. "I’m so sorry for pushing you away. I should have trusted you more."
    She looked surprised. She stared at him for a long while before saying, " I’m sorry too, Horatio. I was moving too quickly, and I – I didn’t realize the prize I’d found in you."
    "What do you mean?"
    Renee sighed. "I’m used to one-night-stands and hooking up with assholes who expect to get laid on the first date. Guys who don’t have respect. But you, you’re different. I’ve never met anyone like you. You’re the kind of man I didn’t think existed, at least not anymore. You’re a real man, Horatio, and you’re very special."
    He was stunned. His brain no longer functioned, so his heart took over and he spoke the truth. "And you are one of the most amazing women I’ve ever met. You’re beautiful, not just in looks but on the inside too. But you make me feel things I haven’t felt in a very long time, and well," he admitted, "I was afraid. I still am."
    Renee didn’t speak for a few moments. She simply sat there with a distant look on her face. Horatio remained stock still, worried he’d said the wrong thing.
    "Horatio, what I said to you that night wasn’t fair," she said finally. "I understand, at least I think I do, what you’ve gone through. I’ve been hurt too. I don’t want to talk about it, but I know what that kind of betrayal does to a person. It destroys your trust."
    He nodded. He could see the pain in her eyes even as she spoke.
    "Yes, it does," he murmured. "It makes you afraid to ever get close to anyone again, to believe that you can be... loved."
    Renee raised her eyebrows. "Well, I wasn’t really talking about love. But I suppose... eventually, it could happen."
    Horatio thought he understood. "You’ve never been in love."
    "I’ve never gotten that close. So, I envy you in a way."
    "Hmm." He was at a loss for words.
    Renee gazed at him. "I’m probably boring you. You don’t want to hear me whine about all the shit relationships I’ve had."
    "You’re not boring me."
    After another pregnant pause, she said, "So... does this mean you’ll give me another chance?"
    "Give you another chance?" Horatio was incredulous. "I’m the one who should be begging for forgiveness."
    "You didn’t do anything wrong."
    "Well, neither did you."
    "Why don’t we just forget about that night?" she asked, a small smile forming on her face.
    He nodded. "Agreed."
    "Horatio?"
    "Yes?"
    "Thank you."
    "Thank you," he replied with a smile of his own.

5. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Wow that was really lovely.
    Finally he did it :D

6. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Furbi, let me just tell you that I am REALLY enjoying this story. I can't tell you how much. Can you possibly tell us faithful readers how many chapters are left? :)

7. Furbi

Furbi Witness

Only a couple more in this, but I already have the first 4 chapters of 'Healing II' done :)

8. Furbi

Furbi Witness

Healing XIV - Shall We?

Horatio was nervous. Not like he had been when he'd met Renee, however; this was a good kind of nervous. He was happy. His heart - and stomach - had been doing somersaults since she had called him that morning and asked if he'd like to go to dinner with her.
    He still had 20 minutes before the end of the day shift, at which point he would go home and change. Horatio thought he'd done a pretty good job of keeping the giddy grin off his face all day. Only Calleigh had commented that he must be feeling better. He was grateful that the rest of the CSI's were too wrapped up in their work to pay much attention.
    He had been doing a lot of thinking since the visit to Renee's office, when they'd come to the understanding that each just didn't want to get hurt. He'd thought about his disastrous past relationships, from Rebecca Nevins to Julia Winston. And of course he had thought about Marisol. She was doubtless peering down from the peaceful clouds of the afterlife, watching over him. He wondered if she would be proud of him for taking a chance with someone new. He hoped she approved of Renee.
    Right then and there, Horatio made a promise, not only to himself but to Marisol, that he would treat Renee with the same care and respect he'd given her. He also promised that he would be cautious and take things one day at a time. Frank had asked him what he had to lose. The answer was really quite simple: his heart.
    Using the directions Renee had given him over the phone, Horatio found her apartment with ease. As he surveyed the neighborhood in which it was located, one word stuck in his mind: dingy. Most of the houses or apartment buildings were shabby and faded, and a few looked as though they should have been condemned long before he arrived in Miami. Graffiti littered walls and street signs. He fervently hoped Renee didn't drive her pristine Suburban home from work; his own vehicle, though older, still stuck out like a sore thumb.
    Even though he was only leaving it for a few moments, Horatio locked the Bonneville's doors after exiting the car. Then he slowly made his way up the two flights of stairs to Renee's floor, gritting his teeth as he felt the familiar dull ache in his abdomen return. He paused at the top, leaning heavily on the not-too-substantial handrail.
    "Hey," a voice said.
    His keen CSI senses instantly on full alert, he looked up and saw a young black man - or perhaps boy was a better term - staring at him. He was dressed in baggy pants, a black tank top, and obnoxious red-and-white sneakers. A multitude of gold chains hung around his neck and tattoos lined his muscular arms, neck, and chest. Horatio was never one to condone profiling, but his mind screamed, Typical gangbanger!
    "Man, what's up with you?" the boy asked, his last words sounding like "witchu."
    Horatio forced himself to straighten up. "I'm all right, thank you."
    The overly gracious and formal statement was so habitual, he didn't even realize how ridiculous he sounded. The young man and his two cronies sitting on the wall behind him snickered. Shaking it off, he kept walking towards Renee's apartment. He didn't look back at them, but kept a wary ear.
    "Nice threads," one of the kids called out, and they all burst into mocking laughter once more.
    Ignoring them, Horatio quickly found apartment 208 and knocked on the pale blue door.
    "Who is it?"
    He could have sworn his heart skipped a beat upon hearing the familiar voice.
    "It's Horatio," he announced.
    A few seconds later, the deadbolt was unlocked and the door opened halfway. Renee stood there in a short black skirt and a low-cut fuchsia halter top. Horatio took one look at the more-than-ample cleavage spilling out of the garment and his brain slid right into the gutter.
    Forcing himself to keep his eyes on her face and not on her amazing figure, he murmured, "You look amazing, as always."
    She smiled. "You're a sweetie. Come on in, Horatio."
    He stepped into the small apartment, his eyes taking in every detail. It wasn't as shabby as the outside, but was a far cry from what he would have expected.
    Renee obviously noticed his surprise. "I know, this place is a shithole, but I used it while I was working at the airstrip. Since Toller got away again, I haven't even had the time to start looking for something else."
    Horatio couldn't help but grin. Shithole described it perfectly.
    "I don't mind," he said honestly.
    "Give me one minute and then I'll be ready," she said before ducking into a small cubicle he assumed was the bathroom.
    As he waited, Horatio noticed a cheaply framed full-length mirror hanging on the wall nearest him. He studied his appearance: loose-fitting black slacks and a deep red shirt that was mostly obscured by the black leather jacket he'd chosen to wear in place of his usual work fare. He couldn't see anything wrong.
    Renee emerged from the restroom, a black leather purse hanging on her shoulder.
    "Ready, gorgeous?" she asked.
    "Uh," he paused. "Do I look all right?"
    "Of course you do. You look very handsome tonight, Horatio. But then again, you always do."
    "Thank you," he offered her a tiny grin, then held out his arm. "Shall we?"
    Renee looked surprised at first, but accepted.
    "We shall indeed," she said with a warm smile, and the couple headed out into the balmy Miami evening.

9. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

Cant wait to see more of this awesome story Furbi

10. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Goodie--a sequel!! This makes my heart VERY happy! If its as well written as I, then I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable read as well. :)

11. Furbi

Furbi Witness

Healing Chapter XV – A Close Call, Dinner, And Conversation

Arm in arm, Horatio led Renee out of her apartment and down the stairs. Though descending put less of a strain on his body than ascending, he was still feeling some discomfort. He kept his back straight and hoped she didn't notice.
    As they walked across the parking lot, Horatio saw the young men he had encountered earlier were once again dawdling, this time on a curb by the street. When the would-be gangsters caught a glimpse of Renee sashaying across the pavement, they let out wolf whistles.
    "Hey, girl," the one Horatio assumed to be the leader called out. "Come on over here. I'll show you a good time."
    Neither Horatio nor his date paid them any mind.
    "You gonna walk away from me?"
    He kept a tight hold on Renee's arm and his eyes straight ahead.
    "No girl walks away from Antwone!" the kid yelled. "Ho!"
    Horatio stopped dead in his tracks and whirled around. He released Renee's arm and began walking towards Antwone and company.
    "What did you just call her?" he asked, his voice taking on the low tone he used to interrogate.
    "Horatio – don't!" Renee called.
    Antwone approached him with a cocky, brash swagger. "Get lost. This don't concern you."
    "Where the lady's involved, it does concern me," Horatio replied.
    He was unarmed and didn't have any sort of police identification on him, and he doubted he could take any one of them if it came to a fistfight. But his protective instinct to guard Renee overshadowed all logic.
    "Why don't you get out of here before I bust in your face, bitch?" Antwone retorted, as the boys behind him hooted.
    Black rage surged through Horatio's veins. His eyes flashed a deadly shade of deep ocean blue. Forgetting about his injury, he lurched forward and grabbed Antwone by the front of his tank top. The other two stood, prepared to back up their leader.
    Just then, Horatio felt a pair of hands grab him and pull him back. Caught unaware, he let go of the boy's shirt.
    "Stop it!" Renee yelled. "He's not worth it, Horatio!"
    With surprising strength, she dragged him away from the fuming Antwone. He expected the boys to attack, but they made no move to.
    Horatio relaxed his body. He knew she was right.
    "Okay," he conceded. "Let's go."
    Renee trained a deadly gaze on Antwone and his goons as she walked away, her hand on Horatio's shoulder.
    Inside the car, he locked the doors and started it up. As they pulled out of the parking lot, she turned to him.
    "You didn't have to do that, Horatio."
    "Yes, I did," he hissed, gripping the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles blanched. "When you are in my company, I won't let anyone talk to you like that."
    She stared at him for a long while. Then, once again taking him by surprise, she leaned over and pecked him gently on the cheek.
    The feel of her soft lips washed away all of his other emotions. Feeling a wave of fierce passion rush through his body, he allowed his eyes to fall closed momentarily before remembering he was behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. It was incredible how she could set his entire body on fire with such a simple, chaste gesture.
    "Thank you," he murmured.
    Renee slowly pulled away. "No. Thank you, Horatio. You're an amazing man."
    Horatio felt heat rise to his cheeks. Not knowing what to say to that, he simply drove on in silence, unaware that Renee was gazing at his pensive profile with a hungry look in her eyes.
    Though Horatio had managed to be somewhat calmer around Renee that evening, the butterflies jumped right back into his stomach as soon as they entered the restaurant, which was surprisingly quiet for a Friday. After giving his name to the maitre d', Horatio led Renee to their table. It was secluded enough so that if the establishment happened to have a boom in attendance, they wouldn't be crowded out. Horatio watched his companion; she was studying her surroundings with an amused expression.
    "Is this place all right?" he asked, worried.
    Renee looked surprised at the question. "It's great, Horatio. I just didn't think you would choose somewhere so... romantic."
    "Actually, Marisol and I used to come here together," he admitted. "It was one of her favorites."
    She nodded. "You loved her very much, didn't you?"
    "I did," Horatio replied, feeling the ever-present ache in his chest, the yearning for his beloved wife. "She was everything to me."
    Renee took his rough, callused hand in her own smooth, feminine one. "I'm sorry you lost her."
    "So am I," he said softly. "But I don't want to talk about her right now. I promise I'll tell you more about her someday, if you would like."
    "I would."
    Later, after they had eaten, it was Renee who restarted the conversation.
    "Tell me about your son. You said he was in the army, right?"
    Horatio instantly brightened. He loved any chance to boast about Kyle, his pride and joy.
    "That's right," he said. "He enlisted in 2008 and this is his second tour of duty."
    "When will he be home?"
    "I don't know. We haven't spoken since the shooting."
    "I bet you worry about him."
    "I think about him every day. I can't say I approve of the path he's chosen, but he's very brave and I'm so proud of him."
    "He's a lucky kid to have you. My father didn't care a shit about me or my mom."
    Horatio knew that feeling all too well. "I understand."
    She was quick on the uptake. "I get the impression your childhood wasn't all sunshine and rainbows."
    He shook his head. "My father did care about my mother and I – enough to beat us any chance he got, and my brother too."
    "I'm sorry." Renee blew out a breath. "That's terrible."
    In his dreams, Horatio could still feel his bones breaking beneath his father's enraged punches, still hear his mother's screams as he slammed her head against the kitchen counter, and his little brother's terrified cries from the knowledge that he was next – and there wasn't a damn thing in the world they could do to stop it. The abuse grew worse and worse as his father continued drinking, but his mother was too terrified to take the children and leave, figuring there was no place he couldn't find her.
    "Horatio?" His date's voice brought him back from the nightmare that had been his early years.
    "Sorry." He quickly shook away the memories. "I was... just reflecting."
    "No problem," she replied. "So, what does your brother do?"
    Horatio paused, feeling his insides clench at the mention of Raymond. Even now, the loss still hurt like a fresh knife wound in his heart.
    "He was a cop. Undercover narcotics. He died on the job six years ago."
    That part was not all truth. Ray hadn't exactly been on the job when the Mala Noches had beaten him to death in a shack in Rio de Janeiro, but Horatio chose to remember his brother for the good cop and man he once was.
    "I thought your wife died six years ago?"
    He closed his eyes as a tidal wave of fresh agony washed over him. "Six weeks after Marisol was shot, Ray died."
    "God, Horatio. I know it doesn't mean much, but I'm so sorry."
    "No... it means a lot." He offered her a sad smile. "I never talk about this."
    "I can see why." After a short pause, she said, "So... is your son all the family you have?"
    He nodded. "I have my team, and I love them like family. But Kyle is my only blood relative."
    "Does he look like you?"
    Horatio's face broke into a genuine smile. "Yes, he does. He's a blond, though – he got that from his mother. I don't carry a photo with me. I'm sure you understand why."
    "Absolutely," Renee said. "You don't want anyone gaining leverage on you by threatening him."
    "Exactly."
    He pulled out his wallet and flipped through a variety of business and credit cards before finding a small, folded sheet of paper.
    "This is Marisol."
    She carefully took it from him and studied the photo. It was Horatio's favorite of them together, on their wedding day. Marisol wore a beautiful white dress and held a lily in her hand. They were both smiling, and looked so carefree, happy, and relaxed.
    "She's beautiful," Renee said, but her expression was confused.
    It took him a moment to grasp why.
    "Marisol is not Kyle's mother," he explained.
    "I gathered that," she replied with a grin.
    "Kyle's mother abandoned him when he was a baby. I didn't meet him until he was sixteen years old."
    "Wow." Renee looked genuinely fascinated. "You guys are lucky to have each other. But you know that, don't you?"
    "I do, and I thank God every day for bringing Kyle into my life. I always wanted children of my own."
    "Do you think there are any other long-lost offspring of yours out there, waiting for you to find them?"
    Stunned, Horatio's head snapped up.
    "Sorry," Renee said, but she couldn't hide her amusement. "That was uncalled for."
    He shook his head. "No, it wasn't. You just caught me off guard." He paused a moment before adding, "And no, I doubt it. I was never that kind of man."
    A sly grin crossed her face. "Ah... I see."
    He didn't exactly know what she meant, but with the way she was looking at him, the room suddenly felt fifteen degrees hotter.
    "I think we'd better get some fresh air," he suggested.

12. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Lovely chapter.
    I liked how H revealed his past to Renee. And wow I almost expected him to knock off the head of that brat.

13. Furbi

Furbi Witness

The final chapter :)

Healing Chapter XVI - A Proposal

Arm in arm once more, Horatio and Renee walked for a few yards before happening upon a bench. For a few minutes, they merely sat in silence, listening to the gentle motion of the waves against the shore. Horatio gazed at his date. She looked so amazing, with the moonlight glinting off her shiny blond hair. More than anything, he wanted to kiss her, but he wasn't sure if it would be appropriate. For now, he would settle with holding hands.
    Cautiously, he reached out and took her hand in his, running his thumb over her knuckles. Marisol had loved that. He had done it many times with her, most often during her chemotherapy sessions or in public, when anything more physical would have been a violation of Horatio's modesty code. Renee tightened her grip on his hand and turned to face him with a soft smile.
    He looked deep into her eyes and said in a husky voice, "You're so beautiful, sweetheart."
    "Sweetheart?" she replied, eyebrows raised.
    "I -"
    Horatio stopped dead in his tracks. The pet name had just slipped out, probably because he had been thinking of Marisol.
    "I didn't mean -" he tried again, but Renee gently placed a finger over his lips.
    "You can call me sweetheart if you want."
    Heart pounding, he gazed at her for a few moments before quietly asking, "Renee?"
    "Yes, Horatio?"
    "Could - could I kiss you?"
    "I'd like that," she whispered.
    He may not have been the most confident man when it came to interacting with women, but Horatio was sure of one thing: he was a damn good kisser. Of course, he was never one to brag, but he'd locked lips with enough lovers to know exactly what to do and how to do it. He placed one arm around Renee's shoulders, drawing her close, then captured her lips in a gentle yet undeniably passionate embrace. Closing his eyes, he poured all his pent-up desire and need into the kiss, his tongue plunging deep into her mouth. Renee moaned against his lips. The sound was quickly driving him into a frenzy.
    At last, the need for oxygen became too much to ignore. He pulled away, their lips only inches apart. They were both panting like dogs, but he didn't care.
    "God, Horatio," she breathed. "Where did you learn to kiss like that?"
    He grinned. "Practice, sweetheart. Practice."
    This time, the word fell from his lips without the slightest bit of uncomfortability.
    Renee placed her hands on either side of his face, then traced her fingertips down his right cheek and over his lips.
    "You're amazing," she murmured.
    Horatio closed his eyes again, enjoying the tender gesture.
    "Come here, gorgeous."
    Renee pressed her lips against his, her tongue quickly pushing its way inside his mouth. She ran her hands through his hair, pulling on the strands. Horatio felt a stab of need hit him below the belt - his body cried out for more contact, desperately seeking an end to the six-year drought it had suffered through. He knew he had to stop this before he lost all control and began tearing her clothes off.
    He broke away, gasping for air. Immediately, Renee began kissing his neck and lips, all the while whispering soft words to him.
    "Why don't... we order some... dessert?" she panted. "Then we can... take it home... and eat it in bed."
    Oh, sweet Jesus, Horatio groaned inwardly. There were no words to describe how much he wanted and needed her right now, but his sense of chivalry demanded that he take her home immediately. After all, he had promised himself he would go slow.
    Summoning his courage, he said, "I don't think we should... not tonight."
    Renee looked absolutely crestfallen. "Why not?"
    "Because I don't want to take advantage of you, sweetheart," he said as gently as he could given the way his heart - and other parts of his body - were yearning for her.
    "Horatio, you won't be taking advantage of me." She placed a kiss on his lips. "I want you."
    "I know, and believe me, I want you too. But I just think we should wait, and get to know each other better. Take things slow. Could you do that for me, sweetheart?"
    She didn't speak for a moment, and gazing at her, Horatio could have sworn there were tears in her eyes.
    "I didn't think men like you existed," she said finally.
    His brows furrowed in confusion. "Men like me?"
    "Real men," Renee replied. She took his hand in hers once more and began playing with his callused fingers. "I'm so used to the kind of guys who expect sex on the first date, and don't have much respect. You're so different, sometimes I find it hard to get used to."
    "And I promise, when the time is right, I won't disappoint you."
    "I know," she whispered, before giving him one last kiss, a long, tender embrace that he couldn't have pulled away from if he tried.
    They stayed there for a while before Horatio decided it was about time to take her home. One thing still bothered him, however.
    "I could arrange for a unit to spend the night near your apartment, if you'd like," he offered.
    Renee laughed, a deep, rich sound. "I hope you're kidding, Horatio. Don't you think I could handle those boys?"
    "I don't doubt you could. I just feel I need to protect you."
    "Well, you don't. How about you stop worrying about me so much and get a good night's rest?" She leaned in until her lips were touching his ear. "Save your strength for that 'right time'"
    Horatio blushed, grateful that the darkness of night hid his embarrassment.
    "I will, sweetheart, you can count on it. Now let me take you home."
    As he led Renee to the car, he couldn't help the wide smile that spread over his face. He was happy, happier than he'd been in a very long time.

14. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

Aww cant wait to read more

15. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

*squee* Yay! Finally he did it! :)

Like this chapter.