CSi How is it in real life

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by thegluups, Jul 7, 2006.

1. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

CSI's collect evidence at the scene with the Detectives on scene and discuss their initial findings while at the scene, giving the detectives information to begin pursuing leads, to question suspects, etc. The evidence collected (finger prints, and potential DNA, items that may have been used in the crime, etc) is logged at the police station as evidence. Since we do not have lab facilities, the DNA is sent to a state agency for processing.

So, first to arrive on the scene (usually because of a 911 call) is a uniformed officer, in the case of a homicide, detectives, CSI's and coroner are all called in. Detectives get the first look, but can't really touch. CSI's get to look AND touch. And the coroner is the "clean up crew."

2. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

But do they then interrogate suspects and make arrests if necessry or do they just process the scene?

3. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

CSI's just process. Detectives are the only ones that interrogate and make arrests.

4. SamStokes

SamStokes Police Officer

CSI can also do lab work if they are qualifed in that area such as Hair and fibres and stuff and need results faster, but full DNA research for profiles takes longer so better left to the 'Lab rats'.
    Some CSI sit in on Interrogations, but normally just to get swabs and prints.
    But of course they need to ask the detective first.

5. ModernDayDrifter

ModernDayDrifter Lab Technician

don't kill me for this but CSI don't exest their really CSA

6. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

bulletgirl91, where do you live? I know the division is called different things in different areas (SID for Scene Investigation Division), CSU (Crime Scene Unit)...etc...

7. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

But both of them are police officers, right? I'm sorry to be so curious, btu I don't want to choose the wrong career path....

8. ModernDayDrifter

ModernDayDrifter Lab Technician

Crimanalists are not cops.In the shows their cops with badges and guns but in real life their citizens. Crimanalists can cary a gun but if they do it has too be visable and they have to have a permit(to cary it) like any other citizen and if they make an arrest it is not a police arrest it is a citizen arrest