CSI 'does not reflect forensics'

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Sticks, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Sticks

Sticks Dead on Arrival

From BBC News Online

The worrying bit of this article I found was this

:eek:

2. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I think most people forget its a tv series and its meant for entertainment. Some people seriously need a reality check. CSI isnt the real world. Its a created world in which technics are used that are common in RL but also not common in RL.

And you dont need CSI to stay out of the hands of the cops. A movie like Murder By Numbers can do just the same.

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think most people accept that csi is not truly accurate. especially since all they should do is collect evidence and go home ;) they dont really solve crimes in real life.

i am going to send this over to the forensics forum, it would be better suited there

4. steph_r

steph_r Witness

I'd be more concerned about how CSI is affecting the minds of judges and jurors. In actual criminal investigations some officials and members of the jury who have watched the show are actually expecting investigators to come out with some of the bizarre, unrealistically-obtained evidence that they see on CSI!

5. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

What do these people really think?

I mean, yeah, writers have to be accurate on the medical stuff on shows such as ER and Greys Anatomy because those sort of things affect real life. People mimic what they see on TV in real life situations so if the life-saving medical jargon is wrong, peoples lives can be in danger.

But this is a crime drama, who care if some dumb-ass criminal thinks he wont be found if he does [X]? And if he was truly guilty, there would be other evidence to support this. It's not based soley on forensics, just as it isn't based soley on EWT. A court ruling is based on both evidence and testimony in context

CSI isn't real life. It's television.

They can't seriously expect producers to include the entire hours long procedure into DNA analysis (days if there is backlog) and expect people to watch.

Time to wake up and realize this is the entertainment business; not a classroom.

6. LemonJelly06

LemonJelly06 Lab Technician

Sheeeeesh, if it was all so accurate, it would probably be a lot more boring for people to watch, it's entertainment after all. ;)

7. steph_r

steph_r Witness

But remember a lot of people don't think like that. With something like CSI, what they see *could* be true, as most of it is very realistic, even if it's not possible to do. So it's not really a suprise that people are expecting real life to be like CSI.

8. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

If the show gets you interested in forensic science, and you do some extra research, then you'll find out straight away that it's not the real thing ... People who do believe it's dead accurate are people who watch the show like any other police show.

But, one thing that is true (which I know as a fact from talking with friends) is that it makes people think that whatever crime they make, they'll get caught ... so who knows, it might have a positive effect ...

9. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

^^that's how it worked for me. I saw the fiction, I did the research and I learned the truth. Now I'm interested in learning about how it's actually done and what is real and what isn't. I've gotten to the point where if I don't think something is logical on the show, I say it. My brother hates it because I'll randomly go "that's not right," or "I don't think that'd actually work..." but it doesn't deture from making the show entertaining.
    A lot of people are going to think it's real, just like they might believe all the diagnosises on House, MD are real (I have been told that a few of the ones they say that are never followed through, aren't real). But an intelligent person will either take it at face value and understand it's just a show, or look it up. If a criminal is worried about leaving evidence they're going to find a way to try and cover their tracks, whether by show, or by a book.
    Its one of those times where people just need to relax.

10. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

it really isn't an issue of the tv shows existing, its more an issue with human stupidity. For that reason, i don't believe the jury system works at all.

11. major_csi_fan

major_csi_fan Witness

Some of the techniquies they use on the show are wrong but some are correct i know this becaus i also watch a lot of real life forensic shows. Eg dna does not take 5 mins to produce results it can take months i understand that coz its a show it takes less time thought lol.

12. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Umm, I made some comments about the characterizations of the CSIs in the Forensic Questions site (Nov 16), but hadn't addressed the technology. My 2-cents worth: the technologies are pretty much accurate as described, but everything in the way of forensic analysis on the show occurs MUCH faster than it does in reality. And again in real life: the analysis almost never occurs while the scene is being investigated. Under normal conditions (huge evidence backlogs), the analysis will take place weeks or even months later.

13. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

And it isn't the same people who collect the evidence that process it. This is shown on Vegas, and a little bit on New York, but usually in Miami they do everything (except Horatio who seems to escape doing much except talking to suspects/witnesses and standing around looking important). In the RCMP, from what I've read, you decide where you want to work, and that's where you stay. If you collect, you don't usually process.

14. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

The television shows use the same people to collect and process evidence so that they do not have to pay extra actors for the roles. They do use some lab technicians, but cut corners to give the main cast some extra air time for the big bucks they receive. But in real life, they are two separate professions.

15. Sticks

Sticks Dead on Arrival

Out of interest, suppose you have an adequate sample from a person, and no backlog and dedicated state of the art equipment, how long would it take to get a profile, that could be used to determine paternity from a list of available profiles