CSI Kit

i have a csi fingerprint kit with fingerprint dust and flap lifters etc i don't know if that helps you or not

Forensics_Guy said:
I have a portable bullet impact testing kit, as well as a presumptive blood testing kit.

But isn't that because you work in a forensic lab? I seem to remember that you worked as a firearm examiner, in nome laboratry.......

If you do work as a CSI, wouldn't the lab give the kit , or would you have to buy your own?

thegluups said:

But isn't that because you work in a forensic lab? I seem to remember that you worked as a firearm examiner, in nome laboratry.......

If you do work as a CSI, wouldn't the lab give the kit , or would you have to buy your own?

I used to work in a public lab. I have gone private now. And the last lab I worked in didn't buy the kits, I made them up myself - I just made an extra one for me personally.

thegluups said:

The vast majority of the CSI programs (and CSIs) I'm aware of make their own kits ... which is to say they purchase the varying components and put them into one or more kits that either fit in the trunk of a car or into the larger storage spaces of a CSI van. When I was working CSI for two county sheriff's departments and then one police department, I put together (with agency funds) two basic kits: a camera kit (with a pair of strobes, extra batteries, film, tripods, etc) and a basic evidence collection kit containing a wide range of evidence bags & vials, as well as the collection equipment/supplies (flashlight, forceps, scalpels, distilled water, cloth swatches, print powders, brushes, lift tape, etc etc). In addition, I'd have separate kits for plaster casting of footprints/tire tracks and 'dental' casting of toolmarks ... and, of course, plenty of perimeter tape, locator flags, locator flags, etc.

In general, the individual uniformed or civilian CSIs who responded to 'routine' scenes such as 'breaking & entering', burglary and theft tended to have less complex kits than the CSI teams who responded to the far more complicated rape, robbery, arson and homicide scenes. And I can't imagine a CSI working for a public law enforcement agency having to purchase his/her own CSI kit.

I would love to be able to purchase a ready kit or start building mine as I am seriously interested in forensics and crime scene investigation. Suppose I should start saving money up.

Back