CSI: Miami--'Guerillas In The Mist'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

Three gun runners are literally vaporized at a warehouse at the Port of Miami while handling smuggled firearms. Calleigh thinks the carnage is the work of the DX4, an illegal electronic super-weapon known as the Vaporizer capable of firing 200 bullets at once. DNA from blood left on the men's shoes--all that remains of them--identifies them as three men with gun smuggling priors. DNA on a cigarette found at the warehouse leads the CSIs to Gabriel Soto, but he denies being the shooter--or a smuggler, though he admits the slain men were in his employ. Customs Agent Tanya Thorpe shows up at the station and tells Tripp and Ryan the slaying of the men in a warehouse was actually a government operation, meant to deter the men from smuggling the weapons overseas. The operation was contracted out to a company called Peregrine Security, but when Horatio and Tripp visit the agency, they're met with resistance from company head Steve Lancaster and Patrick Austin, both of whom claim their operation is protected under the Patriot Act. Lancaster flatly refuses to hand over the Vaporizer. The officers are forced to leave, only to be called to the scene of Lancaster's murder just hours later. The man is found dead near a pier, and the cause of his demise isn't immediately apparent.

Back at the lab, Alexx finds the cause of Lancaster's death: an air embolism, the result of someone injecting one of his veins with an air bubble. The killer used a stun gun on him first. Horatio meets the new CEO of Peregrine, Darren Butler, but he's no more helpful than his predecessor was. A print on Lancaster's watch leads the CSIs to James Reilly, a former Navy Seal who knew Lancaster from his Seal days. He also worked at Peregrine for a brief time before going on to run a computer repair firm. He tells the CSIs he ran into Lancaster earlier that day and shook hands with him, but denies anything beyond that went on. His alibi seems to check out, so Delko turns to a laptop recovered from Lancaster's SUV. He learns the op that led to the death of the three men is labeled as "incomplete" but before he can find out why, the hard drive is deleted remotely by someone at Peregrine. Horatio angrily confronts Butler, who makes no apologies for his actions, but admits that the Vaporizer, which was in Lancaster's SUV, is now missing. Calleigh matches the stun gun marks on Lancaster's body to a government issue Sentry, leading Ryan to suspect Thorpe. She denies attacking Lancaster, and the electronic record on her stun gun backs her up: it's never been used.

When Alexx finds toner ink in Lancaster's eye--the site of the fatal injection--the CSIs zero in on Reilly. Reilly was pushed out of Peregrine--the company he thought up--by Lancaster, and then watched as Lancaster turned it into a killing machine. He killed Lancaster, but he denies taking the Vaporizer from the SUV. Delko finds a hair in the SUV from Gabriel Soto, and he goes to question the smuggler at the docks. Soto admits to meeting with Lancaster in the SUV to discuss a buyer he'd found for the Vaporizer. Delko's questioning is interrupted when shots are fired and a man who looks like Soto is gunned down. A fingerprint from the shooter's perch matches Patrick Austin, who tells Horatio that he was attempting to take out Soto so Peregrine could deal with his buyer directly. Horatio demands Patrick tell him where the sale is taking place, and Austin points him Butler's way. Horatio tracks Butler to an airfield, and Butler fires at his Hummer with the Vaporizer. Horatio escapes just in time, shooting Butler and the two buyers before Butler can take him out with the Vaporizer.

Analysis:

Another Miami entry with a clever title, "Guerillas in the Mist" features one hell of an opening scene. The Vaporizer is certainly a scary piece of weaponry. Seeing three men literally explode into virtual nothingness, leaving behind only blood drops, is a chilling sight. Is the Vaporizer itself just a creative invention of the CSI: Miami writers' imaginations? I don't have access to government weapons files, but a quick Google search reveals that the DX4 Vaporizer gun is actually a smoke dispenser that can be used to distribute tobacco--or marijuana (story). Interesting, but probably not deadly in the way that the gun featured on Miami was. Real or not, it was one cool--and scary--piece of weaponry.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

When Eric and Calleigh hook up and Stetler fires them they really need to transfer to like New Orleans or something, so we can get CSI: New Orleans with good writers and good actors and none of this Horatio bullshit. That would be my dream CSI. And there would be minorities. There would be minorities!

And no, Alexx can't come. She's gotten so freaking stupid lately, with her inane observations and her obsession with voodoo and inability to be good at anything.

Alexx: There's no gunshot wound or stab wound so OBVIOUSLY SOMEBODY INJECTED HIM WITH AN AIR BUBBLE AND OMG CALLEIGH IT'S THE PERFECT CRIME YOU'LL NEVER FIND THE KILLER NEVER EVER!!
Calleigh: Well, Alexx, what if we find a finger print around the puncture wound? Or epithelials? Or a hair? What if the victim struggled and scratched the killer and there's skin under his fingernails? Wouldn't we find the killer then?
Alexx: OMG that would do it! Totes!

What the... sigh. Skipper is like the most arrogant loser in existance, like those Star War nerds who spend the bulk of their time spewing Star Wars trivia and playing WoW and they think they're so superior to the rest of the world but they still live with their parents and the last time they touched a pair of boobs they were feeding, but they still feel like they're better than everyone? That's Ryan.

Natalia... no, let's not talk about her.

Even right now it feels as if Eric and Calleigh are in a different show within the show, and their show is so much better than the Horatio show, it's not even funny. And I'm not talking about the romance, I'm talking about the characters and their individual storylines. It's like they get their own writer and said writer does a much better job writing for them than he/she does writing for Ho. And if the Horatio show doesn't end up with Horatio blowing up to pieces I'm gonna have to write a strongly worded letter.

The laptop scene was so ridiculous. "Turn it off!" "I can't... I can't!" It's a LAPTOP! It runs on BATTERIES! Just take the battery out! God!

This fucking show!
emot-argh.gif

midnight_tiptoes said:
When Eric and Calleigh hook up and Stetler fires them they really need to transfer to like New Orleans or something, so we can get CSI: New Orleans with good writers and good actors and none of this Horatio bullshit. That would be my dream CSI. And there would be minorities. There would be minorities!

:lol: Well, CSI: New Orleans would be fun. It would be CSI: NO. As in, "No Horatio," right? ;) :lol:

And no, Alexx can't come. She's gotten so freaking stupid lately, with her inane observations and her obsession with voodoo and inability to be good at anything.

Alexx: There's no gunshot wound or stab wound so OBVIOUSLY SOMEBODY INJECTED HIM WITH AN AIR BUBBLE AND OMG CALLEIGH IT'S THE PERFECT CRIME YOU'LL NEVER FIND THE KILLER NEVER EVER!!
Calleigh: Well, Alexx, what if we find a finger print around the puncture wound? Or epithelials? Or a hair? What if the victim struggled and scratched the killer and there's skin under his fingernails? Wouldn't we find the killer then?
Alexx: OMG that would do it! Totes!

:lol: :lol: :lol: What happened to Alexx's screentime? I know she didn't have a lot before, but now it seems like she spends all of her time in the basement morgue and only talks to Calleigh.

What the... sigh. Skipper is like the most arrogant loser in existance, like those Star War nerds who spend the bulk of their time spewing Star Wars trivia and playing WoW and they think they're so superior to the rest of the world but they still live with their parents and the last time they touched a pair of boobs they were feeding, but they still feel like they're better than everyone? That's Ryan.

Poor Ryan...but that really cracked me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even right now it feels as if Eric and Calleigh are in a different show within the show, and their show is so much better than the Horatio show, it's not even funny. And I'm not talking about the romance, I'm talking about the characters and their individual storylines. It's like they get their own writer and said writer does a much better job writing for them than he/she does writing for Ho. And if the Horatio show doesn't end up with Horatio blowing up to pieces I'm gonna have to write a strongly worded letter.

:lol: Oh, you would have a party. :lol: But Calleigh and Eric really have had great stories this season, and the part with Eric flashing back to the shooting where he was injured was so well done. Why can't the show have more of things like that? That was a great moment.

The laptop scene was so ridiculous. "Turn it off!" "I can't... I can't!" It's a LAPTOP! It runs on BATTERIES! Just take the battery out! God!

This fucking show!
emot-argh.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was kind of crazy, although I do kind of buy it because sometimes I can't even get my computer to quit a program, let alone turn off. Computers can be bastards. :mad:

But, nothing tops Horatio getting out of his Hummer while it's on fire with not even a singed hair! That was truly nuts. :rolleyes:

Great review Kristine. :D

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Horatio must be made of bubble wrap.

Top41 said
But Calleigh and Eric really have had great stories this season, and the part with Eric flashing back to the shooting where he was injured was so well done. Why can't the show have more of things like that? That was a great moment.

I agree. That had to be my favorite part of the episode--it was just handled really well and Adam Rodriguez has been doing a tremendous job this season re the storyline he was handed. :)

Like midnight said, this show seems to be better off with just Calleigh and Eric. :lol: Their scenes have been of my favorite all season. Kudos to them for keeping me watching!

That was kind of crazy, although I do kind of buy it because sometimes I can't even get my computer to quit a program, let alone turn off. Computers can be bastards. :mad:

I would have thought they'd unplug it, at least that's what I'd do. :lol: Didn't they do that on NY? But yeah computers these days are buggers.

Oh well, the title was better.

Again, awesome review!

^Thank you! :)

Bubblewrap--I like that. :lol: Seriously, watching him emerge from that Hummer gave me a big laugh. :lol:

Adam Rodriguez has been awesome this season, and I love how he's handled the aftermath of Delko's shooting. He's done a lot with it, and it was great to see it touched upon here.

The problem with unplugging the laptop is that they run on battery power, so probably unplugging it and removing the battery would be the way to go, but this is Miami...that laptop probably had a hidden back up battery or something... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos.

You make the show sound much better than it is. Mondy, it was like pulling teeth!

Thanks for the reviews, I actually feel sorry for you for having to sit through it. Super H needs a reality check. Big time.

The Vaporizer is similar to a new Australian weapon system known as Metal Storm (from Calleigh's description I would have to say they are the same weapon). However I think the writers intentionally exaggerated the weapon's effects. In fact I would almost say the writers changed the name to avoid copyright problems.

For more information: Wikpedia Metal Storm Page

^Interesting! It makes sense that they'd change the name if the weapon is copyrighted. But it's curious that they chose the make/model of an actual vaporizer (air dispenser type thing).

adorelo said:
Kudos.

You make the show sound much better than it is. Mondy, it was like pulling teeth!

Thanks for the reviews, I actually feel sorry for you for having to sit through it. Super H needs a reality check. Big time.

LOL, thank you! Sometimes the Super H stuff really is over the top. :eek:

I find the idea of the Vaporizer - or a weapon like it - so ridiculous, though. Thousands of bullets to kill one person? Really? And I wouldn't want to have to cart that thing around everywhere. Also - how long does it take to reload? It seems like the kind of thing that belongs to the realm of easily-excitable boys that think it would be cool.

^Yeah, it's definitely a bit much, the Vaporizer--something you'd expect to see in sci fi more than in a CSI show.

Back